E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Could alignment work bring in clunking noise?

21K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Whinojosa 
#1 ·
Done my control arm and tie rod end replacement yesterday.
after that I immediately drove to a alignment shop and done the alignment.

while I was driving to there, there's no clunking IIRC

Today when I drove the car I found there's clunking in the front when have small bumps on the road.

my question is, is it because some loose nuts/bolts (maybe because when I tighten them, the car is not loaded)
or it might be caused by the guy doing the alignment?

(I have a camber plate, and he adjust it by loosen the three bolts holding the strut mount to the chasis, and smack the top )

Where could I check?

another thing I could think of is, when I put on the control arm, I tightened the bushing bracket first, and then the ball joints. I don't know if this is a wrong sequence and don't know if this could cause loose nuts when the car is loaded.

See less See more
#4 ·
Could be a loose nut or something. You should go back to the alignment shop and let the person who performed the alignment know that you are now experiencing some clunking/noises that weren't present before the alignment, so you want to double check to make sure everything that was adjusted is to the proper torque specs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.