E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2002, 04:51 AM   #1
Full Time Hit Man
Banned

My Ride: E46
Send a message via AIM to Full Time Hit Man
BMW Tech, here the question.........

Is it possible to swap an auto tranny to manual. How many things are involved, and anythings I have to worry or insure about? Thanks.

I know is better to trade in the car, but I wanna see how many things are needed before I made the choice, and I'm planning to keep moddding the current car so trading in will not be an option.
Full Time Hit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-24-2002, 05:48 AM   #2
OneBigTree

My Ride: A BMW isn't a "Ride"
I did this on my E36

This is a messy, difficult, expensive job. You probably know that, but here are some details:

- You need a new transmission, differential, drive shaft, pedal assembly, some interior trim, clutch line, transmission brackets.

- You will need to hack the shift interlock switch to fool the motor into thinking the selector is in park/neutral at all times.

- You will need to hack or live with an instrument cluster that throws faults every time you start the car. The 'Transmission Warning' light will be on all the time.

- This is a 'Nickle and Dime' job. You'll get very frustrated with gromets, bolts, fastiners and brackets.

- You don't want to know what BMW wants for new transmissions and differentials. There are plenty of very high quality used E46 parts out there thanks to people stuffing their cars. Use those and give them a good inspection before installing them. You will save a LOT of money. Go for a new clutch and flywheel.

Those are all some big problems with NO factory fix. Also remember, this was on a '94 E36, and the E46 has a lot more electronic components that are much more tightly integrated together. For example, I didn't need a new DME, but I think the E46 might require it. I think that is a big issue with performing mods on new BMWs, the electronics are not very complicated, but we have no tools to work with them and BMW provides very little in the way of information or advice.

In the end, the car is going to be a bit of a frankenstein (my car was coined the Dinanstein on the old BMW Digest). For me, it was worth it; I had a blown automatic transmission and the cost difference between parts was minimal and I was trashing the car anyhow. You won't be able to resell a car that you have done this to.

You probably will just want to sell the car, but if you do go for it, give Zionsville Autosport a call. They provided the parts for my conversion and they have a kit with most of what you will need. Zionsville
OneBigTree is offline   Reply With Quote