E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Exhaust, cats question

1K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  XKR 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Just picked up my M3, 2003 Alpine White. It has Fabspeed headers with stock exhaust. While driving getting really rich exhaust smell in the cabin.
I've purchased a Corsa car back to put on.

Owner said its running catless, that's because of the headers correct?
What can I do to help with the rich exhaust?

Thanks for the info.

#3 · (Edited)
I don't know when the car was tuned, before or after the headers were put on. I'll try and find out.

UPDATE: The car now has the Corsa on it, So it has Fabspeed headers, section 1 with no resonator, and the Corsa. The exhaust is sooo rich smelling, almost don't want to drive the car because the smell is so strong.
What do I need to do to fix this?

#4 ·
the smell emit when going WOT? or do you smell it when coming to a stop?

#6 ·
Smelling exhaust in the cabin of the car is a bad sign. Fumes are escaping, probably at one of the connections between the headers and the back cats (the M3 has 2 cats mounted in the stock exhaust manifold and 2 more directly downstream). Your aftermarket headers have eliminated the front pair. If the second pair is missing as well, additional modifications have been made.

#7 ·
Subscribed. Mine actually is running really rich after engine work, headers, etc.. smell is "bad" outside the car but I'm not super concerned as that's normal.. what isn't normal is the smell coming into the cabin even while the windows are up on the highway. I'm taking mine back to the shop to have them look at it and will post results OP :hi:

#8 ·
My set up is Fabspeed headers, no cats.... OEM section 1 no resonator and the rest is the Corsa system.
Could I just go with some magnaflow cats I saw on Amazon for $70 and have them welded into section 1? Would that take care of it, and have all other connections checked?
Or would I be better to go with the Euro Custom Performance section 1?

#9 ·
Cats will definitely help.. but I wouldn't just put any old cat on there. I would go with 300cel race cats. Your headers will burn out the factory cats pretty damn quick.

#14 ·
The previous owner had one of the cats in my car cut out and it's running perfectly *shrug*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.