E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Headlight Problem/Fuse

105K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Milford 
#1 ·
I got a warning light on my dash showing that the driver side headlight was out (mine's right hand drive).

I went ahead and changed the bulb using the correct spec, i.e. H7 55w.

However, the dash warning light was still on and the headlight didn't go on.

I checked the fuse box (I assume that fuse number 32 (5 amps) would relate to the headlight). I checked fuse number 32, but it was okay. The wires to the headlight seem fine. Both filaments on each bulb appear to be intact. Any ideas anyone?

I also noticed while I was in the fuse box that fuse number 26 was missing. My chart states that number 26 is: Over Heat JP. What's that?

My car's a 328i saloon (sedan) 1999.

Any help appreciated.

Brian

#2 ·
Looks like fuses #9 and #32 go to the light control module (the control module is right behind/integrated into the headlight switch) I don't see a fuse or relay for the headlights, it is probably done in the LCM.

I'd check the plug for voltage when you turn on the lights, you may have a bad earth (ground) Try checking the earth (should be a brown wire), and making sure it has little/no resistance to the car's body, engine lift hook etc...

Best case my guess would be a broken wire or bad connection, worst case would be a problem with the LCM. Try the tests for voltage first.

#5 ·
mine has done the same but on the passenger side and the indicator light is staying on. But is fine on full beam. Have your connectors got wet. Mine did while i was changing the power steering hose it was raining slightly. Might have to get a autoelectrician round. :(

#8 ·
I've always wanted to use this icon: :facepalm: I think it's great.

Well, this is just the right time to use it. I discovered that when I changed my bulb, I changed the high beam bulb when in fact it was the dipped beam bulb that had blown. That's why the dash warning light was still on. :facepalm:

Maybe I shouldn't have admitted to that.

Sorry to have wasted your time. Thanks for all your replies.

:thumbsup:

Brian

#10 ·
I noticed my dash indicator this morning, so I picked up some bulbs on the way home from the gym. Quickly swapped both out.... no dice. I was thinking fuse or bad ground... low and behold I see your comment here... and I thank you. Put the lights in the correct spot and BOOM.. they work.

#9 ·
check your side light bulb mine blow the other day and when I had side lights on on the side that had blown the indicator came on instead it´s a secret safety feature so you don´t go round driving with 1 light and look like a motorbike anyhow as soon as I changed the side light bulb the indicator stopped the in-car display stopped showing a lamp out

HTH

#12 ·
I've always wanted to use this icon: 🤦 I think it's great. Well, this is just the right time to use it. I discovered that when I changed my bulb, I changed the high beam bulb when in fact it was the dipped beam bulb that had blown. That's why the dash warning light was still on. 🤦 Maybe I shouldn't have admitted to that. Sorry to have wasted your time. Thanks for all your replies. 👍 Brian
OMG! - Here I am 12 years later reading your post and it helped me 100%!!!!! on my 2005 330xi ! I was going nuts trying to figure out why the passenger headlight was not working after replacing it then I searched online and ended up on this valuable post! YES! I was replacing the high beam bulb instead (icon: 🤦 ) Low & behold! Checked, changed it and back to life again. Thank you Brianabbott!!! Milford Silver Spring, Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.