E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

***BMW ECU programming solution*** OPEN DISCUSSION inside please

340K views 482 replies 110 participants last post by  briatore 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm an experienced tuner (Mitsubishi, GM cars) and I want to have a open discussion with anybody that has information on tuning BMW's. OR any kind of information you want to share, or spare ecu you can donate "temporary"..

I found the hardware that is needed for READ/WRITE
"KWP2000+ Plus ECU Flasher"

example: On my 2003 330i my ECU is a Siemens MS43.

Since the ones that hold ALL the knowledge dont want to share the info I'm taking it on myself with the help of others (I hope) to find the info and in the hopes to finally provide a solution to ALL to tune our own cars and be able to create our own custom F/I kits...

#363 ·
^OK, you are right. There are how-tos. Somehow I still feel there are many variations. E.g: Many tuners prefer to go via OBD. Then, if you chooce to solder and direct EEPROM programming, like you, the directions are quite different. Also, many tools exist. Beginners, like me, get easily confused. Personally, I've decided to to play with the ECU in the car, but have the second ECU and play with in on my garage's table. Then, there is more room for trial and error.

#365 · (Edited)
DME help

Hello guys.
Total Noob here. I am here with a much more pressing question regarding a non existent DIY for simply being able to use a "used" MS43 DME to match my EWS's rolling code. This way i can drive my car without spending an arm and a leg.

my questions are the following.

1) how can i backup (dump) my in-car DME so i have the rolling codes for my in-car DME. I don't mind it if it take place on bench or though ODBII cable

2) swap the EEPROM (which one) from my Old DME to ebay "Used" DME so it matches my EWS rolling codes and i can drive the car. (is this possible?)

3) use an in-circuit EEPROM programmer to replace the "Used" DME .bin file with my old DME's .bin file. So the rolling codes match and I can drive my car. (is this possible)

4) How can you bring a used DME to "Virgin state" so you can just active and program it through DIS.

I am not a very rich e46 owner and just trying to stay an informed one.

at least one more person in the thread had the DME and EWS error. So it just might help him too.

I can do the DME/ EWS sync using DIS as long i have the codes correct in both system..

please help out. :)

Thanks for your help in advance.

I posted here because everyone seemed to be the most informed here about DME or an e46.

:woot: Thanks !

#366 ·
my questions are the following.

1) how can i backup (dump) my in-car DME so i have the rolling codes for my in-car DME. I don't mind it if it take place on bench or though ODBII cable
Not possible

2) swap the EEPROM (which one) from my Old DME to ebay "Used" DME so it matches my EWS rolling codes and i can drive the car. (is this possible?)
possible, but unsoldering and resoldering the AM29F400 is pretty hard stuff.

3) use an in-circuit EEPROM programmer to replace the "Used" DME .bin file with my old DME's .bin file. So the rolling codes match and I can drive my car. (is this possible)
not possible

4) How can you bring a used DME to "Virgin state" so you can just active and program it through DIS.

I am not a very rich e46 owner
but you have to be in this case. the needed software is ~5000$ and you will search several years for keys and cracks, if they exist at all.

do yourself a favor and search for an unused dme, they are out there and most of the time pretty cheap, much cheaper then virginizing a used one.

#368 ·
Thank you very much for that fantastic and absolutely coherent reply. I better go looking for one of those new ones off the shelf. I figured it wasn't going to be that easy.

Thanks again. :) z

I am not sure if you can disable EWS 3 and later. Mine is a e46 and i am not sure if disabling them is an option.

#373 ·
to be honest, i wouldn´t trust an ebay seller. and specially i wouldn´t trust him when he states more then once, that he can´t test the hardware.

MS43 is always EWS4.x and can´t be deleted. if you find some emulator whos able to unlock EWS4.x i´m willing to buy it. but unfortunally there are many people wanting such an emulator and they are waiting long time :eeps:

#378 ·
MS43 is always EWS4.x and can´t be deleted. if you find some emulator whos able to unlock EWS4.x i´m willing to buy it. but unfortunally there are many people wanting such an emulator and they are waiting long time :eeps:
I checked mine, it's EWS3. The car is E46 with M54 and MS43, MY 2001. You can see yours by removing small glove box below light switch. It has two screws on top.

#374 ·
Well, there isn't an easy solution for this now. So I will be replacing DME and EWS with the real stuff. Programming it myself should save me a few bucks. I am glad though that i am learning all of these stuff. It pays to have a 2nd car. Kinda wish i had my awd bimmer in the crappy weather we are having today , ohh well. Thanks guys

#380 ·
i´m ordering a spare ews unit and such an emulator
Good luck! Please, report us how it goes. I've a similar plan. :).

For the other thing: I'm feeling I should start from very beginning. Even there are ready made .xdfs around, I'm not feeling very confident due to missing documentation and non-existent physical units.

IMO, these things have only partly been done, but I really haven't seen consistent documentation I'm striving for RE85 ethanol fuel. I believe I should have an access to acceleration enrichment, cold start, etc.

If you have a good for reverse engineering quide, I'd appreciated it. Please.

Before anybody gets angry: I'm NOT saying somebody should have done these for me and free. I'm just saying that open community seems to in the beginning. Commercial communitiy is far further.

#385 · (Edited)
3.2 system uses one fixed code that sends to DME and never rolls a code.

The 3.3 system rolls codes, and rolls the codes all the time even after car is started, this is why it is much more complicated.

But looks like this russian company made emulators for ews 3.3, they advertised it for 150 euros . This is all I know. I spent few months digging trough MS42 and MS43 files and could not find boot section and I could not find the EWS delete in the software

#396 · (Edited)
What you guys could do is get the dme amd ews unit used but it must come from the same car with same vin on both. Then fro there, you would have to rewrite mileage or vin, whatever that particular module requires (modules like lcm, dsc, gm aka central body electronics, and possibly more) using winkfp and/or pa soft. Or you dont have to its just those particular modules won't function. The car would at least run. The cluster can't be changed easily so you might get tamper dot or dont install it at all. If it requires to be installed im sure once you reinstall everything it'll all be ok. I think that's how it goes. hopefully i xan be of gelp. I just stumbled on to this thread.

I couldn't do this on my ews 3 but I believe it was either an ews 2 or perhaps whatever is prior to ews3, that I couls change the vin to. Wait, actually i think i was able to change the vin and mileage to my ews, its just that if i did so, my transponder coded to my ecu ews wouldn't allow me to start my car. Therefore it was pointless. Oh wait. Grrr. Ignore this bexause i forgot that the reason why you must have both is there is no known way to retrieve the rolling codes. Its almost impossible, so someone had told me.

#397 · (Edited)
One more thing for you people flashing your ecu. BMW placed a limit on how many times you can flash. Go over that amount..... Let's just say lol. You are screwed. I picked this up from the m3 ecu tuning they came up with. If this happena ro them I'm sure it can happen to us. There is a solution if you do lock up. It isn't an easy desolder resolder job. Be prepared though if you do go this route. They're attempting to try and unlock the limit because they say the coding can be changed to allow practically limitless flashes, that or maybe it was a chip that needed to be pulled off and recoded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.