E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1M views 3K replies 571 participants last post by  se93 
#1 ·
I just received my BMW Scanner 1.4 (PA Soft) and love it! It installed easily and the scanner had no issues connecting and reading codes. I was also able to code the car to automatically roll the windows up by pressing and holding the lock button. Everything else was set the way I wanted, though I still might play around with the various features I can change.

I was disappointed that there is no manual ANYWHERE to explain how to use all the functions. This doesn't seem like something you want to play around with by trial and error. But it IS cool looking into the system to see what is going on.

I did the scan function when I hooked it up. It took a few minutes to go through and test every system and to identify what I had on the car, what wasn't on the car, what had a code and what didn't. Up til now I was reliant on AutoZone to read a code when I had issues. The only codes that were ever read were one for the CPS and another for the thermostat. Both were replaced and the engine light has never come back on. So I was a little puzzled when I saw all the codes below come up. The engine was cold. (Been turned off for at least 3 hours.) These codes came out of the log it created.

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> 50/A0 - Power supply, undervoltage

LCM -> Shadow-memory:
34/01 - Brake light, left
3E/01 - Rear fog light faulty
3F/01 - Turn indicator, rear left
40/01 - Turn indicator, rear right
46/01 - Sidelight 3, rear left

ZKE -> Shadow-memory:
8F/21 - Alarm memory: Panic modus was activated

BMBT -> 01/01 - Watchdog reset

XENL -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

XENR -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

Okay... I know that the alarm code came from either the dealer activating it for me after I installed the OEM system (Before I bought the scanner!) or from me activating the panic feature to test it when I picked it up. I figure the brake light faults were there either when I used to have issues with the ground before I fixed it or when I tested the new bulbs and lenses I installed a few weeks ago. I am assuming that the undervolt issues were caused when the battery died and I swapped in a new one. Anyway... I tried deleting all codes. They all went away except the ones below...

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> Shadow-memory:
50/20 - Power supply, undervoltage

I am wondering if the DME codes were thrown because I did this when the engine was cold. I have no idea why the SRS code keeps coimg back. I know that some cars will throw codes just because or at least have a tendency to throw them easily and are nothing to worry about overall. But I do have a few questions...

The CEL doesn't come on to tell me I have thrown a code and the car runs great. But I am curious to learn more about.
1. What do these codes actually mean?
2. Is there a PDF manual somewhere to explain the full functionality of the scanner?

Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#1,976 · (Edited)
Thank you guys for the info.As a newbie,I need all the help I can get!I will bridge those ports together and not bother with the optional connector.I am looking forward to sorting out the ABS light and also(hopefully) get the airbag light out.I took my first long ride today,after performing all the overdue maint. that the p/o had neglected.The car ran,shifted,handled,and stopped great!! Thanks again
Craig

#1,977 · (Edited)
I just got my 1.4.0 scanner yesterday. I hooked it up, and got this.

Why won't it read 90% of the modules? I know my car has a DME (duh), so why won't this thing recognize that it's there? Does the key need to be in a specific position to read certain modules? (I did it with the engine running). It's a 5/02 build date 330ci which, IIRC, means I don't have the 20-pin round connector under the hood. How do I get this to read the rest of the modules? Do I need to solder the 2 pins on the scanner, as is shown here? http://forums.bimmerforums.com/foru...-4-0-DIY-Read-error-messages-code-car-options

#1,988 ·
I can't see the pics because I am at work, but you have an 02 330CI same as me.
All I had to do it assign the drivers to read the software, which it looks like you have already done, it should work.

Only thing I can think of is what driver did you assign it, serial to USB?

#1,989 · (Edited)
I'm having the same problem, my DME is listed as "not found".

Here's my scanner, looks much different than the one in the original post:

Do pins 7 & 8 still need to be soldered, even on this new config?
I would say that pins 7 and 8 should be soldered. Where did you buy your scanner?

Your scanner should be showing EGS and DME, but most of the other ones may not be present. PDC for example, you probably don't have so it will not appear. I have none on the third page also.

#1,991 ·
Also, how do you do things like change the window functions (roll up/down with the key), change the security system to flash the red light, etc? I can't find any of the tick-box style screens I've seen posted by other's in screeenshots. Does anyone have a manual, or a link to a good post, where it explains the menu structure and available options?

#1,996 ·
Hi everyone. I was following this thread way back when it was about 7 or so pages long. I see it's grown into a monster. Being that I really don't have the time to go through and TRY to remember where I left off and try to catch up, I'm hoping someone can help me. I had installed the software on my laptop running Windows 7 (64). Everything was working fine but last night I got my SES light and ofcourse my laptop took took a **** on me. Turns out the processor is bad and so looking for a new laptop. I've seen a few laptops I like but they're only running Windows 8. Has anyone successfully installed and used this software on Windows 8? Any info would be greatly appreciated as I need to pick up a new laptop no later then tomorrow. Thanks.

#1,999 ·
#2,001 ·
A few postings up, I'm the one who asked if this will work on Windows 8. The next day I bought a laptop with Windows 8 and first thing I did was upgrade it to 8.1 for free. I then went to the link Oldboy provided and followed those directions exactly as posted. Pretty easy to install and everything works flawlessly. Cleared my code and it stayed away but then a few days later my fuel pump went out. Lol. Fixed that and all is fine now. Crazy thing is I don't have much use for the new laptop besides running PA Soft since I do most of my stuff on my tablet now. Lol.

#2,002 ·
I finally got my copy of pa soft.I have been beating my head against the wall trying to get it working on Windows 7 laptop.I have done search after search but nothing seems to work.It is installed,but there is no driver detected.I am not a computer guy,and this is way over my head.Does anyone have a good link to this issue?I found one with very explicit instr. for windows 7.It isn't working for me! Thanks for any guidance,links,etc..
Craig

#2,004 ·
Check out my previous post #1999. In this thread that I used, it instructs you to download a driver and then tells you how to manually load the driver for the PA Soft cable.

The cable draws its power from the car, so it is necessary for the cable to be installed with the key on for your laptop to "see" the cable. Download the driver from the link, then follow the step in the post. I'm no computer expert, but I managed to get it done & I can assure you the link can get you there too! Good Luck! Give it a shot, if you can't seem to get through it, send me a PM, I'll do my best with my limited PC skills to help you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.