E46 Fanatics Forum banner

what speakers do you reccomend?

2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Tommyboy 
#1 ·
i've been looking at mb quart and deciding between the psd216, rsd216, or pce216. does anyone have opinions on any of these? Also instead of mb, what other speakers do u reccomdend?

#7 ·
Just finished putting a 3 way Dynaudio set in the front of my coupe and must confess to being very impressed, despite no setting up as yet they are very smooth and detailed straight out of the box but don't seem too clinical or keen to "shout" their capabilities as some can.

Find Focals a little too bright for my liking, find them tiring to listen to - same as the Hex's and other Diamonds imo. Though i've yet to hear a set of MB Q's which don't make them both seem laid back

For a smoother sound, then Dynaudio, Morel or DLS are all worth checking out.

Drivers will probably contribute to the largest difference in sound that the end system will generate (as well as the actual installtion of said units), only way to be sure is to get out there and audition ... only some will be right for you and you really need to hear them installed in a vehcile-don't take a shop stand to mean a thing.

#8 ·
spr0cket - where did you get those DynAudio speakers from and how much were they.. I notice you are in the UK, where abouts? I am in Middlesex, North West London.

Do you know of the UK dealers for Diamond Audio, DLS and Dynaudio.
I know of a couple, but want to know more to compare prices, quality of installations etc etc.

#10 ·
Hi Tesh, I'm down in North Hampshire.
For Dynaudio, you're best to track down an authorised dealer as most will not discount but Dynaudio themselves tend to only use many of the better dealers to distribute.
Wentworth Car Audio, out at Virginia Water may be worth a try. Very knowledgeable staff.
Not sure if Prestige carry Dynaudio, they're down at Rayners Lane but they definitely both carry Diamond.

DLS can be sourced from CAD URL=http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk](www.caraudiodirect.co.uk)[/URL] best to give them a call fror pricing - I can recommend the UR36S set, ran this a couple of systems ago and they are superb units, mid bass is perhaps not quite as punchy as the Dynaudio drivers but the mids are superb and the tweeters very smooth. CAD also sell the Diamond range.

To be honest, the DLS and Dynaudio are both quite smooth whereas the Diamond drivers are quite different sonicaly. I'd suggest a visit to a dealer for audition before considering purchase of any of them.

I know someone who's just started importing the Morel (USA)units into the UK and could put you in touch for some introductory pricing. Though they still run near the same as both DLS and Dyn, again, very similar voicing.

#11 ·
Thats cool, I will check out CarAudioDirect.co.uk... know of any others??

I have a set of DLS R5A from my old 323 sedan... looking to either re-use these, or get diamonds... of dynaudio, depends on the price... How much were your Dynaudio speakers? What are these Morel speakers... how much?? Reason I want to keep the R5A speakers is that they were way too harsh.. and dont know why!!! I ran them in a 323 saloon E46 powered by my Alpine head unit CDA 7893. When I heard the Diamond HEX and M6 series, these were soooo much smoother...

Also, know of any decent amps out there... I dont want to overspend !!!

#12 ·
Overspend..... all a matter of relative relationships... my good lady tells me I spend relatively excessive amounts on my interests :)

The Dynaudio 3 way set retails at around 740, the two way around 450 I think. Though you may find a bargain on Ebay. Not cheap drivers but then comparable prices to the HEX range from Daimond. I've not heard many setups sound very smooth off a head unit, the amplifiers simply don't have enough in reserve to deal with the dynamics that a good set of drivers require. Music therfore sounds compressed, distorted and harshness sets in as the amp moves into clipping.

The JL 'XR' range are another worth listening to, a good balance between the almost bland flatness that the Dynaudios offer and the brightness and hardness of the Diamonds. I ran the 5.25" XR's in my last Audi and was very pleased with them.

As for amps, depends on the drivers you go for, both Morel & Dynaudio have very large voice coils to aid cooling and increase the thermal capabilities, though they do require more power as a result. I run all Genesis amplification which is as far as I'm concerned, as good as most mid to high end domestic kit. Again, not cheap... perhaps a used Phoenix Gold amp would be a good choice. Do you have any ideas currently on amplifiers as the list could be endless without more criteria ? I'd not consider using any of the drivers mentioned without external amplification if you want to get them performing at anything near their best.

#13 ·
I'm setting a cap for $500 for a set of speakers. for my amp i'm pretty settled on using an audiobahn 4x75w. I will be displaying the amp and the audiobahn looks the best to me right now. I guess a better question is for my price range what speakers should i get.... thanx in advance

#15 ·
I was looking at a set of Diamond M651 and a Diamond D5 300.2

I would consider stuff by others, but really want to stick to not going overboard since I drive like 6000 miles a year...

Looking at Genesis amps too, I like high end quality and will sacrifice pure power for lots of quality..

#17 ·
Don't know about the M661, but in another thread that's in the last few days, zameus said that he fit Hex S600's in with a little coaxing, i.e., no major mods.

The semi-rule of thumb is that any driver with a mounting depth close to 2.75" is going to be a tight fit, but luckily the coupe has a little more room in the door than the sedan.

If you're good with MDF and can make a mounting ring, you can surface mount whatever you want to mount and get around the mounting depth problem.

#18 ·
mb quart.....focal.....a/d/s....ect... They all make high end equipment. You can't go wrong with any of them. You're gonna have people sayin a/d/s are the best or Quarts are the best but one isnt factually better than the other. It all depends on listining tastes. The Quarts will be brighter and the a/d/s will be softer. I've always used Quarts and love em, but ive heard all three that i mentioned and they all sound amazing. Your best bet (and i know this isnt always possible) is to try and hear the brands ur considering and pick wut u like the best. Once again though.....u cant go wrong with any of them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.