E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Coilovers?

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Importjunkie 
#1 ·
So recently i blew my rear strut, fluid was on the ground beneath it, it clunks,rides like **** and so on. So i decided it'd probly be a good time to upgrade the suspension since it has 162,000 miles on the stock sports package suspension. Since im only 18 and going to college im on a budget of $500. The street edge coilovers have caught my eye. Im leanin towards coilovers because i feel like putting springs and struts together would be a pain to do. And i like the look of them lowered, but not slammed. It is my DD but i also like to do several auto cross events during the summer months. So im trying to find a good kit for what i do, just looking for suggestions and what youve done.

#3 ·
A $500 budget is just asking for further problems down the road... Either with cheap parts or with worn parts not getting replaced. I agree with Marshmallow; see if you can find somebody that's recently upgraded a still good condition suspension and buy their old parts cheap. If you decide to go new, assembling springs and struts really isn't that bad.

#4 ·
Just to throw it out there: I just did the Street Edge kit on mine, as a DD. No tracks will be seen. And for the price the kit was, double your budget for the rest - new mounts, etc. Because if you're going to be replacing the struts/shocks, you're gonna need new rear shock mounts, and reinforcement plates. Fronts, you'll need the new strut mounts, reinforcement plates there as well. Not to mention other bushings like CABs and RTABs and whatnot. And that's not counting if any of the clunking is due to subframe mounts/damage. And, if you're planning on doing any tracking, then you should be making a list of everything else, like the subframe kit, new tie rods, sway bar bushings and so forth. With 162k on the stock stuff, you're going to need to replace pretty much everything in order to feel at ease doing any auto-xing. I'm probably being generous when I say you should figure a good 2k instead of 500 bucks. Not trying to be harsh, just realistic. I spent $1000 just between the kit, and mounts and stuff, and then there was brakes, sensors, and then it was "well I might as well do this" a few times, and next thing I know, I've spent $2000. Because once you get into it, you're gonna realize what's wearing out, what's worn, and what is going to be soon. Just how it works.

#7 ·
Not to rain on any upcoming parades, but even if that's the route you want to go (the "do this part now, the rest later" part), make sure you still have a buffer for parts to replace as you go in. You'd be so much better off even just buying a stock replacement rear to hold you over, but if you insist on the kit, you're likely going to find plenty of worn or broken pieces you didn't even know about, that are going to need to be replaced. And adding a kit is going to just place more added stress on parts that are that old already. Be prepared to replace things a lot sooner than you're expect, unless you really could care less about the overall handling and safety of your car. I personally wouldn't trust stock mounts that are that old, with new components bolted to them.

#8 ·
i just priced new mounts for front and rear at $90 which isnt bad, ill do that but replacing bushings and different ball joints that may go bad dsnt make sense for me to replace now, id wait to do them plus some of them might of already been replaced ive owned the car for a year and put 10,000 miles on it and everythings been tight until a pothole blew my rear strut

#9 ·
Keep in mind when you lower the car, you should do an alignment as well. I would stay away from the racelands if you can. They may work fine to begin with but will likely degrade very quickly. With your budget, I'd just for a set of replacement shocks and save up till I can do it properly.

#13 ·
For non-M cars, we have both the Bilstein and KONI Coilovers in stock and ready to ship same day from $999.95 with free shipping.

All Bilstein PSS10 and KONI Coilover Kits (made in Europe) offer rebound dampening adjustability and come with a lifetime warranty. Feel free to PM for pricing.

Things to ask when buying cheap coilovers:

- Where are they made? They are made in China?
- Do they have a lifetime warranty? If not, why not?
- If they're too stiff, are they adjustable for softness or firmness?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.