E46 Fanatics Forum banner

E46Fanatics Official DICE iPod integration kit Q/A thread

45K views 118 replies 61 participants last post by  ogmikeg 
#1 ·
Use this thread to get help from other members regarding the Dice iPod integration kit for your BMW. Got a problem or question post it here. If you can help another member with their DICE jump in!

A good place to start if you have a question is reviewing the Previous Q/A thread thread here -
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=374525

This thread is supported by members only. If you need official support please contact DICE directly.

#2 ·
Hey Tom, I just bought a DICE SILVERLINE unit off a fellow member and the model is I-BMW-T/5V.

I was just wondering does this mean that the cable that comes with it is the 5V charging cable and that it should have no problem charging my IPhone 4?

#3 ·
I drive a 2000 328Ci and I was considering buying the cheaper DICE unit but I don't like the idea of keeping my ipod in the glovebox or even the ashtray dock option. I would like to run the ipod cable up my center console to come out underneath my center armrest so I can easily control the ipod. Has anyone done this with what comes in the box? Are the wires long enough or do I need more parts? Can I replace the ipod wire with a standard usb ipod cable?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Bimmer App

#4 ·
My Dice Silverline Duo Review (Radio harness tested with iPhone 4)

I installed the unit this friday. It took me about 2 hours. (I have never taken the e46 dash apart at this point) The dash/radio removal was very easy if you follow the DIYs. The only issue I had was fitting the harness behind the radio. After cutting my hand countless times and trimming the plastic connector I managed to get it fit without cutting the central vent support. Keeping in mind I have installed countless sound systems, I found this a huge pain in the but to do. I would definitely recommend getting the trunk harness. It does take a little bit longer but you will not be as frustrated and cut up.

The Good:
Sounds great, only a small amount of noise. I can only hear it when the phone is not playing any music and the volume is fairly high.
Ability to control the iPhone through the steering wheel. I was surprised that I was able to control third part applications such as Steamtome.
The interface is very good considering what they had to work with.

The Bad:
Esthetically the unit feels VERY cheap. The insides of the unit rattled. I had to open it and stuff in a small peace of foam to prevent it.
I feel that the input connector on the unit will break off if the cable is plugged in more than 10x. It has a good amount of play.
The Ipod cable is overly thick. The connector is monstrous. It will not fit with many cases. I am hoping they did this for durability. Time will tell.
Sometimes gets stuck in a weird mode Ipod is unlocked and doesn't let you control the radio
Initially when connected to a iphone it thinks it is a video out so the steering wheel controls dont work. This is remedied by unplugging the iphone and plugging it back in again.

Update: A few weeks into the install. I placed the unit in the glove box for easy access for firmware updates. A few days ago the device stopped working. I had a look at it and one of the wires broke off the connector. I have contacted Dice about a replacement radio wire. I doubt they will sell me one.

In conclusion. The device barely does what is stated. If your vehicle is able to use the standard aux in I would use that. The construction of the whole device is worse than some eBay knock offs I have purchased. Do not mount the device where the wires will have play such as the glove box.

I would not purchase this device again.:censor:

#5 · (Edited)
Hi i just got my dice duo silverline today for my 02 330XI.When I opened the trunk and took out the extra wire, I didn't get the 3PIN and 6 pin next to it as the manual said. Instead, I got a 3 pin and 4 extra connections( one is blue, and one is green both 1pin). Anyone has any idea what I should do with those instead of the 6 PIN? I have business CD radio with HK sound system if that matters, thanks so much

I have the same as this guy's :

http://www.mp3car.com/attachments/newbie/5266d1095712501-e46-bmw-guys-any-thoughts-weirdassplugs.jpg

#8 ·
Nano 6g

I got a silverline duo for my 05 330, with a business cd and installed it about 2 weeks ago. Everything was working great with my old Ipod, so I decided to upgrade to a new nano, now I'm having problems. Is the 6th generation supported by the duo? If not any chance that it will be in the near future? Any insite would be appreciatted

#9 ·
2001 e46 325 Ci DICE Silverline Message - NO CORE DE

Just installed my silverline into a 2001 e46 325 CiC

Right after I installed the Dice, my iPad worked perfectly fine with the radio and the wheel controls. After I hooked up the aux cable and set that up, when I went back to my iPad it no longer worked. I have also tried my Nano 2G and iPhone 1G and neither work.

I get the following message: "CORE NOT DE" followed by "DETACHED"

When I plug in either the iPad or the iPods it shows that they are "ATTACHED" but there is no control or audio.

When I hit CD5 and switch to AUX, I can use the aux cable fine, but under iPod mode - nothing.

I went through the steps recommended in the previous thread, both disconnected the fuses, and unplugged my battery. But each time I do it, I get the same message "CORE NOT DE"

What should I do?

Thanks in advance.

#13 ·
I bought mine on Amazon for $120, it was the same as any other Dice Duo as far as I can tell, and I've seen someone post that Dice won't help you if you buy it from Amazon, but they helped me, even sent me a new unit when my new nano wouldn't work(both my 5th generation ipod and 3gs iphone work great, just not the new Nano)

#18 ·
I'm thinking about getting the DICE Mediabridge but I'm having a lot of reservations. I think it would be awesome to have ipod and bluetooth capabilities, but it didn't take much reading at the forum that's linked to this one to see all the problems. The problems seem to be with new and old installations. Are these devices just really finicky? Are people not following the instructions well or not qualified to make the installations? (I kind of doubt this given the other repairs that people on this site.) Or, is this just a very small fraction of the total number of users?

#19 ·
Text display noise issue

I just installed the no-bluetooth version of Mediabridge (latest firmware) in my 2005 330i, non-nav using the trunk CD harness. Works and sounds great except for a faint buzzing noise whenever the text in the HU display changes. Every time the Mediabridge updates the text in the display when I'm listening to my iPhone 4, a short buzz can be heard. If the text is not updated (like if I'm using Pandora or something), there's no buzz noise.

Anyone else had this problem, or any ideas for how to solve? I'm going to contact Dice directly about it, but I thought I'd also poll the other experts around here.

#22 ·
Hi Everyone, I have a question about the Dice Duo. I install it tonight on my 05 330i with navigation. Everything seems to be working but I've noticed two things that didn't seem right to me.

1. When I change songs there a delay. The music stops for 1/2 a second, resumes, and then changes tracks.
2. The scrolling text is taking over my navigation. I can't make any changes to any nav menus, settings, or turn off the screen.

Can someone confirm this is normal? If this is how the Duo works, are any other units any better?

#28 · (Edited)
I installed the Dice DL-1002 to my 2001 E46 about 4 years ago. The Ipod I've been using with it is about 6 + years old. (One of the first generations???). It's so old, I've changed the ipod battery once already, and the second battery is so dead now, I can barely load songs on it from the laptop. Ready for a new ipod (only).

Question - I want to upgrade just the IPOD. Which Ipods are compatible with this Dice unit (with no other changes or add-ons)?

I tried a smaller and new Ipod (nano?) recently, but the steering wheel controls didn't all work as they did with the older Ipod.

Thanks !!

:thumbup:

Attachments

#30 ·
just checking if these will work for the new iphone 4s

#32 ·
Considering the Specdock, will it work with my DICE system, 2000 323i sedan, ipod hooks up via DICEin the Glove compartment.

#34 ·
I want something that will secure my ipod which currently just slides around and bumps into items I have in my glovebox. Something secured would be nice, maybe to roof of glovebox or drivers side of glovebox???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.