E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Steering wheel jerks

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  blarf 
#1 ·
When driving my 03 325i my steering wheel jerks back and forth real quick like a brake rotor is warped or something. So i checked out the brakes, they are ok. Its werid though

It only does it about 1/3 times when i drive. Only starts around 40mph to 55mph....rest of speed feel nothing.

going around a turn it stops, even a slight turn. only when going straight it does vibrate.

its gettin worse as the the weeks go on so before i let a mechanic that charges out the butt look at it what you guys think????

#5 ·
Front control arm bushings. Super common problem, Cheap and easy DIY

#6 ·
Thx thats what alot of others are telling me. Ill find the DIY thread somewhere ima sure someone has made one.

Also those chrome wheels are 17 and gave to me :D ...who wouldnt take free rims over stock :D, and i like the wheels, different...

now if you would like to send me around 1 grand to buy me some new ones i would be grateful. (prob spend it one coilovers and suspension.

#7 ·
Also those chrome wheels are 17 and gave to me :D ...who wouldnt take free rims over stock :D, and i like the wheels, different...
Me.

Anyhow, the front control arm bushings are a very common wear item. By design they absorb a lot of force. So replace with new bushings. I like the OE type liquid filled rubber units that don't last a long time because they promote smooth ride and steering. You can go with harder, longer lasting, polyurethane ones if you're so inclined. I noticed more low clunking than steering wheel shudder when mine failed. The symptoms you notice will likely be dependent upon how far gone your bushings are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.