E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Dynavin info: D99 PLUS (D99+)......Fall 2012

224K views 623 replies 153 participants last post by  gigidel 
#1 · (Edited)
Dynavin Navigation info: D99 PLUS (D99+)......Fall 2012

Dynavin "D99 PLUS"​

Dynavin has made some running changes to their D99 platform Audio/Video/Navigation Systems, some of you who are particularly perceptive may have already noticed. :read: Although most of the changes are subtle, they make for a more refined, easier to set up unit and that makes for happier users! (and less work for me) This new updated model is known as the D99 PLUS (D99+). As always, they are available in a variety of shapes and sizes to fit the BMW E46, E39, E53, E9X, E8X and an assortment of Audi, VW, and Mercedes models.

Details can be found on Dynavin's website, http://www.dynavin.com

Although they have been shipping for months in certain models the roll out has been somewhat slow. Dynavin has not been making much noise about it, probably because up until recently it didn't cover all models, I expect they will be promoting these soon. THIS IS NOT AN UPDATE FOR OLDER D99 UNITS, it is a mostly similar but in many ways new unit (think iphone4 to iphone4S). If you bought a D99 in the last couple months you probably already have one of these and didnt realize it!

....and the best part? The price went DOWN....:thumbsup:

Its time to open a discussion about these units as they are different enough to warrant their own thread and Q&A. As always lets try to keep this a Q&A, try to keep the thread informative, factual, and useful. Keep the speculation and opinions out of it.

Im just going to go over the changes here....for a more complete look at the Dynavin D99 units, check out the D99 thread here:
Dynavin D99 thread:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=895068

For yet more info, installation hints, and maybe a little history, check out these previous Dynavin threads:*
Dynavin D95 thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=881796&highlight=dynavin
Dynavin D90 (V5) thread: (The Big One!) http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793437&highlight=dynavin
Dynavin Android Thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839753

So you ask, what is the "+" in D99 PLUS? :hmm:

CD/DVD/USB/SD Screens Cosmetics

The CD/DVD/USB/SD screens now share the same basic cosmetic theme as the rest of the unit, black backgrounds, white letters, red or orange colorings. Previous offerings have always had a few different cosmetic looks depending on the source but now everything pretty much looks similar.

Reverse Functions

With the D99+ the reverse, backup camera, PDC (oem parking sensors), and their related audio settings are all configurable, you can even do a combination of features, like having the PDC graphic overlay the backup camera screen. While in reverse mode you can have the audio mute or only reduce its volume, you can also have the PDC beep (on vehicles where PDC is built into the stock audio system). Note the added settings (in the "hidden" factory settings menu). If you have none of these you can also just turn it all off.

Here is a short video showing some various setups you can have when the car is in reverse, first a backup camera, then PDC alone, then Camera AND PDC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbdbuo-BktE&feature=youtu.be

Password Theft Deterrence

Now the usefulness of this might be debatable, or maybe Im missing something.... I dont think Ive ever heard of a Dynaivn theft, and a password lock isnt going to keep it from being stolen, but it will keep someone from using it. In the WinCE units this doesnt really matter but I suppose in the android versions it would keep a thief out of your android apps that might have sensitive info. The password lock is not something you use every time, it comes into play when power is removed from the unit, once power is restored to the unit it will require a password.

Improved Bluetooth Phone Integration:

Dynavin is still using the Parrot bluetooth system but has changed a few things.
Minor feature but your paired phone's signal strength and charge level now display at the top of the screen on the audio screens, (or at least it does with the phones Ive tried). Bluetooth streaming audio quality is now almost indistinguishable from being plugged in (although the D99 was pretty good too).

AND NOW A BIG ONE, those of you who have been following dynavin for a long time know that there has ALWAYS been an issue with using streaming bluetooth and the nav system at the same time, there were workarounds but basically you needed to plug in to use your phone for music when also using the nav. NO MORE! Finally you can stream your audio from your phone AND use the nav system at the same time.

New Touchscreen

Small change here, only a change in the sensitivity of the touchscreen. Looks exactly the same.

Etc...
Plus a bunch of small changes in the name of refinement and stability. None of this is some huge game changer of a feature, but it combines to make the units easier to integrate into a given vehicle, and ties up a lot of loose ends for a more satisfying user experience.

Ill be adding more pics and info to this post as it comes up.

See less See more
#548 ·
Its for certain cars (like VW) that have a particular type of powered antenna, it provides voltage to the antenna.

#554 ·
im not a big believer in group buys.....lots of headaches and hoops to jump through for minimal (in most cases) savings, I prefer to just price a product as good as we can for everyone and not have a bunch of restrictions.

#557 ·
Yeah, I got your email about this.....

It doesnt work that way, you cant turn an android unit into a WinCE unit or vice versa, the hardware is different.

#559 ·
What kind of issues are you having....trying to reinstall the winCE system is not likely going to help you....that is almost never necessary.....I think I've only done it once or twice. It's FAR more likely you have some settings off somewhere, are misunderstanding something, or have a hardware fault of some kind.

#560 ·
Hi,

Problem descritpion:
-turning on, all ok
-when I try to select button "Nav", I get only black screen
-I try to select "Nav" over "Source" option, again same situation, "Black screen"
-and once more problem, when Radio is turned on, if I setup gear in "Backward", and automatic I get Camera screen, then after setup gear in First gear then I lose that radio sound (I hope you undersund this description)

Because of all this I think I need to make update of firmware.

Have you any other advice?

BR

#561 ·
Solved!
I get advice from reseller for Germany that I need to disconnect power more then 5 min. And all working ok now.
So if anybody have same problem that is solution.
Anyway it will be nice to have sokutio for update winCe.
So request for that is still stay.
Thx for all.
Br

#562 ·
Obd

Just finishing the first install in my 2003 325XiT and was wondering about OBD info. I've done a few searches in the Dynavin posts but didn't see what I was looking for. In the OBD screen, I only see 5 or 6 values displayed. I guess I could understand not having certain ones...oil temp or such....but it seems strange that one of the missing values is voltage, that should be an easy one. Am I missing something?

#563 ·
it will display whatever the car has available to it on the ibus, this varies by vehicle, model, year, equipment level, software version, etc... So no, you cannot make any assumptions about what will or will not display.

#565 · (Edited)
well....keep in mind no other stereo in existence displays any info from the ibus....so whether the dynavin displays 1 value or 8 in your particular car, its all a bonus. But frankly its a VERY minor feature.....most people dont even know its there, and those that do, take a look at it once or twice, and rarely again.

#567 ·
There are volume icons in the status bar, use them to set the relative volume of android to the radio functions.

#569 · (Edited)
is the android volume being controlled by the volume knob? If not, change the "navi sound" setting in radio settings menu.

keep in mind there are also volume settings within the apps themselves, and the statusbar volume function changes depending on what app you are running.

Also, if 15 is "normal" volume, you might want to go into the factory settings menu and change the AMP setting to COMMON. That will shift your volume range a lot and might better match the output of the dynavin to the factory amp.

#571 ·
Apps Control

Maybe I missed this somewhere in this thread as I skimmed thru pretty fast but I would like to know if you can control apps installed on your phone via the touchscreen. In particular AHA radio and Pandora. I have a 2013 Ram truck that does this and it is awesome. The phone is not connected to the system except via BT and the data usage is from the phone. In other words once I signed on to my accounts thru the Truck's system then I could control them via my OEM touchscreen.

#572 ·
Maybe I missed this somewhere in this thread as I skimmed thru pretty fast but I would like to know if you can control apps installed on your phone via the touchscreen. In particular AHA radio and Pandora. I have a 2013 Ram truck that does this and it is awesome. The phone is not connected to the system except via BT and the data usage is from the phone. In other words once I signed on to my accounts thru the Truck's system then I could control them via my OEM touchscreen.
Just so no one thinks Jeff didn't' reply we talked and he was very helpful. It's nice to be able to speak ear to ear. I am buying this unit and will report back on my impressions.

#575 ·
sorry but Im not following....."it goes to the root folder of the micro SD and nothing happens".....that doesnt make sense. Are you putting it in the correct sd card slot? It should be going in the Nav slot.

#579 ·
Hi Jeff I have one more question. I have iphone 5 and want to stream music from the phone on the dynavin. If I want to use the ipod interface on the dynavin, which cable should I buy? I notice the cable J&t offer is 30 pin while my iphone needs new lightning one so I need an adaptor? Will it work and charge simultaneously?

Thx dear in advance.

Regards,

Mo

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#580 ·
Yes, just use the apple lighting adapter, it will work and charge at the same time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.