E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2005, 11:19 PM   #1
gbn

My Ride: 2002 325i
Inexpensive Brake Upgrades

I have a '02 325i with sport package. I have Axxis Metal Master pads and need new rotors. I can't afford a big brake kit but would like to have a little more stopping power. The OEM rotors were ok. I've done a little research into slotted, cross drilled (staying away from them), frozen and combinations. Anybody have any "real" test data with stopping distances? If not do the frozen rotors really last 2 to 3 times as long?

Thanks.
gbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:06 PM   #2
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Metal braided brake lines will help alot with feel but will not shorten your distances noticeably if at all.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 12:25 PM   #3
BDB325xi

My Ride: 2002 325xi
If you go to 17" or 18" wheels The rotors & calipers from a 330 E46 should fit. You'll need the mounting hardware also. A possilble source would be from someone how installed a big brake kit.
BDB325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:40 PM   #4
gbn

I already have steel brake lines and the sport package (17" wheels). Has anyone done the 330i brake upgrade? How much better is it really? Should I save my $ for a big brake kit instead? Also, how effective are the slotted rotors anyway, any experiences out there folks?
Old 07-05-2005, 08:27 PM   #5
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Nothing much will give you shorter stopping distances. The main thing youll get from ugraded calipers and rotors(330 or BBK) is less fading from repeated hard stops.

Yes people have done 325-->330 upgrades. I beleive changing some of the suspension is also necessary.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 02:07 AM   #6
Nico3k
The R1 makes it fun

My Ride: Yamaha R1 + 325i
I believe UUC came out with an OE brake upgrade.
Check it out http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/rotors
Old 09-17-2005, 04:45 PM   #7
DZeckhausen

My Ride: 2001 540i 6-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbn
I have a '02 325i with sport package. I have Axxis Metal Master pads and need new rotors. I can't afford a big brake kit but would like to have a little more stopping power. The OEM rotors were ok. I've done a little research into slotted, cross drilled (staying away from them), frozen and combinations.
What do you plan to do with this car? Do you autocross it? Take it to high speed driving events? Or is this just a daily driver? How important is brake dust?

What did you not like about the stock brakes and Metal Master pads? Did you ever fade them? What does "stoppping power" mean to you? What kind of tires (make & model) do you have?
Quote:
Anybody have any "real" test data with stopping distances? If not do the frozen rotors really last 2 to 3 times as long?
The claims made by companies that cryo-temper rotors are completely false. They do not last 3 times longer, nor do they operate at lower temperatures. What you will never see from this industry is a double-blind test that uses the scientific method to demonstrate the benefits of frozen rotors. Instead, you'll hear wild claims from race drivers who are getting their rotors free and will say anything to keep the free stuff coming. If you have some money to blow, you could always purchase a complete set of rotors, have one front and one rear rotor cryo-tempered and have someone install them, but not tell you which was which. Have them seal this information in an envelope. If you go to the track or autocross, you could use a pyrometer to see if one side or the other was consistantly cooler than the other. And after a few thousand miles, you could use a micrometer to see if one side was wearing two or three times faster than the other. Finally, you could open the envelope to see if the results corresponded to the vendors' claims. I'm willing to bet they won't.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:38 PM   #8
gbn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZeckhausen
What do you plan to do with this car? Do you autocross it? Take it to high speed driving events? Or is this just a daily driver? How important is brake dust?
I autocross, but it's also a daily driver. Brake dust is not too important to me, but I have to admit that the Metal Masters have a lot lest dust, which I kinda like (a bonus?). Not into high speed or track stuff yet (insurance!).

Quote:
What did you not like about the stock brakes and Metal Master pads? Did you ever fade them? What does "stoppping power" mean to you? What kind of tires (make & model) do you have?The claims made by companies that cryo-temper rotors are completely false. They do not last 3 times longer, nor do they operate at lower temperatures. What you will never see from this industry is a double-blind test that uses the scientific method to demonstrate the benefits of frozen rotors. Instead, you'll hear wild claims from race drivers who are getting their rotors free and will say anything to keep the free stuff coming. If you have some money to blow, you could always purchase a complete set of rotors, have one front and one rear rotor cryo-tempered and have someone install them, but not tell you which was which. Have them seal this information in an envelope. If you go to the track or autocross, you could use a pyrometer to see if one side or the other was consistantly cooler than the other. And after a few thousand miles, you could use a micrometer to see if one side was wearing two or three times faster than the other. Finally, you could open the envelope to see if the results corresponded to the vendors' claims. I'm willing to bet they won't.
I've already bought the plain cryo rotors (no slotting or drilling). So I'll just have to make my own opinion about rotor life. If I don't see anything significant longevity then it's back to OEM, maybe slotted, next time. I did notice that during some highway driving the OEM pads would fade during hard braking above 60 mph or so. The Metal Masters don't seem to fade until much higher speeds (well over 80 mph), but they seem to have less bite during lower speeds when cold. So, I'm thinking that they are not the best choice for an autocross pad. For next time what pads would you recommend for a daily driver that you autocross? You seem to be a dealer of some sort. I currently have Kumho Ecsta MX on my 2002 325i with sport package. I wonder if someone could convince TireRack to do some brake testing? They test tires don't they...
Old 09-20-2005, 04:28 PM   #9
DZeckhausen

My Ride: 2001 540i 6-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbn
I autocross, but it's also a daily driver. Brake dust is not too important to me, ...{stuff deleted}...

For next time what pads would you recommend for a daily driver that you autocross?
That's pretty easy. The Axxis Ultimate will give you better cold bite and much greater resistance to fade, as well as excellent pedal feel. More dust than D+ and XBG (formerly Metal Master) but less dust than stock. Be sure to bed them in properly per: http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

If they didn't make so much darned noise and produce so much dust, I would suggest the Hawk HP Plus. They really do have excellent bite. But I don't consider them livable for daily driving in a car that might end up in valet parking outside a fancy restaurant or in front of the country club, dropping off folks to a black tie ball.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:50 PM   #10
jmsanders78

My Ride: 328i, Z4
Quote:
But I don't consider them livable for daily driving in a car that might end up in valet parking...
Funny you should mention that. I have HP+ on my car and I can tolerate the screeching, it's the howling that I hate. Lately the rears have been howling LOUDLY. People in other cars think that they're under attack. So last week when I had to have my car valet parked, I felt obligated to inform the valet that the car would stop wonderfully and that the noise was no cause for concern.
jmsanders78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 12:22 PM   #11
tuckersmg

My Ride: 2005 m3
pads

Has anyone tried the Ferroda 2500's? I just did my first track event at Watkins Glen and the only issue I had was brake fade with the stock pads.
tuckersmg is offline   Reply With Quote