E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Washing the car: what about the convertible top?

8K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  SD 328I 
#1 · (Edited)
I want my top to last forever, but I don't want to strip off my Ragg Topp protectant. I know that the top must be cleaned as dirt particles definitely contribute to wear of the top material.

So what do you guys do with your top when you're washing your car? Do you:
A) Leave it alone completely?
B) Just rinse it off with a spray of water?
C) Use your car wash mitt and soap, just like the rest of the car?
D) Something else?

Do you ever take your car to a "professional" hand wash? I wonder what they do? Probably C) is my guess.

Thanks!

#3 ·
When I daily drove a convertible I'd wash the car, spray the top down with water then use the BMW soft top cleaner (LINK) to clean the top. After getting the top nice and clean I'd apply the soft top repellent (LINK) to help keep everything nice and waterproof/looking good.
Thanks. I'm familiar with that clean-and-protect process, but I'm curious about what's to be done during the 6 to 12 regular car washes that come in between "treatments." You didn't do that every time you washed the car, right?

#7 ·
Was gonna hand wash my car this afternoon, prior to garaging it for the winter. But my hose is frozen! So will drive 20 minutes tomorrow morning to the only self-service car wash in lower Fairfield County. There, I will use soapy water on the car, but just rinse the fabric roof. I have taken it through a car wash before with absolutely no problems. But I just can't see how that can be good for it. Prefer to err on the side of caution. Didn't know about the BMW treatments available, so will use those next time

#9 ·
dirt will stick to the top if you just rinse water over it. I use a good quality soft shoe brush (for polishing shoes) and gently use it occasionally to whisk debris that sometimes gets on the top (spider webs, small crap from trees, etc.). I only use this brush for the to and keep it clean. I also use this brush to gently scrub the top (as the bristles get soft when wet) with a canvas top cleaner from 303 Aerospace Protectant. Eventually you'll have to reapply the protectant again anyway. I do it yearly with the 303. After about 14 years from living in New Orleans and then Chicago winters (parked during winter with a cover), the top is near the end of its life, but still useable on my e30 vert. To get good coverage vs. the spray bottle, I used a good quality brush (throw away after) - no streaks and it still beads a year later.

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.