E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Some Accurate Oil Information for You

105K views 248 replies 127 participants last post by  BartenderPlease 
#1 ·
I have been crusing through this site and noticed there is a lot of misinformation and confusion about oil. Here are a few things you should know about oil for BMW's:

1) All new BMW's require synthetic. As far as weight, only certain production dates of M3's and M5's require the use of Castrol TWS 10w-60.

2) The Factory BMW Synth 5w-30 is a version of Castrol TXT Softect sold overseas. A few important things about the BMW oil a) it is a Group III hydrocracked oil which cannot be called synthetic in Europe, b) it is a heavy 30 weight (30 weight can run from 9.3-12.5cst@100c, the BMW oil is about 12.2cst), c) it is a ACEA A3 oil which means that it is approved for longer change intervals and has a HTHS (High Tempurature High Shear) measured at 150c of greater than 3.5.

3) In the US, the only Group IV PAO Synthetics that are available are 1) Mobil 1, 2) Amsoil (but not the Xl-7500), 3) Royal Purple, and 4) German Castrol 0w-30 (it has the red label and says on the back, "Made in Germany). Redline is a Group V PolyEster based oil. All other Castrol, Quaker State, Pennzoil, Valvoline "synthetics" are a Group III hydrocracked oil. It is debated how much better Group IV base oils are than group III, but generally they are considered better.

4) When looking for oil for any BMW that does not require Castrol TWS 10w-60, you want to purchase an oil that has either/both of the following ratings, a) ACEA A3, or b) BMW LL-98 or LL-01.

5) Note that Mobil 1 0w-30, 5w-30, and 10w-30 are NOT ACEA A3 or BMW LL approved oils. This is because they all are thin 30 weight oils (approximately 9.8-10 CST@ 100c) and have HTHS of approximately 3.1. Mobil 1 0w-40 and 15w-50 are A3 rated and the Ow-40 is BMW LL-01 approved. For 99% of climates and users 0w-40 or 5w-40 is the appropriate grade. There are some 0w-30 and 5w-30 oils (like the BMW 5w-30) that are forumlated on the heavier end of the 30 weight scale and are accordingly rated A3. These oils will work well also. LOOK FOR THAT ACEA A3 rating. If the oil doesn't have it, pass on it.

6) Some people seem confused about how oil thickness is measured. The first number (0W, 5w, 10w, 15w, etc) is a measurement of how thick the oil is at tempuratures of -35c- -20c (depends on the grade). The lower this first number the thinner the oil is at LOW tempuratures. The second number (30, 40, 50) refers to oil thickness at 100c (operating tempurature). 30 weight can be from 9.3-12.5 cst, 40 weight from 12.6-16.2 cst, 50 weight from 16.3-22cst (approximate). So you can have two oils, one called a 5w-30 (i.e. bmw oil) another 0w-40 (Mobil 1) that are very similar thicknesses at operating tempurature. Compare this to Mobil 1 Xw-30 which is close to a 20 weight oil at 100c. For more information here is a link with exact numbers http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html

7) BMW's recommended interval of 12,000-15,000 miles is to long. Used oil analysis has shown the BMW oil is generally depleted at 10,000 miles. Running it longer results in excess wear. It is highly recommended that you change your oil once between each BMW recommended interval (approx 7000-7500 miles). If you want to run your oil the BMW recommended interval, I would suggest that you use Mobil 1 0w-40 or Amsoil 5w-40 and change the oil filter at 7500 miles. I would encourage a full oil change at 7500 if you want your engine to last.

8) If you want to spend a few hours learning about oil, go to bobistheoilguy.com

Cary

See less See more
#128 ·
thx for link

Santiago said:
There's a whole thread devoted to the point you brought up. Go check it out:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=228054&highlight=road+track
thx for the link... damn but the thread is LONG. I guess i'm still gonna stick w/the 7.5k interval and let BMW do the in betweens... i just changed my oil w/ redline 5w-40 @ 7.2k and dang, i think it is much smoother than the engine oil they originally have! btw, i think all redline engine oils are A3 rated. hm, does any of u know what the ratings mean and what "weight ratings" are there??

#132 ·
Unavailable.....

cary1 said:
Unless you have an M3, in the following order:

1) Mobil 1 0w-40,
2) Mobil 1 0w-40, and
3) Mobil 1 0w-40

If you can't find the 0w-40, the Mobil 1 SUV 5w-40 is a great oil. Can't find either of these, then go to your dealer and get the BMW 5w-30.

The Mobil 1 0w-40 is a great oil, widely available (Walmart, Checker, Kragen, Autozone), and moderately priced. It is factory fill in Mercedes AMG, Porsche, and Austin Martin.

Cary
Negative. The 0-40W Oil is unavailable in the Dallas, TX market. I have emailed Sam's Club (part number #661868) as well as Mobil 1 to determine stocking locations! Good luck finding this stuff in Dallas, TX! :ben:

#133 ·
#134 ·
guitarvenue said:
Negative. The 0-40W Oil is unavailable in the Dallas, TX market. I have emailed Sam's Club (part number #661868) as well as Mobil 1 to determine stocking locations! Good luck finding this stuff in Dallas, TX! :ben:

Hmm...I guess you haven't look hard enough. I was in the dallas/fort worth/arlington area and I saw plenty of mobile 0w40

#135 ·
I went from BMWs oil to AMSOIL 5-30 S2000 and find it the same. Actually I think im buring more oil with AMSOIL!

I don't know about even 7500 Miles, I change every 5000 miles!

Question: What is your take on Crankcase cleaners? I have the Forte Step 1 Crankcase additive and want to know if it is a good idea to do? I have heard it can be too harsh and cause more damage...my engine only has 50000 KM.

Thanks.

#137 ·
#141 ·
Motul 5W40.

The only oil I use at the track.

#143 ·
whenever my oil level gets low, i top her off with this stuff.. works great!! :clap: :thumbup:

#145 ·
i doubt this is the case, but still worth a post to see if any1 has done it....has any1 used RP 5W-40 in their S54 M3 ?

i know alot of ppl advise against using anything other than Castrol TWS on this engine....

i haven't tried another oil in this engine, afraid i might fry something...

#148 ·
Umm what happens if i change my oil every 5000 kms and i have been using Castrol 5w30 syntec like my manual said and recently my mechanic said to use this stuff Pentosin Pentosyth 5w40 and i made the change today, is this ok?

Is everything going to be ok from my previous usage of Castrol 5w30?
And is Pentosyth 5w40 any good? I've never heard of it before

#155 · (Edited)
It is unlikely to cause catastrophic failure in the near or long term future, but it will not protect your engine as well as a LL-01 oil. How big a problem that is for you depends upon the current condition of your engine, air filtration, coolant system, how you drive your car, and how long you go before you next oil change.
Oh and these guys on there site mention that THEY ARE the factory fills for BMW, MB, and VW/AUDI/PORSCHE,(Pretty much all german manufacturers) and Bugatti to mention a few, arghh who's telling the truth and why are people lying.
They are telling truth, but you need to look closely at what truth they are telling. Notice the claim is "Pentosin products are supplied inter alia to: " and then the long list of manufacturers. Pentosin makes a whole range of fluid products beyond just motor oil such as coolants, gear oil, brake fluid, shock absorber oils, and even chainsaw oil although I doubt they supply that to BMW. http://www.pentosin.de/shop_produkt.php?c=252&pid=594

EDIT - BTW, if Pentosin products are what you want, then go for the Pentospeed VS 0W-30 which is their only BMW LL-01 product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.