E46 Fanatics Forum banner

best oil for e46 m3 ?

32K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  kpkicker14 
#1 · (Edited)
what is the best oil for m3 ?i been changing my oil in bmw . but its getting to expensive .Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·

#9 ·
Ya, sure.... just go up to the local autozone and pick up some of that Quaker State, it's like $3 a quart. :lmao:

Seriously though, only use 10w60 Castrol TWS. I've also heard of some using Gulf 10w-60 for race applications, but as far as I'm concerned there is only one oil every going inside my engine.

#10 ·
Ye . I guess the reason I asked is because my cousin had his e46 m3 and he always was changing his oil In some local crap shop that was charging 40$ for oil change (I'm sure it wasn't 10-60tws). He did not care much for the car .but his m3 drove very strong and he put 30,000 miles before he crashed it

#11 · (Edited)
I've lately done a lot of reading about motor oil and learned quite a bit of new material, but mainly what to look for in an oil. It's not just about the weight, but more about the additives. BMW recommends Castrol oil as, supposedly, they partnered with Castrol to develop an oil for the M cars. Sounds like good marketing to have BMW on your side. Read this article which focuses on the zinc additive:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/10/18/tech-101-zinc-in-oil-and-its-effects-on-older-engines/

I went to my garage to look at the leftover bottles of Castrol oil and here's what I ended up with from the dealership:

Then a pic of the API ratings. Notice the difference in ratings?

On the right, the TWS Motorsports oil has the SJ rating indicating that this oil has the highest level of boron, zinc, and phosphate commercially available, while the on on the left has the SM rating. The article I posted mentioned that Castrol discovered the additives for controlling wear in metal to metal contact, so maybe BMW really knew what they were doing when they partnered with Castrol. Hopefully this sheds light on why this oil is so expensive.

Side note: double check the containers if oil the parts person sells you. Don't walk out with the Castrol Edge. TMS Motorsport only. I was still charged $18/qt for the lesser quality, too :(

#12 ·
TWS, or Liqui Moly 10w60, either way you look at it its around 13-16 a quart.. if you wanted a cheap oil change you bought the wrong car.. Might save money tho changing it youself in a drive way and taking old oil to autozone for disposal? but your still looking near 100 per change.. just the way it is.... and please dont skimp and think you can get by with 20w50 thats just not a good move.. just stick to 10w60 TWS or liquimoly.. the price is much cheaper than a new motor... trust us on that....

#14 ·
order your oil in advance from turner or someone of the sort.. Its what I do, I always have my next oil change in my garage. Once I change my oil, I order my next one that same or next day. Oil change is too easy of a job to pay some BMW dealer crash cash to drain it, fill it, and change a filter thats on top of the engine :/ expecially when its not in warranty like mine is anymore..

#19 ·
There are a few different kits at ECS.

100% OEM Oil OEM Filter...everything you need
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-S54_3.2L/Maintenance/Engine/ES2550022/

100% OEM Oil MANN Oil Filter...everything you need
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-S54_3.2L/Maintenance/Engine/ES11071/

100% OEM Oil (Just not marketed as "BMW" on the bottle by Castrol) MANN Filter....everything you need.
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-M3-S54_3.2L/Maintenance/Engine/ES2580178/

At the end of the day you are fine with any of those 3 kits... nothing wrong with the last one other than it doesnt say BMW on the bottle like the others. Finally... I suggest only going with OEM oil. I mean it is your car, so do as you please...but you get what you pay for. :D

Reactions: mwyatt9214
#22 ·
Put anything else in there and theres no telling what will happen.... if you are worrying about price, I heard that Toyota is having a sale on Prius's and you don't have to worry about high prices at all!!

-Austin

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.