E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Removing actual bumper?

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Nervous 
#1 ·
How do I transport the front bumper (the actual metal part, the carrier, diagram below) from the stock bumper to the Mtech II bumper? There are a bunch of clips similar to those in the trunk.

Part 1

51118195300 is the part number.

I need to transplant it to my new bumper. How do I remove the clips?

#4 ·
yea it sounds like you've got the right ones, they're the expansion rivets(aka clips)... i think when i put on my mtech II, that the II used a few less clips than my mtech I bumper, though it wasn't an oem mtech II, just that brand everyone else seems to sell.

#6 ·
i believe so, just get some towels and set the bumper on top if it, you can literally see all the clips protruding through the metal beam itself, which makes it quite easy to spot all that you need to take out. though i'm fairly certain there's far more than 4... the 4 you may be referring to are the things that hold that plastic grill in place? there was 4 of those, and they weren't expansion rivets. there should also be two bolt's and nuts, and these are the bolt's with the strange square heads.

so my advice is look at the inner section of the metal beam, and you will quite clearly see all of the rivet ends sticking through, then just look on their top side and pull the center pin out and the rest of the rivet should come right out.

#12 ·
hmm i don't exactly recalls those(i simply never had them) but perhaps your ci bumper is different in that aspect, though i'd be really quite surprised if this wasn't covered in a DIY i mean normally people point out variations between the different chassis...

that said those things do look familiar... and i just searched google and yup, paintball guns use them, they're called ASA bolts(as realoem indicates), if you had a clearer picture i could tell you what tool to use... but i can't really see! darn cell phone pics.

also just as some general photo advice, you will have much better luck getting a subject in focus by standing further away and just zooming in, then focusing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.