E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Key lock broken and battery flat!!!!

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  04-330ci-ny 
#1 ·
Hi,

I bought an e46 sedan today and knew that the car lock was broken. The key could just lock the car but i guess it was not charged enough as i could no longer open it now! ( A few hours after)
Any idea how i can re-open the car?

Many thanks in advance,

#3 ·
Open trunk and get battery charged or jump the car?

Ebay for the door lock repair parts.

www.bmwgm5.com for info in case your GM5 module is questionable.

A E46 with only 1 keyfob is a dangerous thing!

#6 ·
Does the ignition have to be on for the key to be charging, or could I just leave it in overnight? I don't like to use the 2nd keyfob, as all the settings are different. Also, do you recommend charging the 2nd keyfob from time to time?

thanks

#10 ·
The settings are not stored in the keyfob, they are in car memory.

If you save your seat position the same for position 1 & 2 and set all other things the same then you will not see a difference between the keyfobs.

#12 ·
I think??? depending on how the car is coded, that radio station presets and climate control settings can be stored as well. Or at least the last climate control settings that were used may be recalled when the key is used?

It can be a bit of a PITA to get sorted, but as long as you are the sole driver it should not be too big of an issue.

#14 ·
FYI I've been locked out like that once and I called AAA to come open the car. The guy used one of those airbag wedges to get the driver door open enough to stick a metal rod in and and hit unlock.

To our surprise when he hit the button the car deadbolted into some sort of security mode. (apparently this has to do with a weight sensor in the seat recognizing that there's no one in the seat) He ended up leaving but I later discovered you have to hit the button multiple times and also lasso the drivers side door handle to get it.

I'm not sure the exact sequence but it was something like unlock button (center console) then lasso door and pull then unlock again..if anyone knows the exact sequence for the e46 security system it might be worth posting!

#15 ·
Some year cars might behave slight different, usually you need to push the center console button once, the pull the door handle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.