E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2004, 09:25 AM   #1
bmwti
yuppie racing
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,959
My Ride: 2008 335i coupe
what are your thoughts on christmas, and celebrating it??

Some may say that, in recent years christmas is getting downgraded. You read stories of schools banning gift giving during the holidays, on school grounds, as it "might" offend the people that dont celebrate the holiday.

I just read a news article, about how someone is suing her local township, because they refused to let her put up a display celebrating the birth of christ, yet right next to where she wanted to put it, a menorah was proudly displayed.

My friends work asked him to take down his little christmas tree off his desk, because it might upset coworkers.- yet someone else, was able to keep her "happy kwanzaa" cards that family members gave her - standing up at her desk.

What are some christians thoughts on the issues? do you feel that some of the political correctness has gotten out of hand?

What about the members on here that don't celebrate the holiday, do you feel that the christmas holiday is overbearing, and offends you to some degree?

What about the people that dont consider themselves religious at all, what are your thoughts on saying "happy holidays" instead of "merry christmas"?

Thought this might be an interesting discussion.
__________________
bmwti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:04 AM   #2
James330I
Imported Redneck
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 881
My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
Xmas is Xmas man. If not for the religions implications behind it, how about celebrating the happiness and joy that it brings to people? The gift-giving and togetherness during this time of year is hard to miss. Christmas to me is more than the religion behind it.

I know many jews and atheists who allow their children to celebrate xmas because it's cruel to have them miss out on this magical time of year.

You really really have to be a cruel and miserable person if you think someone celebrating xmas in front of you is offending your non-christian beliefs.
__________________
------------------------





2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:05 AM   #3
guest1008
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 2,048
My Ride: 08 Lexus ES350
I celebrate it. I'm not the gov't so I can be as religious as I want. Course, I'm not hardcore like some people are (like Baptists I suppose), so I'm not as in your face about it. I love X-mas. It's a very important religious event, but, it's got tons of fun secular stuff too. X-mas trees, all the decorations, holiday foods... I like all that stuff. Prolly cuz I'm in Cali so it makes me imagine snow and all that winter scenery cept I don't have to live with bundling up and shoveling snow and crap.

Basically, people need to chill out. One of my coworkers is Jewish. He's got his menorrah and stuff. But, he's got Santa Claus dolls, lights, and a bunch of "X-mas" decorations up too just cuz he likes teh holidays and everything about it like me. But, at his old workplace, some Orthodox Jew yelled at him for having that stuff. Said, "What, are you ashamed of being a Jew?" just cuz he had lights and secular decorations up. Nothing like a cross or Jesus or anything. So retarded. It's my office and as long as I don't put anything up that goes directly at people (like a "Repent or Die!" sign), people should leave me alone and let me celebrate how I want.
guest1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 11:57 AM   #4
330man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 730
My Ride: Is sold
Send a message via AIM to 330man
If people are offended my the celebration of XMAS then they should petition their senators to have the national holiday revoked. Isn't the point of a democracy that the majority rules? Is that not how an election works? Is that not how propositions are enacted? If people are offended by XMAS, good for them. They have a right to be offended and to speak their minds about it. But don't just whine, take action. Try to ban the federal holiday of XMAS. If you fail, then it's time to ****.
__________________


At this point in the development of our society, there is virtually no writing which has not been plagiarized at least in part from another. I read that somewhere.
330man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:04 PM   #5
benzfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 399
My Ride: my ride
Christmas is not about religion anymore. It has become like Halloween. Halloween started off as a pagean holiday, now it is something totally different. You don't see people whining saying "It is a pagean holiday and I am offended.". Last time I checked Jesus had nothing to do with Reindeers, Rudolph, Christmas trees and presents. Christmas is religious for anyone that makes it religious. But for the rest of the people it is just to give and recieve presents. Anyone who says that christmas is purely a religious holiday is mistaken.
__________________
Life, the only thing worth dying for.
benzfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:07 PM   #6
330man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Left Coast
Posts: 730
My Ride: Is sold
Send a message via AIM to 330man
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzfreak
Christmas is not about religion anymore. It has become like Halloween. Halloween started off as a pagean holiday, now it is something totally different. You don't see people whining saying "It is a pagean holiday and I am offended.". Last time I checked Jesus had nothing to do with Reindeers, Rudolph, Christmas trees and presents. Christmas is religious for anyone that makes it religious. But for the rest of the people it is just to give and recieve presents. Anyone who says that christmas is purely a religious holiday is mistaken.
A christmas tree is significant due to it's evergreen nature. It is supposed to represent the eternal life and love of Jesus.
__________________


At this point in the development of our society, there is virtually no writing which has not been plagiarized at least in part from another. I read that somewhere.
330man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army
 
VALMONT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: So Cal
Posts: 24,600
My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
Quote:
Originally Posted by James330I View Post
Xmas is Xmas man. If not for the religions implications behind it, how about celebrating the happiness and joy that it brings to people? The gift-giving and togetherness during this time of year is hard to miss. Christmas to me is more than the religion behind it.

I know many jews and atheists who allow their children to celebrate xmas because it's cruel to have them miss out on this magical time of year.

You really really have to be a cruel and miserable person if you think someone celebrating xmas in front of you is offending your non-christian beliefs.
__________________
VALMONT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
niko084
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Saint Paul, MN
Posts: 143
My Ride: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by James330I View Post
Christmas to me is more than the religion behind it.
Agreed, I am about as far away from religious as they get.

But Christmas is one holiday I think I'll always celebrate, I could care less about the meaning or the name, it's always been a good and fun time.

Lets just call it Winter Tree Day.

Last edited by niko084; 12-01-2009 at 06:52 PM.
niko084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica
 
rdsesq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Cali...the only state that matters
Posts: 1,452
My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwti
Some may say that, in recent years christmas is getting downgraded. You read stories of schools banning gift giving during the holidays, on school grounds, as it "might" offend the people that dont celebrate the holiday.
As long as they are doing this for everybody no gift exchange, I'm cool with that. I think it has much more to do with kids of various income levels going to the same school rather then anything religious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwti
I just read a news article, about how someone is suing her local township, because they refused to let her put up a display celebrating the birth of christ, yet right next to where she wanted to put it, a menorah was proudly displayed.
Yep, that is discrimination and should not be allowed. either allow both or neither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwti
My friends work asked him to take down his little christmas tree off his desk, because it might upset coworkers.- yet someone else, was able to keep her "happy kwanzaa" cards that family members gave her - standing up at her desk.
This is also discrimination and should not be allowed. The only thing would be if the tree was real as it might pose a fire hazard. There are some weird code rules about certain types of combustable meterial. If the tree is not real, then it is most likely discrimination. Was he allowed to keep xmas cards up. The rule can be the cards are ok but other stuff is not. So a tree or a menorah, might not be.


As for me. I don't celebrate it. (Actually, I am probably upgrading my halos that day since the guy doing it Jewish. When we were looking for a time we realized that neither of us has anythign going on on the 25th. )

The only real problem I have with Dec 25th, is basically everything is closed. Starbucks, most fast food, Fry's electronics, 24 hour grocery stores (what's up with that anyway )
Also, the fact that everyplace you go is playing holiday music. I don't object to it, but it does get annoying.

If people want to celbrate Christmas, Xmas, Qwanzza, Hanukkah, Teddy the Wonder Lizard Day. I really don't care. Now if they get in my grill, which has happened (What do you mean you don't celebrate Christmas!!!! What are you a f*cking commie!!!!!!!), then I get a bit testy. But, if they want to celebrate their belief, cool. If the do it in the privacy of their own digs, that is even cooler. If the put it out in public and its not in your face, I am OK with that. They are out in public "preaching" about it. Different story. I then feel compelled to argue about it. If for no other reason then to have a public voice of dissent in a public forum.

As for the whole "Merry Christmas" vs "Happy Holiday" greeting thing. I just tell people "A very happy winter solstice holiday of your choice." That seems to cover just about everything.

Although every once in a while I will use the following response to "Merry Christmas". "Xmas...Xmas...Ohh!!!...You mean that pagen holiday that was co-opted by the various christian sects since they didn't actually know the actual date of birth of their supposed savior." OR my personal favorite "Merry Christmas? Not if you were Joseph. I mean think about it, what the hell is so merry about having to raise a kid because your wife got pregenet, and it wasn't you. And she was a still a virgin. All that money and hassle to raise a kid, and you didn't even get laid in the process. Talk about a getting a raw deal. I don't see what Joseph had to be so merry about. Unless Mary sucked c*ck really good."

A happy winter solstice holiday to all.
__________________
"The existence of life is a highly overrated phenomenon."
-- Dr Manhattan

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:03 PM   #10
04E46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 250
My Ride: 04 M3
I forgot that USA was not a "freedom of religion" country.

I always forget about it. Even if Christmas is a Christian holiday who cares. Im not a christian and I celebrate it. Its fun and happy time.

I am american indian and people celebrate thanksgiving. That doesnt offend me .

I just get jokes from my friends asking me if they can trade me some marbles and beads for my car.

People are so up tight in the states.
__________________
2004 Titanium M3 6 Speed.
04E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:09 PM   #11
benzfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 399
My Ride: my ride
It is true. Christmas was put in December to coincide with the Pagean holiday in hopes that they will convert. They were trying to get the word out so they put it on the same day. This is true.

But I still think that it is not as religious as it once was. I hate christmas now to tell you the truth. I get pissed by all the shopping and whatnot. It's annoying and a hassle. But I have friends that are not christians and they celebrate christmas.
__________________
Life, the only thing worth dying for.
benzfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:10 PM   #12
guest1008
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 2,048
My Ride: 08 Lexus ES350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04E46
I forgot that USA was not a "freedom of religion" country.

I always forget about it. Even if Christmas is a Christian holiday who cares. Im not a christian and I celebrate it. Its fun and happy time.

I am american indian and people celebrate thanksgiving. That doesnt offend me .

I just get jokes from my friends asking me if they can trade me some marbles and beads for my car.

People are so up tight in the states.
Holy cow! A sense of humor. I thought that was extinct in America.

And what's wrong with commercial whoring? Greed is what drives this economy and helped make it great. Besides, I like X-mas presents.
guest1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:21 PM   #13
04E46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 250
My Ride: 04 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by codex57
Holy cow! A sense of humor. I thought that was extinct in America.

And what's wrong with commercial whoring? Greed is what drives this economy and helped make it great. Besides, I like X-mas presents.
America is one of the few countries where you can be poor and made feel bad about it, then work your butt off to get rich and still be made to feel bad about it.

So many people want to be in charge of their destiny yet want someone else to be in charge of it and the second they fail its someone elses fault.

Sorry for the rant.
__________________
2004 Titanium M3 6 Speed.
04E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #14
330iPilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 577
My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04E46 View Post
America is one of the few countries where you can be poor and made feel bad about it, then work your butt off to get rich and still be made to feel bad about it.

So many people want to be in charge of their destiny yet want someone else to be in charge of it and the second they fail its someone elses fault.

Sorry for the rant.
Boy if you didn't hit the nail on the head!
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:39 PM   #15
Malachi
Registered User
 
Malachi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Eugene, OR/California
Posts: 1,010
My Ride: Synth. testosterone
I'm obviously not religious, but I still celebrate christmas. It's just a nice time of year. School is out and you're with family. But I have noticed recently that commercials are suddenly becoming more politically correct. Even ESPN is getting in on the act of morphing the three major winter solstice religious hollidays into one word. I think Stuart Scott called it, 'kwachristmaka'.

Happy kwachristmaka.
__________________


**NO POLITICAL CIGS** -MODERATOR
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:30 AM   #16
russ330
Mod Squad
 
russ330's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Mississippi's Gulf Coast
Posts: 15,802
My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
I love Christmas.
__________________
russ330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:40 AM   #17
bmwti
yuppie racing
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,959
My Ride: 2008 335i coupe
as im interested in seeing some newer opinions.
__________________
bmwti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #18
328iBMW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cinci
Posts: 713
My Ride: C320
Sometimes I don't think that Jesus was born from a virgin, ya know what I mean?



But I like getting out of work and seeing family.
__________________
What makes you come alive?.........Go do it.
328iBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:28 AM   #19
ghorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 400
My Ride: 330ci
Why is this thread in the political forum
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 11:47 AM   #20
330iPilot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 577
My Ride: Titanium Silver 330i
Because it is generally divided into a left right issue.
330iPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use