E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2004, 09:34 PM   #1
e46brian330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 7
My Ride: 2002 330i
M3 seat swap into 330i - SO happy...

For the longest time I've wanted sports seats in my 330i, but there were none to be found...then I found some E46 M3 seats on Ebay. I snatched them up, but it turns out the seatbelt attaches differently.

Long story short, I figured out how to swap the seat rails, and now I have M3 seats installed in my 330i. (Note the standard 4-spoke steering wheel but the obviously sports seats).

These seats are sweet. Obviously, they have the extra bolstering like the 3-series sports seats (maybe even more), but in addition, the back bolsters are electrically adjustable. They have more controls and adjustments than I can name. The bottom line, however, is that they plug right in and work like a charm with no problems---so if you have been considering a seat swap, be advised that M3 seats will work in addition to 3-series seats. They're interchangeable, and I'm driving the proof.

The only downside is that the leather is ever so slightly darker than in the 330i, but once installed in the car I can barely even notice. And the improved comfort and especially stability and security while throwing the car around in corners is just great. It's just what I wanted: a 330i with sports seats but no sports suspension or special tires. Ahhhh!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0882 (600x450).JPG
Views:	2378
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	77806  
e46brian330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:41 PM   #2
coffee
Waiting for my V8 4door M3!
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,515
My Ride: is Pepsi blue
Send a message via AIM to coffee
aren't those the sport seats for the 3 series too?
__________________
coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 10:27 PM   #3
guest1008
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 2,048
My Ride: 08 Lexus ES350
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee
aren't those the sport seats for the 3 series too?
you can tell those are M3 seats cuz the regular sports seats don't have the shoulder bolsters like that
guest1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:47 PM   #4
Dalton
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 4,810
My Ride: goes wshh
if you dont mind me asking, how much did those cost you?
Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:21 AM   #5
Casanova
Europrojektz Malaysia
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Los Angeles/Malaysia
Posts: 1,727
My Ride: E46/E92/RX8
Send a message via ICQ to Casanova Send a message via AIM to Casanova Send a message via MSN to Casanova
Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57
you can tell those are M3 seats cuz the regular sports seats don't have the shoulder bolsters like that
and the M3 seats say ///M on the headrests

Glad you like em...I've had M3 seats in my car for a while now and don't think I could ever go back to regular 3er seats.
__________________
Drive Hard. Look Good. Be Loud. Get Some.

Director of Europrojektz Malaysia Chapter
Hamann GT-R Widebody | Modified AA-Tuning supercharger kit
My New Ride
Casanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 09:41 PM   #6
03M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston/Dallas
Posts: 625
My Ride: 06 VW GLi
Send a message via AIM to 03M3
Need some more pics, but sounds awesome. That would be a nice set up.
03M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:22 PM   #7
BealeAss
Movin On Up
 
BealeAss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 574
My Ride: 05 GT3, 05 Nismo-F
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46brian330i
For the longest time I've wanted sports seats in my 330i, but there were none to be found...then I found some E46 M3 seats on Ebay. I snatched them up, but it turns out the seatbelt attaches differently.

Long story short, I figured out how to swap the seat rails, and now I have M3 seats installed in my 330i. (Note the standard 4-spoke steering wheel but the obviously sports seats).

These seats are sweet. Obviously, they have the extra bolstering like the 3-series sports seats (maybe even more), but in addition, the back bolsters are electrically adjustable. They have more controls and adjustments than I can name. The bottom line, however, is that they plug right in and work like a charm with no problems---so if you have been considering a seat swap, be advised that M3 seats will work in addition to 3-series seats. They're interchangeable, and I'm driving the proof.

The only downside is that the leather is ever so slightly darker than in the 330i, but once installed in the car I can barely even notice. And the improved comfort and especially stability and security while throwing the car around in corners is just great. It's just what I wanted: a 330i with sports seats but no sports suspension or special tires. Ahhhh!!

awesome,just awesome i have been waiting to see someone do it and do it right for a loooong time in a 330i. good work i want some too!
__________________
BealeAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:28 PM   #8
NickACS
BOOM!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,877
My Ride: TWC E46 ETCC WB
I did mine already...It's already been done on 323i/325i/328i/330i models? Not sure why everybody thinks this is so new?
'Alan L' did his 323i over a year ago and 'Sansan' did it in his 325xi last year too.. I know there's more out there, just can't remember their screen names

Glad you like it...I know I do too! Nothing beats the smooth, nappa leather.. haha
NickACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 10:49 PM   #9
Sharoo
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 9
My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i
Nick those are some sick rims-- sorry off topic..
Sharoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 08:48 PM   #10
e46brian330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 7
My Ride: 2002 330i
Well, it makes sense that others have done it---it was only new to me! I should have known I wasn't exactly blazing new trails, but was so excited I had to post about it.

As far as the comment that these may be the same as 3-series sports seats, the M3's are a bit different in that they offer adjustable side-bolsters. I don't think the 3-series sports seats have that option.

I'll post more pics if anybody really wants them, or more explanation. Mainly just wanted to give others the knowledge it's doable.
e46brian330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 09:17 PM   #11
notE46
Where am I?
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 1,807
My Ride: M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46brian330i
Well, it makes sense that others have done it---it was only new to me! I should have known I wasn't exactly blazing new trails, but was so excited I had to post about it.

As far as the comment that these may be the same as 3-series sports seats, the M3's are a bit different in that they offer adjustable side-bolsters. I don't think the 3-series sports seats have that option.

I'll post more pics if anybody really wants them, or more explanation. Mainly just wanted to give others the knowledge it's doable.
i believe the adjustable side bolsters were an option. if it didn't have that option I would imagine it is the same as the 3xx Coupe seats.
__________________
'87 325iS Sold but not forgotten.
'08 MINI Cooper S Mellow Yellow
'00 M Coupe Dakar Duck
'02 330ia
notE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 09:44 PM   #12
NickACS
BOOM!
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: ATL
Posts: 3,877
My Ride: TWC E46 ETCC WB
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46brian330i
Well, it makes sense that others have done it---it was only new to me! I should have known I wasn't exactly blazing new trails, but was so excited I had to post about it.

As far as the comment that these may be the same as 3-series sports seats, the M3's are a bit different in that they offer adjustable side-bolsters. I don't think the 3-series sports seats have that option.

I'll post more pics if anybody really wants them, or more explanation. Mainly just wanted to give others the knowledge it's doable.
Haha, no problem, glad your enjoying it!

yes, the adjustable side bolsters is an option on the E46 M3 seats. Enjoy!
NickACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 08:38 PM   #13
az1roadrunner
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 2
My Ride: 98 BMW Z3
Smile Nice Job

So, you found them, after a long search, figured out how to install them and then have the gaul to post them on E46fanatics? I'm impressed. They look good in the car. Glad you didn't send in the "I can't tell what color my car is" photo.

And now, you are probably feeling pretty fat and happy, with the 330 and the seats and all and I know you are pretty proud of this but at the same time, I just want to remind you that (even though this may be blasphemous on this web site),
This is still a great ride!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	z3tdownbs.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	78592  
az1roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 08:50 PM   #14
niL
is on da floor
 
niL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 2,695
My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via AIM to niL
Quote:
Originally Posted by az1roadrunner
So, you found them, after a long search, figured out how to install them and then have the gaul to post them on E46fanatics? I'm impressed. They look good in the car. Glad you didn't send in the "I can't tell what color my car is" photo.

And now, you are probably feeling pretty fat and happy, with the 330 and the seats and all and I know you are pretty proud of this but at the same time, I just want to remind you that (even though this may be blasphemous on this web site),
This is still a great ride!
what the hell
__________________

2001 330i rebuilt from the salvage yard
From start to finish...
niL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 09:15 PM   #15
Nick325xiT 5spd
BMW Land Barge
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Bethesda, MD
Posts: 1,378
My Ride: '04 M3 & '99 323i
Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd
You need either some leatherique or some spinneybeck leather cleaner BAD.

Other than that, great job.

For those that don't know, the width adjustable lumbar makes the M3 seats feel VERY different. Swapping between the M3 and the Barge, I felt like I had switched to a Volvo. The difference is that huge, and it ISN'T related to the rear hatch.
__________________
Nick325xiT 5spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 06:24 PM   #16
e46brian330i
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 7
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
You need either some leatherique or some spinneybeck leather cleaner BAD.
I know. But just out of curiosity, what were you looking at when you cringed?
e46brian330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 08:08 PM   #17
az1roadrunner
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 2
My Ride: 98 BMW Z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by niL
what the hell
Brian is my brother, six years younger. We are both road runners and I wanted to give him a bit of a joust. It's a joke.
az1roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #18
Tament
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: South Florida
Posts: 157
My Ride: 2001 330I
M3 seat swap into 330i - SO happy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by az1roadrunner View Post
So, you found them, after a long search, figured out how to install them and then have the gaul to post them on E46fanatics? I'm impressed. They look good in the car. Glad you didn't send in the "I can't tell what color my car is" photo.

And now, you are probably feeling pretty fat and happy, with the 330 and the seats and all and I know you are pretty proud of this but at the same time, I just want to remind you that (even though this may be blasphemous on this web site),
This is still a great ride!
The girl or the car?



Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Tament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #19
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member
 
BigDRick323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 1,422
My Ride: 2000 323i
Ok, finally found a thread on this. I bought M3 vert seats and I am having an issue: bolts are wider in my 323i than the rails on the m3 seats. Anyone face this? here's pics!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00078.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	505022   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00079.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	505023   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00081.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	505024   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00082.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	505025  

__________________

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058

Last edited by BigDRick323; 05-11-2013 at 12:17 PM.
BigDRick323 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #20
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,780
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
wow this is an old thread bump.

it has always been said convertible seats won't swap for a few reasons. this is the first of hearing the bolt holes don't fit. Not sure if that's because the convertibles have different metal welded in to make the seat attachments stronger. but I know M3 coupe seats fit a 323Ci, so it's not a 323 thing.
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFOLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA SPORT TUNE - AA PULLEYS - BILSTEIN PSS9s - AS 40% SSK
CF CSL RACE LIP - NAVI - BMW PERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC SS BRKLINES, TRANS MNTS, RTABs - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use