E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Window regulator best brand???

68K views 60 replies 39 participants last post by  Ron ///Man 
#1 ·
I have 3 Window Regulators to replace on my 2001 325XI. Best brand other than BMW??? that might save a few dollars or is BMW superior????? I have read the DIY's and seen the Video's and am ready to go. Go for the aftermarket doorman?? or other brand??? Thanks, Mike

#5 ·
Well the OEM parts were shit to begin with and fail all the time so I'm not sure that there's an advantage to paying more for them unless you can get a good deal from a site sponsor.

I bought a driver's side rear window regulator from this website and it's been fine for over a year.

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/WindowRegulators/BMW/330i

Good luck on the DIY. It's easy but takes a lot of time. I have 2 pieces of unsolicited advice for you.

1. As you remove screws, use masking tape to tape the screws to the door panel near the place where you'll replace them.

2. Take your time when removing the vapor barrier and use a box knife or razor blade to cut through the adhesive.

#6 ·
I've had to replace 2 regulators pass/front & rear. I got the replacements from FCP Groton. I know that FCP is notorious for selling Chinese parts. It's more than likely that the regulators are from China. However, they have working perfectly for over 2 years.

#9 ·
Me & a buddy just replaced my driver side today with non-oem and when we took the old one out you can see there is no grease or oil along the stock regulators. We installed the new one with new motor and it was still slow and stopped every 2 inches on the way up; so we took some some kind of brake grease and ran it up and down the regulators & after a few runs up and down the window works great. Try greasing up stock and see if it starts working better if you wanna try to save a few bucks.

#21 ·
OEM should mount on window frequently use. Buy a clip is your best choice to save money, if the other part is in good shape. Do NOT operate the window when they failed, otherwise you have to buy a new regulator. I knew that because I replaced three of them in one year.

#23 ·
I agree, don't buy MTC. I got one from a sponsor a several months ago because i felt like it was about to die. I can't say anything about its durability, but, when I went to install it today it wouldn't fit. The threaded stud by the motor doesn't line up with mounting hole in the door. It's about 1/4" off. I could get it to work if I drilled out the hole bigger or if I used a Dremel to make a slot, but, I don't feel like trying to make this cheap piece of crap work. Going to an OEM regulator.

#24 ·
Bought MTC from ECS...failed within two weeks, and I had to pay a restocking fee because of that. Needless to say i don't recommend either.

Better to just go OEM if you can't just do the zip-tie mod. Fit perfectly the first try with no modification and runs smooth as butter. I vote www.getbmwparts.com and I've heard good things about BMW PartsSource

#27 ·
I've replaced 3 out of 4 window regs. I got them all from FCP Groton. Only 1 failed and it was replaced overnight with no additional shipping cost, even the return. Some will argue that their brand is inferior. However their service is outstanding.

#30 · (Edited)
regulator

Need 2 front and rear
I have been in the auto industry for 30 years and Dorman has always been a trusted name.
at this point I am leaning towards Dorman.
Pelican does not offer VDO for the front.
so maybe I'll go VDO rear, Dorman front?
But then I have to drive to Autozone. Ok Pelican it is, OEM front VDO rear
you cant beat free shipping to your door.
But wait, lifetime warranty on Dorman?
I plan on keeping this car a long time because I just really don't want a e90. Electric water pump?

#33 ·
^^ Ah, well that cleared it up.

Sorry, but the "electric water pump" was - Random.

Allow me to assist; You clearly need an E90 with an E46 body to include a Pelican spoiler with Dorman mirrors and a VDO gauge. Oh, and an electric steering pump.

There you have it, solved. Continued procrastination shall cease.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.