E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 62 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2004, 12:37 AM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Front Control arm bushings install (Pictures/Instructions)

Background info here

http://www.e46fanatics.com/features/...php?news_id=40

Use this at your own risk. There might be better ways to do this, but this is what I did.

1. If your car is lower you might need to use ramps to get the jack under the car.

2. Use a floor jack and the center jack point.

3. Put jack stands under the stock jack locations.

4. Remove the wheels.

5. Remove the under engine cover. There are some plastic plugs up front and screws underneath. The screw layout is going to vary depending on model.

6. Drop the engine cover.

7. Here you can see the both the control arm mounts

8. Drivers sides mount. You can see how the chassis brace is in the way of the rear bolt.

9. Remove the driver's side bolt for the rear brace.

10. Remove the front drivers side bolt for the brace.

tim330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:52 AM   #2
tim330i
Owner/Admin

11. Remove the passenger side rear brace.

12. I used a jack to hold the brace up while I was loosening the bolts.

13. Remove the last bolt that is inside the center jack point.

14. Brace is now lose.

15. Here you can see the two bolts that hold the carrier in place. (with brace still installed) we need to remove these.

16. With the bolts removed we need to remove the carrier. I use a Dreamel tool to start cutting the rubber. The bushing is oil filled so have something to catch it.

17. I finished off the cutting with a utility knife.

18. Pull the carrier and outer part of the bushing.

19. Here is the carrier part off the car.

20. Next we need to remove the rest of the bushing still on the control arm. We will use a three jaw puller. I rented this from AutoZone.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:56 AM   #3
tim330i
Owner/Admin

21. Here the three jaw puller is installed on the control arm.

22. The control arm nice and cleaned up.

23. Next we need to press out the bushing. I made a "tool" out of a 2 Ĺ" pipe cap that I ground down to fit.
EDIT - Here is another way to remove the stock bushings - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ight=Powerflex

24. You can see how I made it just fit inside the carrier.

25. I rented a ball joint press from autozone, with my "tool" and an impact wrench I was able to press the steel sleeve out.

26. Here are the two carriers free of the OEM bushings.

27. The left over stock parts.

28. I cleaned up the carriers and sanded the insides according to the powerflex instructions.

29. I again used the ball joint press and pressed in the power flex bushings. I took the purple inner section of the bushing out while pressing it in. It was a two step process to press the bushings in. The first time I could not use the spacer sleeve that comes with the press because there was not room.

30. With the bushing pressed in half way I added the sleeve so that the bushing could properly seat on both sides of the carrier.

Old 02-04-2004, 12:56 AM   #4
tim330i
Owner/Admin

31. Bushing installed.

32. Install the inner bushing part. I use white lithium grease to lubricate the two parts.

33. The bushings all ready to install.

34. Everything bolted back together. Carrier to frame rails takes 44 ft/lbs and the chassis brace to frame is two stage. First tighten to 43 lb/fts then tighten another 90 degrees and another 30 degrees. (per the Bentley manual).

Old 02-04-2004, 01:03 AM   #5
K-DOG
P.I.M.P.

My Ride: 2002, 330i 5spd
Nice DIY, when you were getting the new bushing on, did you hammer it onto the control arm??

BTW, since it was such a PITA to take out the OEM bushings, doesn't that say something about their durability....After thoroughly reading this DIY, I think that the OEM bushing is already pretty damn overengeneered...
Old 02-04-2004, 01:16 AM   #6
lilherc79
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"

My Ride: ASA ACS 3.0 Cabrio
the OE bushings are good for regular driving. But being that they are rubber, and rubber doesnt hold up well under extreme conditions and tend to flex, harden, crack and break after prolonged use doesnt make them good after awhile. What your're seeing is the parts thats made to stick to the arms and carrier/bracket. whats in the middle or cut out is the rubber portion.

This is why you will notice a much tighter feel to your handling and steering response. The PU's properties are much better than rubber.
lilherc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2004, 01:36 AM   #7
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-DOG
Nice DIY, when you were getting the new bushing on, did you hammer it onto the control arm??

BTW, since it was such a PITA to take out the OEM bushings, doesn't that say something about their durability....After thoroughly reading this DIY, I think that the OEM bushing is already pretty damn overengeneered...
The bushings went right on for the most part. I might have used a block of wood to bang it on a little but it wasn't very hard at all.

Yes it was a pain, no it says nothing about the OE quality. The inner rubber part of the bushing itself isn't hard to get out (see attachment with it missing). What is hard to get out is the steel sleeve. I actually pressed the rubber part out when I was trying to figure out what I was going to do. Then I beat on the steel part with a hammer and tried a couple other things before making my "tool"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carrierwithsleeve.jpg
Views:	14400
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	66881  
Old 02-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-DOG View Post

In a sense. The problem with the oe bushing is the fluid filled section is going to pop and the inner and outer part will be just fine, but that fluid filler membrane isn't worth crap.
This is where mine is shot at. The rest of it is fine.
If you look at a meyle cab, an oe cab, and a pf cab, you will instaltly see where the oe one just doesn't look like its cutting it.
Plus factor in that most of us have lowered cars, rolling on larger than stock wheels, and you're already adding a lot more stress to that bushing than it was meant for.

This is why BMW dealers try to void your suspension warranty if you lower your car, etc.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #9
Davidle0612

My Ride: E46 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post

31. Bushing installed.

32. Install the inner bushing part. I use white lithium grease to lubricate the two parts.

33. The bushings all ready to install.

34. Everything bolted back together. Carrier to frame rails takes 44 ft/lbs and the chassis brace to frame is two stage. First tighten to 43 lb/fts then tighten another 90 degrees and another 30 degrees. (per the Bentley manual).

Hello Tim, you are cool. I like to know how come people don't use the new bushing as an adapter to push the old bushing sleeve out? I think new bushing pushing old bushing is perfect since their sizes are 100% matching. I saw a YouTube clip that the guy does this way using a hydraulic press.
Davidle0612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:13 PM   #10
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i
I again used the ball joint press and pressed in the power flex bushings. I took the purple inner section of the bushing out while pressing it in. It was a two step process to press the bushings in. The first time I could not use the spacer sleeve that comes with the press because there was not room.

30. With the bushing pressed in half way I added the sleeve so that the bushing could properly seat on both sides of the carrier.

This part is a PITA, especialy without a ball joint press. Currently where I'm stuck.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:51 AM   #11
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
This part is a PITA, especialy without a ball joint press. Currently where I'm stuck.
I rented a ball joint press and it worked like a charm.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2004, 06:34 PM   #12
rkj082000

My Ride: 1999 328i
Started replacing my bushings today

Finally got up enough nerve to attempt to change out my front control arm bushings today, so far, so good, Tim's write up has been very helpfull so far. I only had time today to remove the drivers side carrier and clean up the control arm. I managed to get the rest of the bushing off of the control arm with a 2 jaw puller I borrowed from a friend (see pic). This worked extremely well. I am going to try and make the tool Tim described in his write up to remove the metal sleeve from the carrier. Do I need a bech grinder to grind down the pipe cap or is there another way (don't have a bench grinder). Also, the new bushings have like a lip on both sides, how did you press the new bushing in with the lip, did it just squeeze through? How much does autozone charge to rent a ball joint press for a day? Thanks in advance...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2jawpuller.JPG
Views:	10715
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	67746  
rkj082000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 11:26 AM   #13
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Glad you are giving it a try.

I used an angle grinder but a bench grinder, dremel tool or something else might work also.

The lip on the new bushings just gets pushed through. A ball joint press requires a $105 deposit but is fully refundable when you return the press, so it actually doesn't cost you anything to rent it.

Good luck,
Tim
Old 02-19-2004, 07:29 AM   #14
rkj082000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i
Glad you are giving it a try.

I used an angle grinder but a bench grinder, dremel tool or something else might work also.

The lip on the new bushings just gets pushed through. A ball joint press requires a $105 deposit but is fully refundable when you return the press, so it actually doesn't cost you anything to rent it.

Good luck,
Tim
Yep, rented the ball joint press yesterday from autozone, also bought a torque wrench while I was there. I also broke down and bought a bench grinder yesterday from Lowes. I bought a 2" cap plug in plumbing, and this fit perfect to press out the driver side metal sleeve. But the pass. side one the plug just keeps "slipping" inside the the sleeve and it won't push it out. I am stuck at this point. I started grinding down a 2" cap yesterday, what a pain, takes forever, I hope this works because I don't know what else I can try, maybe a large socket? Everything was going great up until this point. I sprayed the sleeve with a penetrator/magnetic lubricant last night I hope this frees it up a little bit. Any other ideas? If I can not get it out, does anyone know the part number for the carrier? Thinking I might just have to buy a new carrier for the pass. side. Thanks in advance......
Old 02-20-2004, 07:43 AM   #15
rkj082000

Got it out!

I finished grinding down the 2" cap to use to press out the metal sleeve out of the carrier. I took me a long time to grind it to fit perfectly. So I set up the press with it, start turning, and the press pressed right through the cap, uggggg! The sleeve did not budge. Feeling desperate, I took the carrier with the sleeve still inside to the local shop to see if the mech. could take a look. Five minutes later it was out. The guy was amazing to watch. He used a air hammer and a recipricating saw and it came right out. So last night I pressed the new bushings in. Only thing left to do is bolt everything back together, which I plan on doing this afternoon. I have enough plumbing caps and plugs, and misc. crap to open up a plumbing warehouse, hehehe. A word of advice to avoid my problem, make sure when you press out the old bushing that press is perfectly straight before you start pressing, if starts out crooked at all, the sleeve will be stuck. Other than that, it's relatively easy. Are there any other bushings I should look at replacing while I have the press rented? If so where are they located. Thanks
Old 02-20-2004, 11:37 AM   #16
tim330i
Owner/Admin

Sorry you had a problem with my techniqe. As I said I am not sure it is the best way but it did work for me.

Not really an easy install because of the OE sleeves but otherwise it isn't too bad.

Tim
Old 03-03-2004, 06:51 AM   #17
IanUK

My Ride: 99 328ci se
Excellent write up Tim, every E46er should read it! My car's steering is pretty much all over the place because of the standard worn-out bushes.

Could you tell me, is there any increase in road noise transmitted inside the car or any other "undesirable" effect like tyre rumble noise etc or banging over pot holes

One feature I like about my car is its silky smooth.

Thanks

Ian
IanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 12:03 PM   #18
tim330i
Owner/Admin

check the main page of the site (www.e46fanatics.com) for my write up.

Tim
Old 06-12-2005, 10:38 AM   #19
WOSBY

My Ride: 07 BMW E90 335i
Send a message via Yahoo to WOSBY
Very thorough DIY install Tim. Thanks.

For those of you that are considering replacing your OEM bushings with Powerflex, you can make Tims DIY instructions even easier by also replacing the control arm, as the ball joints on them use "rubber sleeves" that are prone to wear. There are now control arms on the market with a "metal sleeve" ball joint, not prone to the oil leak failure of rubber ones.

Also keep in mind that any suspension work of this nature should be followed by a wheel alignment

Happy Motoring,
Wosby
WOSBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:49 PM   #20
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
a good way to get the bushings back onto the control arm is with dish soap. they slide right on without any problems.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote