E46 Fanatics Forum banner

xenon on non-xenon sedan

2K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  BMWMANIAC 
#1 ·
I have 2000 323i , i just installed one xenon headlight. When i first connected it i got the burned out bulb indicator. I finished installing the right side xenon headlight. And i wanted to adjust it level wise. I took a look at the dashboard and i noticed I DONT HAVE BURNED OUT BULB INDICATOR. I shut down the lights and i still dont have it (i know it shows only when you shut them down) i kept it shut down and nothing after half an hour.

I have daytime running lights programed is this why i dont get that burned bulb indicator light up???

I ordered RELAY already, should i install it anyway or dont bother since i dont have that burned bulb indicator light up ????

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINION. :tsk:

#3 ·
not sure dude.. i put them relays on mine to be safe :dunno:

#7 ·
im concerned about the extra power that is being sent to the xenons. Since i read that xenons use 35w and halogen 55w

This is the only reason i WOULD install relays, just to make sure my xenon bulb doesnt burn.

Am i the only guy who bought and installed first one side xenon then the other one ?

:D

#8 ·
BMWMANIAC said:
im concerned about the extra power that is being sent to the xenons. Since i read that xenons use 35w and halogen 55w

This is the only reason i WOULD install relays, just to make sure my xenon bulb doesnt burn.

Am i the only guy who bought and installed first one side xenon then the other one ?

:D
Wait are you telling me you only have one xenon headlight in your car.

#13 ·
my xenons don't cause an error msg either....i've had them for about 1 month and the only time i get the error is when i start up the lights while the car has been running for a while. they either flicker and start up or don't start up at all (which is the only time the error comes up).

relays and reprogramming seems to be too expensive if its not needed...that's like a month of gas!

#14 ·
lyon123 said:
my xenons don't cause an error msg either....i've had them for about 1 month and the only time i get the error is when i start up the lights while the car has been running for a while. they either flicker and start up or don't start up at all (which is the only time the error comes up).

relays and reprogramming seems to be too expensive if its not needed...that's like a month of gas!
Yes it does save enough for gas but if my headlights flickered often or didnt turn on at all I think I would want to know why and try to fix it........Ask your dealer what new bulbs cost or a new computer

#21 ·
SteverinO i will install them tonight.

why i installed one only ? Because i am waiting on one of youse to crash into a light pole so that my buddy at junkyard gets a crashed e46 :lmao: ;) (god forbid joking)

But its true, i got right side in mint condition for $150 , i am wating on a left one too, he got 2 sets of e46 lights today, i am wating for his call , my left xenon might be one of those.

:thumbup:

#23 ·
Re: steverino

BMWMANIAC said:
Steverino YOU DA MAN!!!

So far they work, i started the car and did not turn the lights on for an half an hour, the computer did not show burnt out bulb.

Thanks man, i sent u cash today, check that tracking number.

STEVERINO RELAYS WORK !!!
I dont want to knock the relays because I know they work (I have built them myself) but didnt you say there was no error message in the first place? Seems to me the relay didnt fix anything........you just saw what wasnt there in the first place.....

#24 · (Edited)
I did not test lights long enough. Sometime when you turn the ignition on the indicator for faulty bulb would come up instantly, somtimes it would take him 3-5 minutes. Then before the indicator lights up i would turn the xenon light on. Once i do this the faulty bulb indicator would never come on so i could not see it. I tried shuting off the xenon light after few minutes of having them on, and again after few minutes FAULTY BULB indicator would indeed light up once again. ( i found this out this morning on my way to work, when i said it last night i just tested it for like 1 hour since i just installed the right side xenon last night so i have my xenon for almost 24 h)

So to make my mumbuling short, I DID GET THE FAULTY BULB indicator light up this morning on my way to work, BEFORE i installed the relays but thanks god i spoke to steverino and ordered his relays few days before i installed my xenon.

Since i installed his relays yesterday ALL IS GOOD.

And once again. STEVERINOs relays WORK.:thumbup: i drove around for few hours without the xenon on and faulty bulb indicator did not turn on at all.

Thanks STEVERINO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.