E46 Fanatics Forum banner

DAILY UPDATES

6M views 45K replies 4K participants last post by  yjsaabman 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the daily update thread! Post any mods, repairs, whatever you have done to your E46!

Today I

Debadge the trunk lid (roundel still intact)
Added black grills
Yellow fogs
Clear front reflectors (PITA!!!)
6K D2S bulbs

See less See more
#24,781 · (Edited)
My disa gasket was .35 cents from advanced auto parts

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Well played, sir! :D When I checked mine, the O-ring was still pretty snug. I believe PO replaced the whole DISA unit, because there was no real slop in the flap or other signs of excessive wear.

#24,784 ·
Had some trouble on icy slopes but managed to drive it home safely. There are no snow plows in this city.
I think there is one, but he was pretty busy.

#24,785 ·
8 inches is greater than the ground clearance of you car so I doubt it was that much.

Also this thing of northerners laughing at people in the south having hard time with a little snow pisses me off. Let's see how well a city in Canada does with just one inch of road accumulation when we take away all salt, grit, plows, snow tires, fewer 4wd cars, previous snow driving experience, and heavy winter clothing.

Next time any northerner says a word about heat gets me one upping their ass for the entire summer at every chance I get.

I don't mind the heat. I HATE using the AC. Drove around with my sunroof open and windows down in the 100 degree weather last summer.

Also, that's not how snow works. As long as you can get ontop of the snow, you don't need 8" of ground clearance to drive through it. Snow does indeed get packed down. I also drive on all season tires, and I will say it again, streets were unplowed and unsalted.

I do agree that the driving experience is a big part, however.

#24,786 ·
My friend just wrecked his G35 in the snow in North Carolina. Slid on ice at 10 mph into another car.

I think experience was the biggest factor in most people's wrecks, especially those pileups in the highways. They drove headlong into snow at 70 mph probably and didn't realize how quickly snow makes things slick. Snow is rain that doesn't drain off the road and doesn't get pumped out by the tires. If it's not blowing off the surface from wind, then it's slick.

#24,788 ·
My friend just wrecked his G35 in the snow in North Carolina. Slid on ice at 10 mph into another car.

I think experience was the biggest factor in most people's wrecks, especially those pileups in the highways. They drove headlong into snow at 70 mph probably and didn't realize how quickly snow makes things slick. Snow is rain that doesn't drain off the road and doesn't get pumped out by the tires. If it's not blowing off the surface from wind, then it's slick.
And here I sit in CA so excited that it MIGHT rain tonight.

#24,789 ·
That's another thing about the south. People with 4WD seem to think it can do anything. I can't tell you the number of times my friends go stuck on some random muddy trail in their stuck 4Runner or whatever thinking they could make it through because they had 4WD. They think it gives them control in all situations. You have the same traction with 4WD that you do with RWD or FWD. 4WD only helps you get moving and can pull the front end around a bit.

#24,796 ·
Even if there was 8 inches of snow that fell doesn't mean you drove through, or as you said, over, 8 inches. Especially as you said, it was packed down, so maybe what, 3 inches of hard packed snow, maybe some slush? If you have decent all-seasons you'll be fine. Braking is where you have to worry. People slam on their brakes or just keep holding them where they're at once they lock instead of just a few quick pumps ;)

On the other hand, I managed to "plow" a small street with about 6 inches worth of "unpacked" snow with my xi last week. I was comfortable doing 50 on the highway, only drove later at night without much traffic when it started snowing again. 95 was completely covered in snow, salt wasn't helping while it was coming down hard at midnight...at that point plows usually just wait until it's done snowing or the morning. Don't know if that's just the xi system doing its job but at the same time my friend was out in his 535 and didn't have any real issues either.

#24,797 ·
Even if there was 8 inches of snow that fell doesn't mean you drove through, or as you said, over, 8 inches. Especially as you said, it was packed down, so maybe what, 3 inches of hard packed snow, maybe some slush? If you have decent all-seasons you'll be fine. Braking is where you have to worry. People slam on their brakes or just keep holding them where they're at once they lock instead of just a few quick pumps ;)

On the other hand, I managed to "plow" a small street with about 6 inches worth of "unpacked" snow with my xi last week. I was comfortable doing 50 on the highway, only drove later at night without much traffic when it started snowing again. 95 was completely covered in snow, salt wasn't helping while it was coming down hard at midnight...at that point plows usually just wait until it's done snowing or the morning. Don't know if that's just the xi system doing its job but at the same time my friend was out in his 535 and didn't have any real issues either.