E46 Fanatics Forum banner

New Year, New E46 Xi owner? Car evaluation thread!

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  miweber929 
#1 ·
Hey folks. I'm in Madison, WI looking into some '02-04 Xi's. The ones right now that I'm looking at are:

'02 in Chicago with 68k on it for $9400 or so.
Probably no service records
No packages. (Premium/Cold/Sport)
From a Toyota dealership with a giant inflatable blue gorilla.
Rust unknown. Lower mileage car. Not sure if 68k in Chicago is typically rusty.

'02 in Madison with 114k on it for $9600 or so.
Purchased from the dealership it's for sale at. All services were done there and the records are available.
All packages (as far as I know). Premium+Cold+Sport
From a local BMW dealership, where it was serviced and purchased originally.
Rust near rear 1/4 right above the trim line, both sides.

I'm a little swayed toward the local place because I can actually take it back there if things pop up the first week or something. Opposed to having to drive to Chicago. Which I would probably never end up doing. This local place also works directly with the lender I'm using for the car.

Curious what you all think of both of these. I'm also not in a hurry and can wait for a few months so I can easily wait and see what else comes up.

And Happy New Year! :str8pimpi

'02 in Madison

'02 in Chicago

See less See more
#3 ·
If you could get the Chi-town car to an indy mechanic for an inspection, that would help-but it doesn't seem practical due to distance. The lower mileage would be more appealing to me. Is Madison near Devil's Lake? (I think Baraboo, WI). I had a fun time there a few years back.

#4 ·
The Madison one gets my vote. I'll take higher mileage and certainty of service history over a Chicago car with unknowns any day. You driven in Chicago lately? The roads there suck and a 10 year old car with 70k is only 7k a year, probably short trips and no maint.

I lived in Madison for 6 years a while ago, plenty if good Indy shops that should be able to give a decent PPI. Have the dealership pull the service records and take them with you to be sure they were done when the other shop inspects the car. It's worth the $100.

#6 ·
Yeah a PPI is already in the plan. Thanks! I was hoping no one was going to tell me I was an idiot for considering a high mileage car.

The roads there suck and a 10 year old car with 70k is only 7k a year, probably short trips and no maint.
Great point. I didn't even think to consider the roads there and the fact that it's probably seen more wear and tear than the higher mileage car.

#11 ·
Hey, um, he didn't actually buy one yet. Maybe instead of saying "nice car" to random people you actually make sure the products you sell work.

I'm a little annoyed after hearing all these rave reviews of XCars code scanner and software interface I ordered one, waited a month to get it only to find it doesn't work. At all. And then reading a bunch if us that made recent orders don't work the same way.

Their solution after several emails back and forth? Send it back to China for them to look at it at my cost both ways, so another 2 months of waiting.

This little POS plastic thing should cost them $1.00 to make, you'd think they'd just send out a replacement. You get what you pay for, and unfortunately this was my first bad overseas knockoff purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.