E46 Fanatics Forum banner

How to remove intake Manifold on 323i

15K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  turnerk2 
#1 ·
This my second attempt to remove the intake manifold on my 1999 323i so I can replace the Pressure Regulating valve that resides below manifold. You can see this part from below the car, but there's no way to get to it. I have all the bolts removed from the manifold, but there's still something holding it in place even though I can rock it back and forth. Please tell me what I'm missing. I even had a friend whose quite mechanical and he couldn't see what was keeping the manifold from :bawling:

#3 ·
Paul984 said:
there is a vacuum line that runs to a valve on the back of the manifold. Make sure that the hose for that is off. In addition to that, there might also be clips
holding the hoses that run to the fuel rail.
Do you know of any diagrams that clearly show what needs to be disconnected from the intake manifold to free it from the engine. I can't reach any hoses below the manifold, I think it's some kind of bracket that supports the manifold I can't see. With hoses I'd still be able to lift the manifold more then I can.

#4 ·
I got to the same point and couldnt go any further.

Have you removed the intake boot? How do you remove the fuel rail?

I was not able to reinstall 2 or 3 nuts that hold the intake on due to the fuel rail and I think it is causing a vacuum leak.

#5 · (Edited)
there is a bracket underneat the manifold that is bolted to the engine. You should also try having some hold the fuel rail out of the way since you need to lift the fuel rail up a little to get the bracket off the the stud that is on the engine. There are numerous vacuum hoses and wires so carefully pull those off one as you are taking the manifold off.

Attachments

#6 ·
Paul984 said:
there is a bracket underneat the manifold that is bolted to the engine. You should also try having some hold the fuel rail out of the way since you need to lift the fuel rail up a little to get the bracket off the the stud that is on the engine. There are numerous vacuum hoses and wires so carefully pull those off one as you are taking the manifold off.
You have to get at that bracket from behind the crankcase valve. From the lower drivers side of the engine compartment or is there a better location to access it?

#7 ·
#8 ·
needing vaccume diagram or some info on intake manifold

my engine is not getting fire due to the re installation of my intake manifold do you have some pics of the vaccume hoses on the back of the intake it would be quite helpful. and did you experience any thing like that when you put your intake back on??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.