E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Hit a deer insurance ?'s

3K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  Lou3viLL3sLuGGa 
#1 ·
I hit a deer , insurance is paying for a new hood, front fender, headlight and some other misc parts. My question is with saving money on the hood and a few others what things should I get? Anyone think that it's a good time to add projector headlights (OEM is 500 and depo is 550 at khoalty) and are they set to work well on a 02 325xi sedan 4dr? Also would the mtech ii bumper be a good look/fit? Khoalty, mod bargains or umnitza? Others?...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Umnitza and khoality both have horrible reviews in the rating section of this forum. I wouldn't go through either. Take it to a local body shop. Get a quote to replace the parts with something similar to what you already have. Go through insurance. That's my suggestion.
Whether you choose to go through insurance or not, definitely do not go through either of those companies!
I'll try to update with a link to the section with reviews for you. I'm mobile right now so it may or may not work...

EDIT: It's titled "buyer/seller feedback" in the classifieds section. Take a good, long read in there before you make any purchase! ;)

#3 ·
Umnitza and khoality both have horrible reviews in the rating section of this forum. I wouldn't go through either. Take it to a local body shop. Get a quote to replace the parts with something similar to what you already have. Go through insurance. That's my suggestion.
Whether you choose to go through insurance or not, definitely do not go through either of those companies!
I'll try to update with a link to the section with reviews for you. I'm mobile right now so it may or may not work...
I went through insurance and will take it to a local body shop Monday. Thanks for the help and not flaming for not searching enough I did try and look around..

#8 ·
check rockauto.com for purchase. and you can reference realoem.com for bmw parts... I haven't had to purchase anything like you will need to, so I can't reference much more as far as where to purchase. Please tell me how you're going to get insurance to pay for an mtech bumper. Always good to know things like that. ;)

#9 · (Edited)
Oh no, insurance companies are super easy to switch up parts such as trick bumpers substituted as a part of their scope. Not.

Body shops are delighted to fit strange, after-market parts owners drag in 'cause they don't have any mark-up or warranty concerns. They just pass on all additional charges to the insurance writer. Right. Good luck with that. Anything outside of original, as-is, condition will not be covered. Some arrangements may be made with the body shop that perhaps can drift outside the norm but owner provided parts are typically not well received.

#12 · (Edited)
Just fyi having lived in VT for four years the deer's VIN is located just below the left antler (ear flap if its a foal or female) and they're all carried by State Farm Insurance of course. :)

Sorry couldnt resist lucky you're ok and car took the hit I've seen pickups totaled from hitting large bucks etc.

Good luck with ride!

Edit: holy shite just noticed balloon on deer. "Get well" omg that's frikken hilarious... That you went to the trouble of getting it and taking pic etc, holy god I'm dying...

#13 ·
Just fyi having lived in VT for four years the deer's VIN is located just below the left antler (ear flap if its a foal or female) and they're all carried by State Farm Insurance of course. :)

Sorry couldnt resist lucky you're ok and car took the hit I've seen pickups totaled from hitting large bucks etc.

Good luck with ride!
Lol true, and thanks. I was surprised when I stopped and looked, I couldn't believe it wasn't worse. The car (hood) took the hit really well, I thought!

#15 ·
Basically, to get something outside of the paid quote agreement, there is little room to work. You will always pay out of pocket to get any labor adjustment as the labor rate they charge owners is higher than the rate insurance companies pay. They often won't allow owner supplied parts as, "our policy is, we can't warranty the work". They should say, "we can't mark-up owner supplied parts to increase our profits so we make up policies".

This all depends how reasonable your shop is. In my area, they're all crooks. The room you have to work is where they quoted high dollar factory parts where items you supply are cheaper then what was paid out. Watch out for part substitution tripping a labor increase where it's outside the original scope. An after-market bumper, for example, may require 2-4 additional hrs. as fitment or paint prep may be higher from a factory unit. Discuss before you assume a bumper is a bumper.

#16 ·
That's all good info and true. Thanks. I'm leaning toward painting the csl trunk and having OEM hood put back on. How much should it cost to get that hood buffed out a bit, maybe re-painted? Also would m3 front fenders fit? Look good? Should I just stick with the same fenders and bumper I have? Just wanting a bit more aggressive looking front end, nothing major...

#17 ·
What's some opinions on the hood and trunk options? Should I paint the cf csl trunk black and put the OEM hood back on? Put OEM trunk and hood back on with some needed buff and possibly repainting? Keep the ViS trunk and get a Seibon OEM style cf hood? Wait for ViS to get more OEM or GTR cf hoods in late may to match the ViS trunk? Bottom line does anyone know whether the ViS cf would look diff from the Seibon if I had one of each manufacturer and or do many think keep OEM?

#19 ·
If your getting the mtech ii id go with umnitza. I know they have bad reviews but it was fine for me. I got it pre painted and they shipped it the same week! Perfect fitment and the color matched perfect aswell! I couldnt be happier with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.