E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements

Sponsor Press Releases & New Product Announcements
Get the latest news and announcements from the site sponsors! To ask a question please use the 'Ask a Sponsor' forum.
Click here to view all the site sponsors and see what they are offering!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2005, 12:08 AM   #1
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW
 
Jlevi SW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: 2942 Scott Blvd, Santa Clara CA
Posts: 12,400
My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
Predator Chromium vs. Titanium Edition: Why we chose to only sell one

I am often asked "Why did you guys switch from Titanium Edition to Predator Chromium? Where the heck did Predator Chromium come from?"

Well, (and I'm sure other people in the business will be unhappy about this) I'm going to speak my mind and tell you all my somewhat professional opinion.

Predator Chromium touts the following features over Titanium Edition
-Less ring failures
-Better aesthetics with thinner rings and nicer notches... which leads me to...
-Better light dispersion... no "dead spots"
-Better color - no 8000K ugliness, just pure 6000K color
-**LESS BULKY**... therefore...
-MUCH EASIER to install... as well as...
-No chance of breaking with autoleveling - they are thinner
-Better CLIPS! Pressure fit, only one notch necessary... easier to put on...
-Lighter - less chance of rocking around and breaking
-**BETTER LIGHT DISPERSION!** Because of the TRUE chromed backing
-Better wiring, cleaner, more predictable
-Rings can be removed and replaced - no need for a whole new ring if something goes wrong
-Clips can be removed - so we stock one kit for E36, E38, E39, etc etc... very handy


My problems with Titanium Edition are as follows:
-**Light dispersion is TERRIBLE**
-**Rings are bulky**
-Hard to install because of bulkiness
-Heavy, they swing around
-The "titanium" backing is just spraypainted silver... and it peels off...
-The rings are glued to the back. It's messy. And if one breaks, it doesn't come off. And then you can't swap colors
-The clips are crap. Sorry, but they are. Too bulky, again.


And there you have it. And now for the pics...

Chromium looks great, huh?





But look at these attachments of Titanium... don't look too full, do they?

And look at the NICE backings on the chromium?

Anyways, I don't mean to slanderize, but I had to speak my mind. I'm tired of people asking why I don't carry the "nice" demon eyes...

Thanks guys
JL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4170002.jpg
Views:	3851
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	135434   Click image for larger version

Name:	chromium 1.jpg
Views:	3854
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	135435   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Rings CLOSE.jpg
Views:	3614
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	135436  
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:10 AM   #2
Cobra
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York\City
Posts: 3,159
My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
umnitza told before that the predator is brighter, i was gonna go with predator anyway. this just makes me feel better about my choice
__________________
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:12 AM   #3
dasblack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Swamp
Posts: 1,688
My Ride: '01 330ci
Nice post, but what is wrong w/ the 8000k chromiums compared to 6000k?
dasblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:17 AM   #4
J.DoubleU.O.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 1,007
My Ride: ...
Are the predator chromiums from a manufacturer in San Marcos, CA, or is that a different manufacturer? Or do you know? Just wondering.
J.DoubleU.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:21 AM   #5
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW
 
Jlevi SW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: 2942 Scott Blvd, Santa Clara CA
Posts: 12,400
My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
Chromium is made overseas, and in my opinion, this makes them BETTER (yes, better).

Titanium Edition is made in San Marcos. I know the people who make them, so I won't say too much, but I am NOT impressed with the quality anymore...
JL
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:27 AM   #6
m3on20z
Sh!t Happens.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 4,809
My Ride: W203 dumped on 20's
Send a message via AIM to m3on20z
Are the Chromium rings for the X5 (2002) re-shaped? So the highbeam ring actually goes around the whole circle, instead of stopping 3/4 of the way down?

And sorry to go offtopic, but I went on your site, and was trying to find replacement HID 9006 bulbs, but couldn't find them? Thanks bro.
m3on20z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:37 PM   #7
m3on20z
Sh!t Happens.
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 4,809
My Ride: W203 dumped on 20's
Send a message via AIM to m3on20z
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3on20z
Are the Chromium rings for the X5 (2002) re-shaped? So the highbeam ring actually goes around the whole circle, instead of stopping 3/4 of the way down?

And sorry to go offtopic, but I went on your site, and was trying to find replacement HID 9006 bulbs, but couldn't find them? Thanks bro.
?
m3on20z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 02:03 AM   #8
J.DoubleU.O.
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 1,007
My Ride: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlevi
Chromium is made overseas, and in my opinion, this makes them BETTER (yes, better).

Titanium Edition is made in San Marcos. I know the people who make them, so I won't say too much, but I am NOT impressed with the quality anymore...
JL
Thanks for the infor, JLevi. That sucks, though, because San Marcos is only about 10 minutes East on the 78, and I wouldn't have minded dropping by there. Oh well....
J.DoubleU.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 03:02 AM   #9
BanMdrWew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 86
My Ride: 330ci(r.i.p) MB E500
very helpful post.
BanMdrWew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:23 AM   #10
skylor318
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Carlisle, Pa
Posts: 585
My Ride: 135i
Send a message via AIM to skylor318
I like my titaniums but I agree that they do have some dead spots at certain angles that is only noticeable during the day. I haven't noticed any of the other problems mentioned though. My question is why not use the titanium rings with a chrome backing? I know if that was available it would have been my first choice.
skylor318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:27 AM   #11
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW
 
Jlevi SW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: 2942 Scott Blvd, Santa Clara CA
Posts: 12,400
My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
The problem with the Titanium Edition is not the backing, like we thought.
It's the wierd shape of the notches in the front. They are SUPPOSED to reduce glare, but they actually just cut off the light and therefore make the rings difficult to see from certain angles.
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:35 AM   #12
skylor318
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Carlisle, Pa
Posts: 585
My Ride: 135i
Send a message via AIM to skylor318
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlevi
The problem with the Titanium Edition is not the backing, like we thought.
It's the wierd shape of the notches in the front. They are SUPPOSED to reduce glare, but they actually just cut off the light and therefore make the rings difficult to see from certain angles.
Okay, I always thought it was the backing as well. Thanks for the clarification.
skylor318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:03 PM   #13
minsoox1983
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 219
My Ride: ///
if you think "Light dispersion is TERRIBLE" in the titanium, then you should do something for the customers who bought that item from you.

this makes me feel bad b/c when i purchased titanium from you at the full price you said this is the best in market ,, cannot be compared,, etc etc,, well,, i don't know,,

i thought you stopped to sell them because you had a problem with the supplier? i don't mean to be offended,,and i agree your service is very friendly.. but,, after i read this thread,,,, i got disappointed
__________________
_____________________________________\\\\\\\


__________\\\\\\\

Last edited by minsoox1983; 07-18-2005 at 08:08 PM.
minsoox1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 08:17 PM   #14
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW
 
Edison@JleviSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 28,337
My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by minsoox1983
if you think "Light dispersion is TERRIBLE" in the titanium, then you should do something for the customers who bought that item from you.

this makes me feel bad b/c when i purchased titanium from you at the full price you said this is the best in market ,, cannot be compared,, etc etc,, well,, i don't know,,

i thought you stopped to sell them because you had a problem with the supplier? i don't mean to be offended,,and i agree your service is very friendly.. but,, after i read this thread,,,, i got disappointed
Like I said above, at the time you purchased the titaniums were the best on the market. I could easily say that BMW is unfair when they sold me my car because they said it was the best performance sedan under 35 grand, when today they say the same thing about the E90. The conflict here is timing, the DDE market is constantly changing and in so you run into upgrading issues.

On the same note, if you had read his original post, Jlevi SW currently has a promotion in the works to upgrade old halos.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:42 AM   #15
spyder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,163
My Ride: S54 Sedan, IB 328i
Send a message via AIM to spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWERKEN
Like I said above, at the time you purchased the titaniums were the best on the market. I could easily say that BMW is unfair when they sold me my car because they said it was the best performance sedan under 35 grand, when today they say the same thing about the E90. The conflict here is timing, the DDE market is constantly changing and in so you run into upgrading issues.

On the same note, if you had read his original post, Jlevi SW currently has a promotion in the works to upgrade old halos.
Did you or did you not stop selling the titaniums because the supplier didn't allow you to sell any of their products such as xtec anymore because of some problem they had with you and Umnitza? Not trying to bash on you or anything, but i think the titaniums are great and know a lot of people who thinks the same. To me these predators sort of came out of the blue and doesnt look that good, leaving me and other people confused. I don't think its right for you to bash the titaniums just because you can't or because you choose not to sell them. Thier are other vendors who still sell the titaniums and think they are great. Again, not bashing on you. You are a cool guy Jlevi, I just wanted to clearify this and give my opinion.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #16
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW
 
Edison@JleviSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 28,337
My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder
Did you or did you not stop selling the titaniums because the supplier didn't allow you to sell any of their products such as xtec anymore because of some problem they had with you and Umnitza? Not trying to bash on you or anything, but i think the titaniums are great and know a lot of people who thinks the same. To me these predators sort of came out of the blue and doesnt look that good, leaving me and other people confused. I don't think its right for you to bash the titaniums just because you can't or because you choose not to sell them. Thier are other vendors who still sell the titaniums and think they are great. Again, not bashing on you. You are a cool guy Jlevi, I just wanted to clearify this and give my opinion.
Glad you gave your opinion! That's what this forum is all about.

However we are not bashing the titaniums, heck we used to sell them. We are simply showing that our newest product, Predator Chromiums, are an improvement on that technology. We believe they are the highest quality kit on the market it and sell it as so
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:35 PM   #17
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW
 
Jlevi SW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: 2942 Scott Blvd, Santa Clara CA
Posts: 12,400
My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
Not only that, but at the time this thread came out people were constantly sending emails asking "why don't you sell the 'nice' demon eyes?" "Aren't titanium better? Why do you sell knockoffs" - this thread is a reply and an explanation.

To the best of my knowledge, our company was still allowed to purchase titanium DDE up until we started selling predator. Apexcone had spoken with me and told me to switch over, that their product was superior. Clearly I chose not to, and I am very glad I did. However, you are correct; I am sure if I attempted to go direct and purchase a set of titaniums, i would encounter some opposition. Nonetheless we could have them if we wanted them - there are some companies, as you guys can imagine, who will not turn away business. Not that we want them
JL
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 01:38 PM   #18
umnitza
8774866489
 
umnitza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 16,471
My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWERKEN
Glad you gave your opinion! That's what this forum is all about.

However we are not bashing the titaniums, heck we used to sell them. We are simply showing that our newest product, Predator Chromiums, are an improvement on that technology. We believe they are the highest quality kit on the market it and sell it as so
I disagree, if you don't mean to bash, then why say they "don't look as good and are out of the blue".

We believe in our product, nothing more needs to be said.
umnitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:12 PM   #19
niL
is on da floor
 
niL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 2,696
My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via AIM to niL
i complained about those problems on the titanium edition, and all the vendors supported me and told me it was supposed to look like that? then a fix came out for it, which improved it. but now your bashing your old product which was the best at once your making me fell bad inside for buying the titanium edition now.
__________________

2001 330i rebuilt from the salvage yard
From start to finish...
niL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:38 PM   #20
Jlevi SW
1.888.JLEVISW
 
Jlevi SW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: 2942 Scott Blvd, Santa Clara CA
Posts: 12,400
My Ride: Vorsteiner 335i
Send a message via AIM to Jlevi SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by niL
i complained about those problems on the titanium edition, and all the vendors supported me and told me it was supposed to look like that? then a fix came out for it, which improved it. but now your bashing your old product which was the best at once your making me fell bad inside for buying the titanium edition now.
Your input helped create the second version. Unfortunately, I was NOT satisfied with the fix, which is why we gave up hope on Titanium Edition. Like I said, they gave a 10-20% fix when a 70% overhaul was necessary. We are not saying we were in the right giving the product a second chance, but just trying to show that we have made a concious effort to offer top-quality products, despite past mistakes.

JL
Jlevi SW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use