E46 Fanatics Forum banner

SC 330 compound boost build Twinscrew/T72 turbo

58K views 325 replies 58 participants last post by  cyberlando 
#1 ·
I am currently rebuilding my engine for a compound boost set up. I made this decision after damaging my supercharger by running meth and nitrous!!!!! :facepalm:Huge no-no. The water froze and pretty much acted like stones in the supercharger, deep scratches and funny noises followed.:thumbdwn:

So in my quest for more go fast I decided to rebuild something insane, so here we go...:thumbsup::woot:

Whats done/what I have...

M30B54 ported head
Cosmetic mls head gasket (lower compression)
ARP studs
Custom camshaft (260/268)
ESS twinscrew supercharger 1.6
Custom 88mm throttle body
Custom intake
Okada plasma lift (on back order)
Ceramic header and heat wrapped
Custom pulley
800cc Bosch injectors
255 lph fuel pump
Fuel regulator
Secondary air delete
Nx express nitrous (75hp)
Nx express methanol kit stage 2

ZHP 6 speed conversion
4.10 LSD
ZHP short shifter

And lots of other parts not directly related, gauges, etc..

I am ordering a T72 turbo for a rear mount set up. I will be running 8 psi on th SC and 9 psi on the turbo. My concern is the tuning and any equipment that would make my life easier.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND...I am looking for positive feed back of known issues and experiences, or known related issues of the build. I say that to say I'm not interested in how stupid the build is....thanks. All comments are appreciated.

See less See more
#263 ·
So over due for an update...

After sending the car to 5 tuners, the atlanta area is not good for custom bmw tunes. I have to send the car to houston. So, that required me to complete the overhaul to keep from having to send the car multiple times for multiple tunes. I have replaced just about everything i could...lastly, the fuel filter, coils, and plugs arrived today. :clap:

The car was starting and running up until the day the transport came. :confused:

I had to change vacuum lines after realizing i had several leaks. The car then idled but stumbled as if it wasnt getting fuel:hmm:....hence the parts recently ordered.:)

I have purchased more parts, led smoke corners and side markers, ELM 327 for the torque application, car soft tuner and software to code my m3 gauge cluster.

I gave also created a hidden gauge window (check pic). It reads air/fuel, boost, there is a green light when meth is spraying, and the extender cord/mute device which is attached to the passport 9500. The car looks gauge less when off.:thumbup:

The torque app gives me the fuel trims, temps, TPS, etc...everything you can see on an obdII scanner, just in gauge form. I ordered a 7 in tablet to mount soI can run the software constantly. I'm ordering a 15 or 16 pound pulley....:craig:

I'm going to install the fuel filter and coils by the weekend to see where I am. If it still stumbles looking for fuel I'm guessing its because everything is buttoned up tight air wise, and the fuel injectors aren't cutting it. At that point I'll put the larger injectors back in. (Stumbles with no codes, and the gas pedal does nothing).:confused:

I have to have the car as solid as possible before being shipped. Don't want it to get to tx and find out I have a mechanical problem during the tune. That would obviously be a waste.:banghead:

This will complete the mechanical and I should be able to ship next week (fingers crossed):4ngie:

Lastly, is the e85 dilemma. I want to run it but not tune soley for it. I wanted a device that would auto calibrate the ethanol content in the gas so I can run either or....anyone know of such a product?:confused:

Uploading pics from my phone...

#267 ·
Lastly, is the e85 dilemma. I want to run it but not tune soley for it. I wanted a device that would auto calibrate the ethanol content in the gas so I can run either or....anyone know of such a product?:confused:
i salute you, sir, for doing this build. great stuff.

i believe Pro-EFI can handle variances in fuel and ethanol content. someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

#268 ·
May I ask who is tuning it in Houston, Tx? I only know a few who can...

#269 ·
I was trying to avoid them because the system is costly and is a stand alone.:bawling:

Eurocharged, they have tuned my car before and I am very happy with the service and knowledge of BMWs...:thanks:

But this tune is without the turbo, just to get the numbers with Everything else.... Honestly, the thought of a 2.3L supercharger did cross my mind, lol. :idea:

BUT, I have to see the dyno numbers and if the cams will give me the top end I'm looking for...:D

#270 ·
Something I forgot.....

I have a custom 3in exhaust header back. I added a resonator and exhaust with a spring loaded flap that keeps decibels down during idle and cruise...it's sounds NASTY under acceleration:evil:. I do need a nice set of tips tho...

I sold the nitrous kit.
I sold the AEM piggyback (ECU kept countering and I really don't need one yet)

#271 ·
That who I thought doing the tuning :D Good GUYS! Tell Jerry I said HI!

#273 ·
Car headed to Dyno

Today is a good day!:hi:

The weather was nice so I pulled the car out the garage for a quick spray. The transporter should be here tomorrow. The car is headed to Eurocharged of Houston tx (they have worked on it before and do great work).:rofl:

The car starts instantly, idles steady, 0% on ST fuel trims. No stumbling, 1 error code, secondary air - which I removed. The car is strong and stable. On the way to the dyno.:excited:

NOW THE FUN PART...lets guess the dyno numbers.:woot:

Recap::read:

M54B30
ESS twinscrew supercharger TS2+ 11psi pulley (11psi before porting)
Ported head (5% more cfm intake, 10% more cfm exhaust)
Head gasket 9.2:1 compression
Ceramic and heat wrapped headers
Cams 260/268
Larger throttle body (stock est 59mm, current est 89mm)
Larger air filter, 3.5 in intake (89mm)
Enlarged intake manifold (after TB) to 89mm as well
72lb injectors
400lph fuel pump
Methanol kit
Secondary air delete
3 inch single exhaust
Post o2 sensor delete
New plugs, coils, and fuel filter.

First tune is on premium gas.

What are the guestimates. Most people here claimed 300whp on their TS2 kits. The car was an auto when I bought the kit, so any previous numbers are null and void.

NOW, I would like to see 500whp to take the record!!!! :shhh:

What are your thoughts.....:woot:

#279 ·
The turbo isn't scrapped...the goal is 500rwhp...the turbo will make up the difference. I tried to build the SC with a set up to get as much top end as possible...the larger cams. I am being optimistic about the numbers right now because of the TB. The twin screw SC is an air multiplier. All your numbers make sense on a stock set up but the TB is 2/3rds larger. I'm guessing good for another 30hp....so realistically my guess is roughly 420...

Then I only have an 11psi pulley, I'm waiting for ess to get back to me over the 16psi pulley.

As for the turbo..the car needs to run and be stable. The SC tune will be considered the base tune for the turbo if I don't hit the 500 mark...the turbo is for top end...

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Bimmer App

#281 ·
My guess is 407whp. as long as there is no belt slip. If the IAT's are high I say 389whp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.