E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2002, 11:07 PM   #1
Topaz330

My Ride: 08MGT,12CLS63 Launch
ok its offical, when i installed the nr guages it mess up my speedo

now my speedo is about 5 mph off. it reads that i'm going 5 mph slower than what i'm really doing. i tried almost anything i could to fix it. first off i took off the nr guages( they look aight but i'll stick to the stock look) then i tried to replug everything back in, but it recalibrates it to the same spot thats way lower than what its supposed to be. i tried plugging it in and moving the needle on notch forward to get it to where its supposed to be. it worked for alittle while but somehow went back to the same spot later on. does anyone know how to get the needle back to where its supposed to be? do i need to bring it to the dealer to maybe recalibrate it or something? i mean the needle isn't broken because it moves perfectly fine but this thing is driving me nuts! any help please. heres a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nrsnsguage.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	633  

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-20-2002, 11:39 PM   #2
Titan 3

My Ride: E46 325ci ~ E92 328i
Send a message via AIM to Titan 3
Unhappy

sorry to hear about the drama.
If you're selling the gauges in new condition I'd like to hear about it. Hit me up on email.

thanx,
Mike
Titan 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 03:12 AM   #3
Cecil
^.^

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via ICQ to Cecil Send a message via AIM to Cecil
Re: ok its offical, when i installed the nr guages it mess up my speedo

Quote:
Originally posted by Topaz330
now my speedo is about 5 mph off. it reads that i'm going 5 mph slower than what i'm really doing. i tried almost anything i could to fix it. first off i took off the nr guages( they look aight but i'll stick to the stock look) then i tried to replug everything back in, but it recalibrates it to the same spot thats way lower than what its supposed to be. i tried plugging it in and moving the needle on notch forward to get it to where its supposed to be. it worked for alittle while but somehow went back to the same spot later on. does anyone know how to get the needle back to where its supposed to be? do i need to bring it to the dealer to maybe recalibrate it or something? i mean the needle isn't broken because it moves perfectly fine but this thing is driving me nuts! any help please. heres a pic:
Well it's a really good one to tell the popo when pulled for speeding?

"Nothing is permanent... except change... "
Cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 09:29 AM   #4
Topaz330

anyone know if this is fixable?
Old 04-21-2002, 11:52 AM   #5
Cyclone
I'm Mini Clem

My Ride: 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0T
Send a message via ICQ to Cyclone Send a message via AIM to Cyclone Send a message via MSN to Cyclone Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclone
Quote:
Originally posted by Topaz330
anyone know if this is fixable?
Seems like I remember people suggesting moving the needles as far from 0 as possible (Towards the top speed). and then back to 0 again. This tells the speedo your max and min speeds. Or something like that.
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 12:16 PM   #6
-Ryan-
Registered Abuser

My Ride: E92 335i
Did you check your speedo before installing the gauges? I know my car is about 3 mph off just because the difference in tire size (going from stock to aftermarket). Find one of those online tire size calculator things that includes mph adjustment and put in your stock tire size compared to what you have now.

Just a theory...

** NWS removed - tim330i **
-Ryan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2002, 01:17 PM   #7
Topaz330

Quote:
Originally posted by Rdubb
Did you check your speedo before installing the gauges? I know my car is about 3 mph off just because the difference in tire size (going from stock to aftermarket). Find one of those online tire size calculator things that includes mph adjustment and put in your stock tire size compared to what you have now.

Just a theory...
well yeah i don't mind that, but if you look in my pic, the needle sits way below where its supposed to sit