E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1M views 3K replies 571 participants last post by  se93 
#1 ·
I just received my BMW Scanner 1.4 (PA Soft) and love it! It installed easily and the scanner had no issues connecting and reading codes. I was also able to code the car to automatically roll the windows up by pressing and holding the lock button. Everything else was set the way I wanted, though I still might play around with the various features I can change.

I was disappointed that there is no manual ANYWHERE to explain how to use all the functions. This doesn't seem like something you want to play around with by trial and error. But it IS cool looking into the system to see what is going on.

I did the scan function when I hooked it up. It took a few minutes to go through and test every system and to identify what I had on the car, what wasn't on the car, what had a code and what didn't. Up til now I was reliant on AutoZone to read a code when I had issues. The only codes that were ever read were one for the CPS and another for the thermostat. Both were replaced and the engine light has never come back on. So I was a little puzzled when I saw all the codes below come up. The engine was cold. (Been turned off for at least 3 hours.) These codes came out of the log it created.

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> 50/A0 - Power supply, undervoltage

LCM -> Shadow-memory:
34/01 - Brake light, left
3E/01 - Rear fog light faulty
3F/01 - Turn indicator, rear left
40/01 - Turn indicator, rear right
46/01 - Sidelight 3, rear left

ZKE -> Shadow-memory:
8F/21 - Alarm memory: Panic modus was activated

BMBT -> 01/01 - Watchdog reset

XENL -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

XENR -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

Okay... I know that the alarm code came from either the dealer activating it for me after I installed the OEM system (Before I bought the scanner!) or from me activating the panic feature to test it when I picked it up. I figure the brake light faults were there either when I used to have issues with the ground before I fixed it or when I tested the new bulbs and lenses I installed a few weeks ago. I am assuming that the undervolt issues were caused when the battery died and I swapped in a new one. Anyway... I tried deleting all codes. They all went away except the ones below...

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> Shadow-memory:
50/20 - Power supply, undervoltage

I am wondering if the DME codes were thrown because I did this when the engine was cold. I have no idea why the SRS code keeps coimg back. I know that some cars will throw codes just because or at least have a tendency to throw them easily and are nothing to worry about overall. But I do have a few questions...

The CEL doesn't come on to tell me I have thrown a code and the car runs great. But I am curious to learn more about.
1. What do these codes actually mean?
2. Is there a PDF manual somewhere to explain the full functionality of the scanner?

Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#269 ·
Installed, looking for hardware

I just downloaded BMW scanner 1.4 from P.A software for free. They have it right on there website. I got it installed on windows 7 and it seems good, it says it found the drivers. I was wondering since I already have the software, is there somewhere where I can just get the hardware (cable and thing that plugs into car)?
Thanks

#274 · (Edited)
My software was put on a windows 7 laptop running 32 bit and downloaded with no problems

I had to manually load the drivers....it said "cannot find drivers" and prompted me to browse for them....once found them in C: they loaded right up

64 bit might not work...this is older software and likes older operating systems...
a dual boot or a virtual machine might be in order...it likes xp and 32 bit windows 7. You could buy a cheap older lap top and just run that as all the software for these cars like the older stuff. A net book would be ideal because you can sit in the drivers seat and mess with stuff. bigger laptops kind of get in the way

The hardware for the 1.4.0 is a special interface box so the universal cable for the other software wont work...the PA soft update is 100% yes on working...download it from their website

OBD2B.com is a website out of Honkong....mine was $67 shipped....the guy e mailed me with a tracking number almost right away and asked a week later if it arrived ok. It took about a week to get to my house. This software is worth every cent i spent on it....it continually saves me money.
http://www.obd2be.com/bmw-scanner-140-p-485.html

my mechanic charges $75 to run the codes and wouldnt even clear them
after buying this software i have run codes to do repair work at least 20 times....it has helped me solve ABS, DME, IKE, ZKE and mainly SRS Fault codes.

if i can help in any way feel free to ask....even the questions that seem stupid...if you dont know....you dont know. thats why were all here. If your car ran perfect all the time and you didnt want to mess with it or upgrade it...this forum would be useless.

I wish it PA soft recode ABS modules.....my 5df5 fault code and the $1000 to replace it when a used one will work fine is really annoying. So far ive heard that no one has successfully recoded the (teves) mk60. Not with GT1 or
car soft....possible NCS expert but ive found nothing on this. Other modules....ive seen have been done with success ...but not this one. Its unfortunate because i found 2 of them for $125 a piece....thats an expensive paper weight

#281 ·
Hey man, I downloaded the software from the PA website. It seems to have installed ok. For the cable I cannablised an old cheap multiscanner cable, soldered an RS232 on the other end then I got a USB to RS232 converter. I also downloaded the drivers for the USB port. Problem........I cant seem to update the PA soft scanner software driver, when I try to run the program it just tells me the hardware is not ready. Is this because I need the cable that comes with the program when you buy it? BTW im using windows 7 32bit.

#275 ·
Just to update you guys on xcar360....

They are out of stock but are still showing on their website that they have it in stock and will gladly take your money as they did with me. I emailed after about week of not receiving shipping conformation or anything. I got a reply 2 days later in terrible english saying they will be ordering more when they become available but aren't sure when. I asked for a refund but after no reply for another week, I luckily paid through payPal and opened a case to have my money refunded.

It may cost a few more bucks but order from here... http://www.dealextreme.com/p/bmw-scanner-car-diagnostic-tool-version-1-4-0-51768

Already received it after 4 days.

#277 ·
I ordered the scanner and the 20 pin cable on the 21st. Worrying about the shipment, I emailed them on Monday and got a reply on Tuesday saying the 20 pin cable was backordered and should be ready in about a week. An hour later I received an email saying the order shipped and had a tracking number. Hongkong Post says they received the package today. We'll see what happens.

Really need to reset my steering wheel angle sensor. My traction control kicks in after driving a few yards, then the DSC and ABS turn off.

#283 ·
I like many ordered my 1.4.0 scanner from xcar360. I was lucky and they had them in stock at the time and I got mine quickly. They also sent a software disc that I have been using with no problems either. My friend just got a 2005 ZHP that we have been using my scanner on. We were able to clear many codes, troubleshoot a wiring harness for the HVAC being unplugged, and changing key along with light settings. There was one code for the steering angle sensor not being plausible that we were unable to clear. My friend noticed that the disc I received from xcar360 had software from 2008. PASoft has updated software on their site from late 2011. When using the PASoft software we were able to clear the steering angle sensor code. I don't see any difference in the way the screens look or added features but the moral of the story is use the software on the free download from PASoft.

#285 ·
Xcar360.com OUT OF STOCK DO NOT ORDER

Hello everyone,
I just emailed xcar360.com to see if they had any of the BMW 1.4 scanners in stock and I also asked what the shipping time frames are, they responded very promptly (the same day I sent the email to them). Here is the message they sent me

Dear sir
Hello, the product is out of stock right now. We do not know where it will be in stock. As the shipping time. It depends on the shipping method. DHl and UPS takes about 3~~7 days to complete the shipment. EMS takes about 7~~15 days to complete the shipment.HK POST takes about one month to complete the shipment.wish you have a nice day.
Best regards
xcar360.com

So the moral of the story, they are out of stock and do not know when they will get it in stock. I would email them in a week or so if you are interested and ask for a status update on the stock of the product. As for shipping time frames.... it will probably take about a month like it says if you don't use another shipping method.
I hope this helps you guys out

#294 ·
Hello everyone,
I just emailed xcar360.com to see if they had any of the BMW 1.4 scanners in stock and I also asked what the shipping time frames are, they responded very promptly (the same day I sent the email to them). Here is the message they sent me

Dear sir
Hello, the product is out of stock right now. We do not know where it will be in stock. As the shipping time. It depends on the shipping method. DHl and UPS takes about 3~~7 days to complete the shipment. EMS takes about 7~~15 days to complete the shipment.HK POST takes about one month to complete the shipment.wish you have a nice day.
Best regards
xcar360.com

So the moral of the story, they are out of stock and do not know when they will get it in stock. I would email them in a week or so if you are interested and ask for a status update on the stock of the product. As for shipping time frames.... it will probably take about a month like it says if you don't use another shipping method.
I hope this helps you guys out
Got my confirmation email that mine had shipped early this morning! Guess I will see it after I get back from vacation at the end of the month.

Sent from my N860 using Bimmer App

#297 ·
#306 ·
You PM'd me and the system will not allow me to PM you back!

NO... Do not take it apart! The newer versions have the modification already done... So they say... Mine worked fine.

And to answer your PM... I don't recall if I received the CD.... But I did download the software from their site so it doesn't matter anyway!

#305 · (Edited)
okay, i had some time to finally upload some screen shots. Here you go.

1 - ZCS/FA coding - Options that my car has.
2 - program/all software functions available and errors
3 - different day with more errors
4 - DME erro details
5 - SRS (i triggered the airbag light and forgot which option(s) triggered it! under the OPTIONS colum) Maybe someone can look at see which one they have checked or not checked?

6 - SRS (this is the main error that it keeps giving me)

2E [046]Seat-Backrest locking, Driver The other one has been cleared already.

Attachments

#2,477 ·
Please help!!!!

I hate to bring this back from the dead, but I am seriously stumped. I am having the same exact same problem as what you show in these screenshots. Did you ever get this fixed!?

#319 ·
Just to clarify this for the 33rd time, the only cable that works with PA Soft is the one you have to order from xcar 360 or some of the other vendors. It's the one with the black box on the end.

Sorry if I pissed anyone off, but if you read at least one page into the thread it's answered...multiple times. Reading is fundamental!

Sent from my N860 using Bimmer App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.