E46 Fanatics Forum banner

The shop that does the s54/6 spd swap...What shop?

15K views 59 replies 19 participants last post by  Pete_repete 
#1 ·
Ive read on the forum somewhere in the past there is a shop i think in new york or somewhere on the east cost that will do the s54/6spd swap for around 8 grand.

seems like a good option for my 330i rather than buy an m3. anyone know the name and location of this shop?

#2 ·
Stookin, I would not recommend spending the time and money for an S54 Swap. There are a lot of shops around the WHOLE USA that can do the swap. I actually think you'll be better off in the West Coast. A lot more bimmers out there than here in the East. A 2001 330i is worth about $10,000 if it has under 100,000 miles + 8,000 of the motor swap you were planning on spending, and that's $18,000. More than enough to find a a great deal on a 04-06 M3. Plus you get better handling, better suspension, better interior, and the mindset of owning a genuine M.

If not, you can easily get an Mtech 2 kit, upgrade all of your maintenance items, exhaust, chip, intake and a lot of other mods...all under $5,000 and still have just as much fun as an M.

I would consider those two options.

#3 ·
Stookin, I would not recommend spending the time and money for an S54 Swap. There are a lot of shops around the WHOLE USA that can do the swap. I actually think you'll be better off in the West Coast. A lot more bimmers out there than here in the East. A 2001 330i is worth about $10,000 if it has under 100,000 miles + 8,000 of the motor swap you were planning on spending, and that's $18,000. More than enough to find a a great deal on a 04-06 M3. Plus you get better handling, better suspension, better interior, and the mindset of owning a genuine M.

If not, you can easily get an Mtech 2 kit, upgrade all of your maintenance items, exhaust, chip, intake and a lot of other mods...all under $5,000 and still have just as much fun as an M.

I would consider those two options.
For $5,000 on a non-M you won't get an M performance wise, and if you want an M motor/driveline in the first place you just made the swap sound not so bad.

Secondly, there are no great E46 M3s, especially 04-06s for under 20k. Maybe an 01-03 in pretty nice shape overall for $18k, but not an 04-06. And don't link me to some stupid example ads of a perdyy looking car from CL or cars.com, it doesn't prove anything.

#4 · (Edited)
well heres where i am at. my 01 330i has 155k on it right now. here in vegas its worth about 6500-7000 with the mileage its at. its either sell the 330i and put it towards an m car or keep my car and do the swap. my thought process behind the swap is. i know my car. i know what i have. i like having a sedan and the looks of a sedan. i know what has been done. im up on all my maintenance minus a diff service. suspension has been upgraded. done all the m3 and m tech 2 goodies. and a swap is about half and or a little less than an m car. and i can have all the fun and performance in my sleeper sedan and keep my car still knowing what i have.

#26 ·
The E46 M3 is a bit crude. The motor makes most of its power up top, and while you can reduce the rasp, you are really reducing a characteristic of the car.

They need valve adjustments, their Vanos' can and do fail (bolts, hub) and the Vanos costs $1200+

The bodywork is a touch flamboyant for many as well (E46 M only). Insurance is higher and many parts cost roughly 2x as much. M3s seem to "break" just about as often as non-Ms, but when they do you're typically in for a much higher bill.

Also, they don't have that much torque or get up and go below 4k RPM or so, and the gas mileage isn't great.

A turbo 330 will have more horsepower and torque (WAY more torque), cheaper insurance, a lower cost for average maintenance, and pretty much untouched gas mileage versus a stock 330. The gas mileage difference is pretty significant. My average is 17.5 city/32 highway. In an M it would be (and has been- driven many) more like 16 city/25-26 highway. Now, to support a turbo, you really need perfect brakes, stainless lines, up rated pads, a limited slip and a subframe reinforcement, so the cost of entry would on average be higher than just buying an M. To me- the extra is worth it.

#37 ·
Why does no one think about depreciation? You will actually end up spending more making your 330 like an M3 than you would buying an M3 because you will be spending more money and making the car worth less. On the other hand, an M3 is a standard car that depreciates like any half-special 5yr+ old car.

Unless you MUST have a sedan, like me, because coupes are for girls and old people ;P

#56 ·
I have a 2002 325ci with ESS TS2 kit and yes, installing a 3.38 LSD and sub frame reinforcemant kit is a good idea but talked to guys at Turner Motorsports and they said there is no need to upgrade anything else on driveline including the clutch. So it will cost roughtly 10,000 to do it properly. I've probably invested twice that into mine over time but I've had mine since new and love not having a car payment. Love the M3 but this seemed the easier way to go for me and easier on wallet.

#57 ·
I have a 2002 325ci with ESS TS2 kit and yes, installing a 3.38 LSD and sub frame reinforcemant kit is a good idea but talked to guys at Turner Motorsports and they said there is no need to upgrade anything else on driveline including the clutch. So it will cost roughtly 10,000 to do it properly. I've probably invested twice that into mine over time but I've had mine since new and love not having a car payment. Love the M3 but this seemed the easier way to go for me and easier on wallet.
10,000 "to do it properly"
+20,000 "invested twice that into mine over time"
+5000-12,000 - Initial car cost
--------------------------------------
= 35,000 to 42,000k on a 325i

Darn, some men just want to watch the world burn. :tsk:

#59 ·
Tru that but a 325ci that will leave any stock M3 behind and looks just as good. Around 350hp at flywheel and total sleeper. A decent E46 M3 even used around the time I purchased mine would have cost more initially not including any maintenance or repairs over time. I love moding and working on my car. If I'm not moding I'm thinking about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.