E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2005, 06:17 PM   #1
panzr15

My Ride: White '04 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to panzr15
Can I do a staggered set up?

Is it possible to do a staggered set up on an xi with out killing the awd? What is the widest that i could go? My car is stock suspension height (for now at least). I'm thinking something in 18" range cause I saw a coupe yesterday at work that had a cracked rear shock mount from 19" wheels and an H&R lowering kit, so I'm a little nervous about 19" unless this is really rare. Oh and sorry if this is a repost.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-14-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
03M3

My Ride: 06 VW GLi
Send a message via AIM to 03M3
usually staggered setups are a no-no on all-wheel drive cars...i am no pro but this is what i have gathered. If you really want a staggered look, you can get staggered lips from a company like DPE, i-forged, HRE. And mainly its the tires that shouldnt be staggered, not the rims. So say if you bought some 18x8.5 front and 18x9 or even 9.5 you could potentially run 235's or even 245's on all four wheels. Just some things to think about
03M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:57 AM   #3
panzr15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03M3
usually staggered setups are a no-no on all-wheel drive cars...i am no pro but this is what i have gathered. If you really want a staggered look, you can get staggered lips from a company like DPE, i-forged, HRE. And mainly its the tires that shouldnt be staggered, not the rims. So say if you bought some 18x8.5 front and 18x9 or even 9.5 you could potentially run 235's or even 245's on all four wheels. Just some things to think about
Why shouldnt the tires be staggered? How does it change things?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:39 PM   #4
03M3

My Ride: 06 VW GLi
Send a message via AIM to 03M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzr15
Why shouldnt the tires be staggered? How does it change things?
To be quite honest i am not really sure. But I am a big audi fan, and surf audiworld as well as audizine. As you probably know most audis are all wheel drive. I have just always heard that it was best to have the same size rubber all the way around. Many people on audizine run different width rims with the same tires. I would imagine that having an all-wheel drive car, with the power distributed to all wheels, that had different rubber at the wheels would understeer. But again i am no pro. Then again the porsche turbo and gt2 are all wheel drive cars with staggered set-ups. But i believe their systems are a different balance (40 percent up front, 60 in the back), where as your 330 is probably 50/50. Again you probably want to talk to gary@tirerack, who is a pro, i am just telling you what i have learned
03M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:20 PM   #5
panzr15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03M3
To be quite honest i am not really sure. But I am a big audi fan, and surf audiworld as well as audizine. As you probably know most audis are all wheel drive. I have just always heard that it was best to have the same size rubber all the way around. Many people on audizine run different width rims with the same tires. I would imagine that having an all-wheel drive car, with the power distributed to all wheels, that had different rubber at the wheels would understeer. But again i am no pro. Then again the porsche turbo and gt2 are all wheel drive cars with staggered set-ups. But i believe their systems are a different balance (40 percent up front, 60 in the back), where as your 330 is probably 50/50. Again you probably want to talk to gary@tirerack, who is a pro, i am just telling you what i have learned
The xi's are something like 65-35 i believe, but ill ask gary.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:26 PM   #6
rayxi

My Ride: 2001 330xi
The problem is it's difficult getting front and rear tires that have the exact same outside diameter when the widths are different. With AWD your front and rear axles should turn at the same rate (on average) because they are mechanically connected by the AWD drive train. If you have different diameter tires as a result of a staggered setup the front and rear axles will want to turn at different rates.

Check out this thread for more info:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=272659
rayxi is offline   Reply With Quote