E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Let's DIY aux input cable.

873K views 805 replies 319 participants last post by  Auxburgo 
#1 · (Edited)
This is not how to install aux input cable rather how to make it.
Seriously, I don't want to spend about $50 for a stinking cable.
I'm in Canada and usually BMW parts are more expensive than US.

Let's get started.

1. This was male on both end and I just cut one side.

2. Close up

3. Some people might wonder what this is.

This is a cable that I found from my old computer I was about to throw away. This pin connects to motherboard for power switch, reset switch, hdd led, power led, etc.
Do not cut the other end of this cable, just pull the pins out. It will help you to solder it. :)

4. See? It is so much easier to connect them to solder it.

5. 3 small and 1 big heat shrink tube.

6. Ok. It is done.

7. From HU, pin 8,9(left,right or right,left don't care too much. :D ) and pin 4(ground) need to be connected.
You will be surprised how well it fits. :D

8. Finished

Total cost $0. Because I found everthing I need at home and it works great. :D

See less See more
#615 ·
I know this question has been answered numerous of times but how do I know for sure if my CD player is compatible with the AUX? I took apart the cd player and it says the production of it was 16.04.2003, so will it work? And also when I check in my trunk, it doesn't have the tab that says that it is prewired with satellite radio. Did any of you guys who don't have that tab also get it to work using this DIY?

Last question, does it matter which direction i put in the POWER SW and the RESET SW? Which one goes on top and which one goes on bottom?

Thanks!

#618 ·
Yes, you should be fine to make an aux in.
You do not need a CD changer, you are just going to use the port on the back of the head unit.

Not sure what you are asking in the last question though.

Also, for those who are not getting the aux with the proper software, date of manufacture and are sure of their soldering in the cable make sure the connection at the actual head unit is secure.
Many times it is possible for the wire to come loose while clicking the harness in place and replacing the radio back in. Specially since the radio harness is very short and there is not much room, I had to re-connect the plug a number of times before I could get the connection secure.

#619 · (Edited)
Hi guys I'd really appreaciate some help with this very annoying problem I'm having in installing a aux input..I have a production date 9/2001 M3 with Navigation head unit. Obviously I won't be able to buy an OEM aux input from the dealer (only 9/2002 and up production date will work as I was told by the dealer) so now I'm trying to install a blitzsafe or a similar product through the CD changer input in the trunk.

Problem:
Navi Head unit works fine when playing radio or using navigation, and when loading the CD changer with CD's, the head unit recognizes which slot # has a CD and which doesnt, and it will show the CD and track selected (allnon MP3 CD's) for example 2-04, but THE SOUND WILL NOT COME OUT. I've tried 2 other CD changers in addition to mine and they are all exactly the same. Is there anything I need to do to reset something? could it be wire connection or a communication between HU and Cd changer problem? But if so then how come the HU recognizes there is a CD in the changer? My concern here is if there is a problem with the wiring from the changer to the HU.

As a last resort, I was thinking about just buying a Blitzsafe and connecting it and see if it works or not (and possibly throwing away $120).

#620 · (Edited)
Hi guys I'd really appreaciate some help with this very annoying problem I'm having in installing a aux input..I have a production date 9/2001 M3 with Navigation head unit. Obviously I won't be able to buy an OEM aux input from the dealer (only 9/2002 and up production date will work as I was told by the dealer) so now I'm trying to install a blitzsafe or a similar product through the CD changer input in the trunk.

Problem:
Navi Head unit works fine when playing radio or using navigation, and when loading the CD changer with CD's, the head unit recognizes which slot # has a CD and which doesnt, and it will show the CD and track selected (allnon MP3 CD's) for example 2-04, but THE SOUND WILL NOT COME OUT. I've tried 2 other CD changers in addition to mine and they are all exactly the same. Is there anything I need to do to reset something? could it be wire connection or a communication between HU and Cd changer problem? But if so then how come the HU recognizes there is a CD in the changer? My concern here is if there is a problem with the wiring from the changer to the HU.

As a last resort, I was thinking about just buying a Blitzsafe and connecting it and see if it works or not (and possibly throwing away $120).

#621 ·
If the CD changer works without a problem and the problem is that there is no sound, I would suggest that there is a break or a loose connection from the HU to the speakers. Most likely that a connector which carries sound from the changer to the speakers is loose and therefore while the CD changer works, the sound it not getting through to the speakers.

Check the rear of the HU and ensure that everything is connected. Same with connections back in to the CD changer. Buying a Blizsafe or similar product that connects in place of the CD changer will not solve the problem.

#622 ·
I don't think I did a good job explaining. The problem isn't that there is no sound. The sound comes out when playing the radio, its when trying to use the CD changer that the sound won't come out. It has been like that since I bought the car a month ago..The display on the HU even shows which CD and track is selected, but no sound. The reason this is an issue for me is that I'm trying to add an aux input using a blitzsafe through the CD changer input, and before buying the blitzsafe and attaching it to the CD changer input (I don't even want to use a CD changer and am planning to take it out) I was trying to make sure that the line to the HU works so I'd be able to add a aux input. VERY ANNOYING problem considering my GF's ford focus has a factory aux input :censor:

#623 ·
Yep, I get what you're saying. It is possible for the CD changer to be connected and show the correct display on the HU without actually pushing out any sound.

That's why I recommended that you check your cables. I had previously used a hack posted on the forum where I could bypass my CD changer and DIY an aux input. The CD changer would still swap discs etc and the display would show the disc info.... the sound would come from my MP3 player. So, check your cables and ensure that everything is connected and matches up.

Fitting a Blitzsafe without further diagnosis will not fix your problem.

#627 · (Edited)
Hi guys need some help. I'm trying to take out the navigation HU from my dash (2002 M3). I've already removed the AC/heater ventilation and a couple of visible screws on the head unit but am kind of stuck. I couldnt find any decent link that explains the process. Is there a special tool thats needed just to take the Navi HU out? Anyone have a link? Thanks in advance.

#628 ·
Alright, pretty much have my AUX cable complete but i have a quick question...

I used an old pair of headphones that were about 1 year old. This is what it looks like when cut... Wire Tile Line Floor Wall

Now, i know i have to connect the two ground wires together, but i am sort of worried/confused about the input wires. Both the left and right wires are separated by being in separate rubber tubing, but the ground wires are also touching the wires. Will this short anything out? Better safe than sorry :thumbsup:

#630 ·
Alright, pretty much have my AUX cable complete but i have a quick question...

I used an old pair of headphones that were about 1 year old. This is what it looks like when cut... View attachment 452793

Now, i know i have to connect the two ground wires together, but i am sort of worried/confused about the input wires. Both the left and right wires are separated by being in separate rubber tubing, but the ground wires are also touching the wires. Will this short anything out? Better safe than sorry :thumbsup:
They will be fine. It looks like one wire is Red and the other is Blue. Correct?
This is common on most headphone wires. Even though it looks like the wire is bare, it is coated. You will see the coating burn and bubble when you go to solder them. If you are not soldering the wires, when you go to put connectors they may not work as the wire will be insulated with the coating still. Make sense?

#629 · (Edited)
hey guys, ive made the DIY cable with the 2 caps and the resistor installed, but Im having a ground loop problem. I know that this MAY be solved by a ground loop isolator, but the one I picked up form The Source (equivalent to Radio Shack) didnt work.

At this point, I dont mind paying $50 bucks for the retrofit cable, as long as I know that I wont have any issues with ground loop on the OEM cable. Can someone verify that if I have something plugged into the car cigarette lighter charger, and also the aux, that there will not be engine whine or ground loop noise with the OEM cabl?

#634 ·
Your Da Man!!!!!

Thats What I Call A Post!!:clap: Just 1 question do you or any1 else know if the connectors are the same on the back of a standard BMW tape player. Any replies would be appreciated..

#636 ·

Thats What I Call A Post!!:clap: Just 1 question do you or any1 else know if the connectors are the same on the back of a standard BMW tape player. Any replies would be appreciated..

Very curious, I have a tape deck as well.
:excited:

#639 ·
I read this ^ earlier today and literally just got done and it sounds amazing!! I have a 2000 with a tape deck, followed the directions on the link in the previous post (#638) It cost me zilch, nadda as I had all the stuff already at home and total time with testing and running the wire through my dash took maybe an hour! Very happy with the sound quality as well! I was using a cassette auxiliary adapter and the first thing I noticed with the mod... noticeably higher treble and an amazing increase in bass, hands down sounds better than the CD player (in trunk) and even the radio.

I suggest if you have the older stereo with a tape deck to do this mod if you want good beats in your car!

#643 ·
I just opened up my old computer and took apart my dash just too see how easy this install would be and I have a few questions.

1. How do you get the big black box out of the back of the stereo (the one with all the cables coming out of it) Is it just a firm pull? Im afraid ill break something if I do that.

2. Theres a few cables that connect to my motherboard and I'm not sure which ones to use so I took some pictures

Theres this one:

This one (Theres actually two of these) If i had to make a guess i'd say this would be the cable to use? :dunno:
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

And this one

And sorry for crappy cell phone pics. If anybody could help me out id really appreciate it :hi:

#644 ·
The black box is a bit tricky at first, but when you figure it out it's pretty easy. There's a clip over the top that is the size of the plug itself, it slides straight up. It takes a little bit of effort and feels like you putting to much strength into it, but its pretty strong. Once it slides up it will actually move all the wires at once and it all comes off at once. After that there is a blue clip that you have to slide out to remove the cd cable.

As far as the computer cables go, I personally used two of the cables you have pictured in first picture

Hope this helps!

#645 ·
I finally got everything working even the charger for the phone BUT I got real crappy sound. i put it down to 3 things,

1: I am playing my music through the bottom of the phone/ipod & not the Jack port (were you would plug in the headphones)

2: I am using phono wires

3: crappy wiring ( even though i used a solder to join my wires

Any1 Please HELP!!! any help would be very much appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.