E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Vert Spring/Shock Upgrade

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  BavLar 
#1 ·
Looks like the H&R Touring Cupkit might be the choice for me, but I can't find a lot of varied opinions on verts while searching the forum.

I currently have non-sport suspension in my '01 330. Shocks need replacement so I would like to mildly drip it at the same time. I don't want anything tucked, just a nice drop similar to sport suspension or even a hair lower in the front. Spirited driving for sure. H&R has a spring specific to the verts & wagons while Eibach and others just offer the same part number as for coupe's. That tells me it doesn't take extra weight into account. I considered the ZHP strut/shock kit for $500 on clearance which includes CA's and fatter sway bar, but that still leaves me without springs. Don't know if that would be a good solution packaged with H&R Touring springs.

Opinions and pics if you have them.

Thanks!

#5 · (Edited)
Vert Shock Upgrade

I redid my suspemsion about 6 months ago. Mine is a 02 330CiC with non-sport suspension. I used the H and R Touring Cup package. H and R is a nice quality package that I have used on other projects so I didn't hesitate when making the choice. It lowered the car approx 2" from the non-sport height. which is about the same exact height as my stepsons 05 ZHP. Car also has a nice subtle rake to it. The ride is excellent. Couldn't be happier. BTW, If you have any kind of mileage on your other suspension parts I would use this ocassion to replace/upgrade. My car has approx 72K and I replaced the control arms, bushings etc.etc. at the same time. I have attached some "after" pics.

Lastly, my wheels are OZ Ultralegerras 18X8 in Front and 18X9 in rear. Both have a 40mm offset.

Attachments

#6 ·
That's exactly what I needed to see. I was worried that there would be tuck in the back. I see yours has no tuck. Are you satisfied with the drop up front? My son has a '04 325i with sport suspension and I would like to see my front drop down perhaps even a hair lower than his, but would not complain about it if it was the same. Mainly want good sporty ride quality.

I've replaced CA's, CAB's, and end links about 25k miles ago. I have 78k on it now. This is one reason I've considered the ZHP shock/strut/CA/sway package on clearance from many dealers & other retailers. I was hopefulf that the H&R touring springs would work well on a vert coupled with this ZHP suspension package.

What about all the little items such as mounts and other stuff? I've found a list of things for sedans/coupes that I believe would be similar for the vert. Any advice there?

#7 · (Edited)
Yes, the drop in the front, for me, is just right. When my stepsons ZHP is parked next to my 330 my car is approx 1/2" lower overall which is exactly what I was looking for. The H and R kit was a total bolt on. While I was at it I also installed the strut plates which you can get from our sponsors ( I got mine from Turner..only cost about $10 each). The ride quality is excellent, even my wife likes it and that says a lot. I would say it is comparable to the ZHP ride quality and certainly not as stiff as an M3 which I didn't want. I am not sure about mating the ZHP package to the H and R springs as this starts to get complicated in a hurry e.g. spring rates etc. which helps make the case for buying a matched set.

Lastly, when I first did this mod I was running 17x8 wheels with 40mm offset and 45 series tires all around. I have since gone to 18x8 front and 18x9 rear wheels with 40 series tires and found no difference in ride quality although this may have to do with the 18" wheels being lighter than the ones I took off but my point is the H and R Touring Cup package is very versitile.

#8 ·
No rub with the 18x9's? I have same dimension wheels but I'm not certain about my offset in the back. Don't recall if it's 35 or 45. Rub is no consideration with current suspension.

Wife-approved suspension is something I'm not likely to ever get. My driving habits will probably worsen if I get the cupkit:D. She already hates riding with me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.