E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Dynavin info......D99 (new for 2012)

409K views 922 replies 208 participants last post by  325TI_Compact 
#1 · (Edited)
Code:
Dynavin D99

Here we go.... Just like the threads I started in the past, Im starting an official Dynavin D99 thread since these new units are now out and shipping. Ill be adding to and filling out this post over the next few days and weeks.

This thread is for D99 questions and info only. In order to keep info clear and accessible for future readers PLEASE try to keep opinions, speculations, and other unrelated discussion out of this thread.

If you have a question or concern that does not relate to the new D99 units please search or post in one of the existing Dynavin threads.

Dynavin D95 (V6) thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=881796&highlight=dynavin
Dynavin D90 (V5) thread: (The Big One!) http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793437&highlight=dynavin
Dynavin Android Thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839753
Android Development thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=892583
D99 Pre-release speculation thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=886222

New for 2012 Dynavin has released the D99 Navigation system for selected BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and VW cars. This unit will compliment their existing D95 units as a higher end model. While some things are carry over from the the D95 units, the new D99 will offer some features that have not previously been available from Dynavin. They have teamed with Parrot for the bluetooth system, have added an interface with the cars OBC, and have added Park Distance sensor support for cars so equipped.

The Android/WinCE "navigation side" of the units is unchanged.

Now for the good stuff....(will be adding content, for now here is a video of a D99 WinCE unit in action)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2S2iBKPwFQ&list=UU6rH4vNH5VlWKqz6sbnPhag&index=1&feature=plcp

Whats in the Box

USB Extension
ipod cable
bluetooth mic
wire harness
RCA input harness
RCA output harness
Remote
Antenna adapters
ibus interface box
gps antenna

Pretty much the same as the D95s, everything you need for a basic install. As before, cars with oem Nav require the "fakra cable kit" to extend all of the connections to the trunk as nav cars radios are actually in the trunk.

Source Selection Home Screen

There are two screens here, you can "swipe" the screen back and forth, the (probably) most common sources (radio, ipod, phone, etc) are on page one with the less common sources (USB, TV, etc) on page 2. You can also access the settings from here. I like the large clear buttons, it makes finding a source while driving quite a bit easier.

Settings Screen

As in the past the Dynavin has a fairly simple audio feature set, no fancy 32 band EQs or time alignment here....similar to stock, bass, treble, fader, balance. It does have a separate sub level control for the subwoofer RCA outputs for those running aftermarket subs.

One thing to point out in these menus as it is often missed.... the "DIM" function affects how the screen dims for night driving, you active this by HOLDING down the MUTE button, changing the DIM setting makes the screen dim or shut off completely depending on your preference.

Radio

The new radio interface is all big, clear, easy to press, touch screen buttons. The white text on a black background is also good for visibility. The radio can be configured to tune in US, Euro, or Asian frequencies. Pretty much works as expected.

Bluetooth

Dynavin has teamed with Parrot on the bluetooth. This adds phonebook functionality to the unit. It paired with my iphone within seconds and my phonbook was there and ready to use a few seconds after that, no need to do anything extra, it was just there. There is a keyboard for alphabetical search, you just start to type and once you are a few letters in you should see the contact that you are looking for. As far as quality goes, that is up to your mic location, your phone, your voice, how loud your car is, and a bunch of other variables. I personally had pretty good results putting the mic in the factory location but your results may vary.

Bluetooth streaming works as it has on previous dynavin units, although now with a slightly better layout of play/stop/track controls.

Hint: If there are multiple numbers for a contact you can press the number and it will cycle through the other numbers.

Hint: if you find it hard to select the contact at the very top edge of the screen you can do a screen calibration by selecting AUX as the source, and holding down the 8 button on the remote.

iPod

The ipod interface is an improvement over past dynavin versions but isnt perfect. It DOES have the ipod resume feature missing in the older units. So when you start your car, the ipod will start where you left off. As you can see in the video and pic above there are page forward and back buttons, and the menu button goes back a level. Holding down the menu button jumps back to the playlist/artist/album/etc... screen. While you can page forward and back there is no "alphabetical" search so if you have A LOT of artists it could be problematic, I have a couple hundred on my ipod and it isnt a problem but I can imagine it would get tedious if you had a thousand... If this is a problem for you consider getting an android unit and use the android media player and a SD card for you music instead as it DOES allow for more rapid scrolling.....

CD/DVD

SD/USB

The CD player and SD/USB digital interface are carry over from the D95 units and just like in the D95 they are cosmetically different than the other sources. That said, the SD/USB does require a different type of interface as it is folder dependent. I havent tested it yet to see if it has any limitations in levels of folder navigation, number of files etc...

Navigation WinCE

This is a screen shot of a WinCE unit running the Sygic Drive navigation program (a licensed copy comes with the units we sell but this may vary by dealer). The WinCE units will run any number of WinCE compatible nav programs, iGo Primo is a popular one here among the forum members, there are other threads dedicated to those other programs.

Navigation Android

The Nav setup on an android unit is totally different......read the original android thread for details, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839753 and if you dont you do so at your own risk!

to be continued.....

See less See more
#713 ·
that pioneer is a high end "competition" caliber head unit with time alignment and a big EQ.......not really comparing apples with apples....

#715 ·
I just saw that you have an A4 unit.....not an E46.....the lighting works completely different on the A4 unit as its controlled by the canbus interface box. Ive not heard of your specific issue from any of my audi customers but it sounds to me like something is not right in the canbus box.

From the other issues you mentioned on the other thread I really think you need to get in touch with whoever you bought it from and try to work things out....you have a couple of problems, and it looks to me like they are both hardware related, should be a warranty item.

#716 ·
D99 microphone specifics

Does anyone have good knowledge of the microphone on the D99? I have the universal android model. I am rather sure it uses Parrot equiptment.

The supplied mic is a single unit with a mono male 3.5mm plug (single tip and single ring).

I have another Parrrot mic that I had laying around from a different parrot setup. It used a dual mic setup. I has a 3.5 mm male plug with tip and 3 rings.

I assume the 3.5mm female in the D99 is mono and will not use the benefits of a dual mic setup, however I currently cannot access my D99 as the vehicle is in the shop for the next 2 weeks. Yet I previously removed the trim piece where the mic will reside and would like to mount it. Does anyone have knowledge the D99 mic setup? Will I have to use a mono plugged mic?

I was hoping to squeak out some added clarity with a better mic setup.

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

#720 · (Edited)
Yes they have RDS. Ours come with a licensed copy of sygic. Igo 8 is what they used to come with a few years ago.....some people are probably still selling them with it (but it's hacked....probably not a good move as a business)....

#725 ·
On the d99 it's just a setting, dynavin logo by default but can be set to match the vehicle. it's seen for a couple seconds when the unit starts up.

#726 · (Edited)
Hi Jeff, I just purchased the Dynavin D99 WinCE model from you along with the E46 camera. Everything looks good so far and I appreciate the prompt service. I'm still doing the install myself but I am having a problem with the how to on installation. There are really no installation direction provided with the unit so I had to go to a how to site which shows how it is done on a SAT/NAV E46 but it was done with a V5, should I be following those instuctions exactly? Here is the page :

http://lemalife.wordpress.com/2010/...head-unit-in-an-e46-2005-m3-w-oem-navigation/

I have a couple of questions :
1) I have installed the camera on my boot but about the wiring, Could you tell me where the wires go? Do I connect it to the fakra cable with the green wire that has a label "reverse"? And if so, do I have to send the extra long Video jack (yellow RF plug) wire that was provided with the camera back to the front to plug into the the Dynavin to the labelled jack that says "Camera"?
2) How do i connect the steering wheel controls? Are they also done in the back with a small box that was provided? I'm tailking about the little box that has a mini usb input on one side and a rectangular eight pin on the other. If not, what is this box for?

Please get back to me ASAP as I have my car all opened up and I can't wait to use the Dynavin.

Cheers,
Sydney (syd9d@yahoo.com)

#728 ·
I have a couple of questions :
1) I have installed the camera on my boot but about the wiring, Could you tell me where the wires go? Do I connect it to the fakra cable with the green wire that has a label "reverse"? And if so, do I have to send the extra long Video jack (yellow RF plug) wire that was provided with the camera back to the front to plug into the the Dynavin to the labelled jack that says "Camera"?
2) How do i connect the steering wheel controls? Are they also done in the back with a small box that was provided? I'm tailking about the little box that has a mini usb input on one side and a rectangular eight pin on the other. If not, what is this box for?

Please get back to me ASAP as I have my car all opened up and I can't wait to use the Dynavin.

Cheers,
Sydney (syd9d@yahoo.com)
Sydney - can't help with most of it but I do know the black box is for the steering wheel controls. The mini usb port goes nowhere, but the eight pin connects to the unit. There is a lot of info about it in this thread so I guess a careful read of the other pages will help you with your Question 1.

#732 · (Edited)
DO NOT USE THE NEW ROM UNLESS YOU HAVE A BRAND NEW UNIT.....

Dynavin changed the touchscreens on the last production batch and with that change came new touchscreen drivers. So if you have a unit that was manufactured before July/2012, use the old ROM, after July/2012, use the new ROM.

You can tell which one you have by looking at the source selection screen (thats why dynavin has pics of each next to the download link). Im going to contact them to help them make that page more clear.....

If you update and your touchscreen doesnt work, you used the wrong one.

#734 · (Edited)
the screen has been the same since the V5 units.....so glare is not too much different. I think the D99s are a little easier to see simply because of the color scheme. D99s are mostly white on black instead of orange on black.

Glare was the worst on the old D30 (V4 and earlier) units as the screen was reflective like a mirror. Although there is still plenty of glare (the screen is pointed at the rear window after all) its not a complaint I hear much any more.

#736 ·
Ive already made some suggestions.

It wont do any harm, it just wont work!

#739 · (Edited)
Thanks Jeff for the help on the camera issue, I wired it like you said and it works great. I'm really loving the D99, I just completed the install myself and thanks to these forums, especially Jeff, I came out with no complains whatsoever. There is only one issue, well really a question :
My unit comes preinstalled with the Sygic program and the US maps. I live in the middle East, is there a Sygic site I can go to to obtain the middle east maps for my area? I have been to the Sygic site but it shows only maps for Mac based and Android based systems, no Windows CE. Should I download the android maps for my region and install them on my mini SD card, would that work?

#742 ·
issues

jeff,
i'm having an issue with a backup camera...
if i have PDC and Camera activated the camera comes on when in reverse, but if i change it to just Camera in the hidden menu it doesnt come on in reverse. annoying, seeing i do not have PDC..

also, can you change from metric to standard units of measure in the OBC display?

Thank you in advace

#744 · (Edited)
jeff,
i'm having an issue with a backup camera...
if i have PDC and Camera activated the camera comes on when in reverse, but if i change it to just Camera in the hidden menu it doesnt come on in reverse. annoying, seeing i do not have PDC..
sounds like you didnt connect the green reverse wire to the reverse light circuit? If you dont have PDC is a standard reverse camera install.....connect power to the camera, usually from the reverse light circuit, and also connect the reverse light wire to the reverse trigger wire on the headunit.

#750 ·
PDC screen not coming up

Hope someone can help me with this problem.. My e46 has standard PDC from fabric, whenever i back up my car the D99 does not show any PDC screen.
I have checked aux+9 menu option and was already at OSD. Steering wheel buttons and OBC works.
My dynavin dealer does not respond to my mails, hope you guys can help me out