E46 Fanatics Forum banner

My ESS TS2 install, it all starts NOW! :)

54K views 337 replies 30 participants last post by  fmzip 
#1 · (Edited)
As some of you may know, I purchased Elio's TS2 kit. For those who haven't been following along:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=518834

Had my baseline dyno run today. After the first pull and smoke coming out of the left rear wheel,maybe the strap was on the exhaust. :yikes:Hmmm.

Second run, coming to the end car maxs out at 150hp now theres flames shooting out of my caliper wtf?? :hmm:Jack up the car, wheel spins freely. Maybe the ebrake was stuck.

Next run, coming to an end the rotor is glowing red, real nice red flames coming out of my caliper.....:censor:
Take the wheel off, brake pads look fine. Take my brand new cross drilled rotor off that is now a nice glazy looking color, what do we find??? The smoldering remains of the ebrake pad....clean everything up, here's the results. One run in 4th, one in fifth. I guess these first runs all should have be done in 4th since it hits top speed in 5th before it hits redline, duh! Such a noobie on this stuff but oh well! Does this look normal/good? Car has 68K on it completely stock....old plugs, coils, fuel filter and fuel pump. All these items will be replaced in the process.

See less See more
#311 ·
I just ordered this, maybe this will resolve the odd vibration problem....I ordered the black one with the enforcer cup
Good choice, although you had me worried there for a second with that picture - you definitely don't want the red with the TME on a street car.

Also, don't overlook your engine mounts. I'm thinking I may be replacing my engine mounts in the near future.

#315 ·
I have the UUC black mounts with the enforcer cups. Highly recommend these. No additional noise or vibration into the cabin.

I have also experimented with the red street mounts (not the red bolt through race mounts), both with and without the TME cups. Trust me, you don't want the red mounts with the TME cups as pictured above on a street car. The red street mounts alone, which are plenty stiff to not need the TME, are actually not too bad in the way of NVH. I had them on my car for a while when it was stock and it almost sounded like an exhaust upgrade inside the car. The downside was the cabin was just a bit too buzzy for me at parking lot speeds and at high rpm. I actually really liked the exhaust like growl introduced by the red mounts but eventually grew tired of the vibration, especially at the high rpm. Interestingly, I rode in AdamBath's car a while back and his red mounts were much quieter than mine. He said they were noisy like mine until he installed his headers. Go figure.

I think new engine mounts are in my future but I have no idea what I will do for this. It looks like the M3 uses a different (presumably stiffer) but compatible mount. I may pursue this.

#322 ·
Thanks for the encouraging words!

I really poked around while I was under the car replacing the transmission mounts. I thought it was a heat shield possibly, but it wasn't. I need to get my ZHP muffler installed to eliminate some resonating vibrations. Waiting to hear back from a fellow fanatic on installing it, otherwise I will need to find a shop....

#327 · (Edited)
Just an FYI for the next person installing a TS2......do not tywrap back the cable for the intake side cam position sensor as I did in this photo. When your sensor fails, there will be no way to reach it to unplug it. Ask me how I know??! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

It's the item in the left of the photo with all the electrical tape wrapped around it

#330 ·
Fortunately I did not..........what a PITA though!

To top it off, I just finished putting everything back together, took it for a spin and the car was stumbling badly. I checked for a code and it's once again the intake side camshaft position sensor.

I bought the sensor from BAV Auto......it was the obsolete PN, it also was a third of the price of what the dealer wanted for one. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to be cheap!

Can there possibly be another reason which is causing the sensor to fail??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.