E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 10-28-2004, 06:54 PM   #1
minig0d

My Ride: OrientBlu 2001 325xi
Send a message via AIM to minig0d
Perfect Clutch Stop in 30 seconds? Less then $5...

Ok so after reading all these threads about clutch stops I decided to give it a shot... I have an 01 325xi (sedan) so I don't know how many other applications this will work PERFECTLY for but it should work on all begining E46's til mid 01 in the sedans. (the coupe may be a little different but not much and the post-mid 01's I don't know how much play you have with the magnetic switch so you should experiment a little). I ran to Lowes right by work and played around for about an hour on my lunch break until I finaly found the perfect things. You need 2 parts, no glue, and less then 30 seconds install time. Part #1 is in the drawers with all the other bolts, its called an "Elevator Bolt" 3/8" x 1 1/2" it is blackish in color (price $0.97). Part #2 is a few isles over in the adhesive bumpers for furniture, its called "Grippers" 1 1/2" Self-Stick the part # is "7384" from SoftTouch (price $3.04). The grippers package has 8 little discs in it so you can make 8 clutch stops

Assembly: Take elevator bolt out of package. Take 1 disc out of package. Remove sticker covering adhesive from disc. Center disc on elevator bolt and press on.

Installation: unscrew your factory clutch stop by hand (the black thing behind your clutch pedal on the floorboard). Screw in your newly assembled one all the way (just hand tight you don't need to wrench tighten it it isnt going anywhere)

You're done. No glues, no mess, etc. This setup is the perfect height, it doesn't require any adjustment of the clutch switch for the ignition (my car doesn't have cruise so can't test that obviously). The best part about this is it looks a lot more professional then most of the homemade ones i've seen pictures of on these boards. Enjoy.

Being less then $5 and less then 30 seconds of install time (and probably less then 2 minutes of shopping time now that I told you all the part numbers) you should have NO reason to not go do this right now... I was kinda skeptical but this has been the best mod for the money anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clutchstop1.jpg
Views:	9057
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	96972   Click image for larger version

Name:	clutchstop2.jpg
Views:	8169
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	96973  
minig0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:25 PM   #2
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
not bad

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:36 PM   #3
Wagon Man
Ultimate Wagon

My Ride: 00 iT (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minig0d
Being less then $5 and less then 30 seconds of install time (and probably less then 2 minutes of shopping time now that I told you all the part numbers) you should have NO reason to not go do this right now... I was kinda skeptical but this has been the best mod for the money anywhere.
You're my hero
Wagon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:46 PM   #4
JoeK
99% Stock

My Ride: 03 330
That's a pretty simple and clean clutch stop.

By the way, what did you mean by the cruise thing?
JoeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 07:04 AM   #5
badwayz

My Ride: BMW's
I think I'll make one today.
badwayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 07:47 AM   #6
minig0d

My Ride: OrientBlu 2001 325xi
Send a message via AIM to minig0d
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeK
That's a pretty simple and clean clutch stop.

By the way, what did you mean by the cruise thing?
While reading some earlier posts on the clutch stops I saw a reminder of the cruise control aspect of the clutch stop. This doesn't affect me as I don't have cruise control, but I think I read that there is a seperate switch on the clutch for the cruise control system and that it didn't use the switch that the starting system does (but I could be wrong). The cruise control uses a sensor on the clutch that turns off the cruise control (or possibly disengages it temporarily?) when you depress the clutch to shift gears (for obvious reasons). If there is a second switch I wasn't able to tell if this exact position set would allow for both switches to be depressed with the clutch all the way against the stop (but I'm thinking it should be just fine.)

Let me know how these turn out for yall. And if someone with cruise control could check and make sure that this particular height allows the cruise to disengaged when the clutch is depressed that would be cool.
minig0d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:03 AM   #7
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
I'm doing this today I have cruise control too, ill test it out and see what happens.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:03 AM   #8
kaotik

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via AIM to kaotik
Cruise Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoStu
I'm doing this today I have cruise control too, ill test it out and see what happens.
Did you get a chance to try out the clutch stop? How did it do with the cruise control?
kaotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 04:34 PM   #9
kaotik

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via AIM to kaotik
Clutch Stop with Cruise Control

Quote:
While reading some earlier posts on the clutch stops I saw a reminder of the cruise control aspect of the clutch stop. This doesn't affect me as I don't have cruise control, but I think I read that there is a seperate switch on the clutch for the cruise control system and that it didn't use the switch that the starting system does (but I could be wrong). The cruise control uses a sensor on the clutch that turns off the cruise control (or possibly disengages it temporarily?) when you depress the clutch to shift gears (for obvious reasons). If there is a second switch I wasn't able to tell if this exact position set would allow for both switches to be depressed with the clutch all the way against the stop (but I'm thinking it should be just fine.)

Let me know how these turn out for yall. And if someone with cruise control could check and make sure that this particular height allows the cruise to disengaged when the clutch is depressed that would be cool.
Hey did anyone get back to you on the cruise control issue?
kaotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 04:16 PM   #10
LakeShow
Millennium Bankers Mortgage

My Ride: is almost finished!
Send a message via AIM to LakeShow Send a message via Yahoo to LakeShow
Man this mod aint no Bull$hit. It took me 5 mins to drive down to ACE Hardware and 1 min. to install. I'm loving it!!! Anybody thinking of doing this mod, just follow the instructions given and material needed and your car will start right up. No fiddling with the clutch stop or anything. THANKS ALOT FOR THE AWSOME DIY!!!!!
Old 11-05-2004, 04:51 PM   #11
baldonenc

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
WOW! minig0d was right... It was an easy mod... I'm really mechanically declined and even I was able to find the parts in under 5 minutes and install in less than 1... By the way, I have cruise contol and with this mod, when you press in the clutch, cruise control will disengage... So far, no ill effects, just smoother shifting... Thanks again!!!
baldonenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 06:40 AM   #12
Santiago

My Ride: 2004 325iT
Send a message via ICQ to Santiago Send a message via MSN to Santiago
Quote:
Ok so after reading all these threads about clutch stops I decided to give it a shot... I have an 01 325xi (sedan) so I don't know how many other applications this will work PERFECTLY for but it should work on all begining E46's til mid 01 in the sedans. (the coupe may be a little different but not much and the post-mid 01's I don't know how much play you have with the magnetic switch so you should experiment a little). I ran to Lowes right by work and played around for about an hour on my lunch break until I finaly found the perfect things. You need 2 parts, no glue, and less then 30 seconds install time. Part #1 is in the drawers with all the other bolts, its called an "Elevator Bolt" 3/8" x 1 1/2" it is blackish in color (price $0.97). Part #2 is a few isles over in the adhesive bumpers for furniture, its called "Grippers" 1 1/2" Self-Stick the part # is "7384" from SoftTouch (price $3.04). The grippers package has 8 little discs in it so you can make 8 clutch stops

Assembly: Take elevator bolt out of package. Take 1 disc out of package. Remove sticker covering adhesive from disc. Center disc on elevator bolt and press on.

Installation: unscrew your factory clutch stop by hand (the black thing behind your clutch pedal on the floorboard). Screw in your newly assembled one all the way (just hand tight you don't need to wrench tighten it it isnt going anywhere)

You're done. No glues, no mess, etc. This setup is the perfect height, it doesn't require any adjustment of the clutch switch for the ignition (my car doesn't have cruise so can't test that obviously). The best part about this is it looks a lot more professional then most of the homemade ones i've seen pictures of on these boards. Enjoy.

Very cool mod. I have a quesion though. The elevator bolt likely has an imperial thread and I would guess that clutch stop on our cars have a metric thread. Isn't there a danger of cross-threading?

Life is fragile
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 10:56 AM   #13
bearing01

My Ride: 02-E46/86-E30
why do this???

What is the purpose of swapping out the factory installed clutch stop with this mod?

What does mod do?
bearing01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 11:50 AM   #14
Santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearing01
What is the purpose of swapping out the factory installed clutch stop with this mod?

What does mod do?
Here's how Rogue Engineering markets their Clutch Stop.

http://www.bimmerworld.com/html/rogu...lutch-stop.htm
"Limit clutch pedal travel for faster shifting

Rogue Engineering Clutch Stop The clutch pedals in manual transmission cars often have way to much travel past the clutch engagement point. This additional travel adds additional time to your shift, slowing your acceleration. Designed to stop clutch travel immediately past the engagement point for faster, more precise shifts.

Fits all E28, E30, E36, E39, E46, Z3, and Z8 cars with manual transmissions. (NOTE: some later E36 and all E46 BMWs require the clutch to be partially or fully depressed in order to start the vehicle. Because of the nature of the clutch stop, it does not allow the clutch to be depressed fully, to the floor, and may not activate the switch to allow the car to start.) "

Life is fragile
Old 11-06-2004, 02:47 PM   #15
wjjeeper

My Ride: .... is SOLD
Hey guys I just did this clutch stop mod aswell. Shifts are great and the car starts just fine. I did want to mention that I couldn't find any self adhesive rubber stoppers that I liked. So I ended up taking the rubber stopper off of the stock one and it fit on my elevator bolt perfectly. If anyone wants to get a new stock rubber stopper its part # 02 38 5912 23

Do you know your history?
wjjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:15 PM   #16
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
OK WTF? I made this clutch stop today and when i went to start my car, it didn't start. I tried to tighten the clutch stop as much as i could, still wouldn't start. So i ripped off the rubber stopper and my car started. Clutch stop works well and all i just hear a loud metal clank everytime i change gears. So i thought to maybe cut the rubber stopper in half, still no luck. I like 1mm away from getting it to start with the rubber stopper on
Old 11-10-2004, 09:15 AM   #17
Santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjeeper
Hey guys I just did this clutch stop mod aswell. Shifts are great and the car starts just fine. I did want to mention that I couldn't find any self adhesive rubber stoppers that I liked. So I ended up taking the rubber stopper off of the stock one and it fit on my elevator bolt perfectly. If anyone wants to get a new stock rubber stopper its part # 02 38 5912 23
Hey wjjeeper,

What Canadian store did you get the elevator bolt from? Did the threads match (i.e. no cross-threading?)

Life is fragile
Old 05-22-2008, 12:26 PM   #18
tony325ci_51

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
(NOTE: some later E36 and all E46 BMWs require the clutch to be partially or fully depressed in order to start the vehicle.) "
WRONG!

UK e46's do not require the clutch to be pressed to start the engine, that's unheard of in any car here. Hence drivers are trained and trusted to ensure their car is in neutral before starting the car, just as surely as you look around before driving away, it's fundamental to the driving test. Having said that, accidents can happen and it's not unheard of to see someone's car lurch forward as they try to start it, having been previously left in gear.

It seems someone at BMW decided to include this extra safeguard for the US market, where automatic gearboxes are far more prevalent and people are more used to this safeguard. (Have fun with an English friend, invite them to drive your car, they'll have no idea why it won't start, who would think to depress the clutch ?).

I can see good and bad points with it. The bad is the inconvenience as pointed out by guys in this thread, the good is that it may avoid accidents caused by a momentary lapse of concentration.

Last edited by tony325ci_51; 05-22-2008 at 12:30 PM.
tony325ci_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 12:44 AM   #19
LA e46

My Ride: 2000 323i
just installed my new homemade clutch stop u really need to cut alot of the gripper pad thing in order to get the engine to start but the clutch stop is great. (dont go to home depot they dont have the stuff u need)
LA e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:00 PM   #20
ajc5000

My Ride: E46 330d
Confused???

[QUOTE]
Fits all E28, E30, E36, E39, E46, Z3, and Z8 cars with manual transmissions. (NOTE: some later E36 and all E46 BMWs require the clutch to be partially or fully depressed in order to start the vehicle. Because of the nature of the clutch stop, it does not allow the clutch to be depressed fully, to the floor, and may not activate the switch to allow the car to start.) "

Firstly great DIY, I am going to make one at work tomorrow.

I am confused about all the posts saying you are not able to start the car unless the clutch is depressed. I know this is what you do on an auto box (but pressing the brake pedal). My manual 330d will start with out me pressing the clutch in. I obviously have it in neutral and I am not going to try starting the thing while its in gear, to see if this function works on mine. The quote above says it applies to all E46's, is this only in the US?

Last edited by ajc5000; 11-15-2004 at 06:22 PM.
ajc5000 is offline   Reply With Quote