E46 Fanatics Forum banner

New SP Project

117K views 814 replies 80 participants last post by  323tom 
#1 · (Edited)
Well we are going to start dis-assembly on Tom's BMW tomorrow but we wanted to get a dyno of what the car is making now. The car has an HPF Stg 2 kit on it running 7.4 psi at Peak HP.

Soon it will have a SP built 10-1 motor, 76 billet turbo with quick spool valve, ProEFI on E85, SP exhaust cutout, larger HPF intercooler, 4" downpipe and a few other goodies!! We are shooting for 1000 RWHP !!

See less See more
#354 ·
Just arrived at my hotel in Ohio, wow what a journey... 6 hour trip that turned into 14+ hours lol few hiccups/think my clutch is on its way out already lol I really hope not tho lol going to call Larry in the am I'm running on less than 3 hours of sleep and have been up for more than 24 hours.. Keep you guys posted tomorow on my journey and everything else! Off to bed :)

#366 ·
What would you like to know about the oil system?
For those of us running the oil scavenge pumps, it would be great if we could switch to this type of set up. Is it a kit you will be selling or just a one time thing for Tom?

I only made the one set for Tom. I could copy them when Tom brings his car back over the winter. Doesn't HPF make something already like this?
They make a cover for the DME only, you made a cover which encloses the whole opening which is what Charlie and myself have been looking for.

Here is the link to the HPF DME cover:
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/HPF/Engine/Engine_Covers/DME/17222

#373 ·
That's pretty much how all HPF kits are, but my car never smoked while the pump is working correctly. I thought that it was some type of low gravity, vacuum set up that replaced the whole scavenge system HPF currently uses. I know that SAAD has something like this but not sure if it's available for sale yet.

#371 ·
Ah, that is how they made the fender flares! What a pain staking procedure...all those tiny pieces and welds. The end result is perfect.

Tom and Larry, this is officially my all time favorite M3 build of all times! Perfection! You figure there is 150K plus into this car? 175K? There is nothing in that price range that can touch this car so it may seem high, but in reality it is a bargain for what you have.

I would rather have this car than any cramped super high dollar maintenance exotic. You can actually afford to drive the piss out of this car with out the enormous HUGE maintenance bills of a Lambo or a Ferrari. Those cars will only see your tail lights anyways!

Well, maybe your rear tire bill may be right up there...LOL.

This is a SUPER CAR that can be daily driven and not be in the shop every time you run it around the block. This level of what can be done with an M3 makes perfect sense to me...in spite of the high initial price tag. It is so well done. Congrats!

#382 ·
That is not a sump, that is just the oil making a right turn! A sump should hold a pint or so and has to be vented so that the pump is at least moving air if not oil. When the pump is drawing against a closed system is when you have smoking issues.

#383 ·
that actually hold ~1/4 of a quart (1/2 pint) and is vented. it only needs to be big enough to contain the oil that drains from the turbo after the pump is turned off.

That sump system has been working flawlessly on the single turbo VQ setups for years now. The sump on my car holds a quart though.

#387 ·
I was always under the impression that for best results a turbo build had to start with a low compression motor of about 8:1.
Not so. Now, I am seeing numerous high compression builds. The most suprising one is Tom's 1000HP monster which is a whopping 10:1.
The benefits are obvious...better throttle response off boost.
What are the downsides? I dont see ANY...in this build anyways. Why are not ALL our builds started with 10:1 motors once the "built" motor comes in to play?

Larry, when would it be appropriate NOT to start with a high compression motor?
I dont see any reason now to use an 8:1 motor. There must be a reason or every build would be high compression. Can anyone explain?

#390 ·
...But then again if you own a turbo car.... YOU SHOULD BE RUNNING E85!
That is IF E85 is anywhere near you!
Larry, there are many places where E85 is not accessible at all or it's far enough to not make it worth it.

#391 · (Edited)
Finally got to see the car for the first time this weekend at Bimmerfest :drool:

The white wrap looks amazing and those recaro's look even better :thumbup:

It was nice being able to meet Tom Friday Night at the hotel, super chill guy

Sorry for the crappy phone pics:

Attachments

#395 ·
I keep getting text messages from Tom, he loves the car so far. A few little issues. The oil cooler keeps leaking a drop or two where the lines bolt to it. I replaced the o rings twice and thought we had it fixed but it seems to still be leaking a little. We had the fuel pressure set at 45 but I found out that is too low for the siphon for the saddle tanks to work properly. We handled that. Im guessing that somehow the large o ring that seals the pump hanger on the tank is not sealing properly. When you fill the tank to the top, it leaks. Just things to address when he brings the car back for the tubular manifold if he cannot fix them himself. Oh... and he hates the solid motor mounts. I knew that he would!! you can fell every vibration from the engine/tranny now. Kinda takes away from the beauty of driving a BMW. I knew that there would be a learning curve on a ny new platform that we do. The next one will go much smoother! Still not too bad for our first BMW!

#402 ·
Honestly 10-1 is not that high these days for a turbo build. I believe that the newer stock BMW turbo vehicles have similar CRs if not higher. If I was building a race only car that was to run unlimited boost then I would run a bit lower but for a street car with low boost on pump gas (less than 18-20) 10-1 is perfectly fine. The additional torque/power that you get off boost from the higher CR is great for a street car!

#403 ·
...The additional torque/power that you get off boost from the higher CR is great for a street car!
Very interesting!
Any before/after numbers, any graphs to substantiate that?

#404 ·
I believe the E9x is 12:1 compression, the S54 is 11.5:1. Both tuned optimally from the factory to what.. 91 octane? I personally (and this is my opinion) would rather have a car that drove like factory with a little more power but was built to REALLY perform when all the variables are at their highest potential (aka E85, Race Gas, what not).

Why would you want to sacrifice the very thing you intended to do with the car (drive it to its potential) by limiting its performance capabilities with proper fuel, etc by basing the build on making sure it makes bigger numbers (less optimally) on lesser quality fuel.

This of course is not as ideal with an HPF car being it has methanol injection and to switch to race gas requires draining your tank or running it completely dry. Unless I'm mistaken most HPF owners drive the car on pump+meth.. which is great (but I however am pretty against over complicating things and find the methanol systems to be to much monkey business). I'd rather buy a 55g drum of E85 and put a few gallons in at each fill up (if you're not near e85), or before going out to intentionally give it a thrashing then deal with the additional headaches or complications of a methanol system.

#405 ·
I agree Marcus, which is why all of our builds these days are at a CR of 10-1. With the newer computers that we have to run timing PERFECTLY, 10-1 is no problem for pump gas. Once HPF switched over to the Infinity systems I think they will start including higher compression in all of their builds.

#406 ·
And I agree with both of you! I am glad not to even have a meth system now. The thing (when I was SC'd) was pesky and always running dry. I do feel lucky to have a 24hr E85 station so close to me. I understand here are several more stations around in Broward and Dade counties. I just need to find them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.