E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2005, 12:47 PM   #1
sanspotash

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330ci ZHP
Question Recommendations on snows...

Some of you, like myself, have to run snows coming up here in the next couple of months. What are you recommending for wheels and from whom? I made an interesting package on tirerack.com, but the package is over $1600. Any better ideas?
sanspotash is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-17-2005, 12:52 PM   #2
jsedlak

My Ride: 2002 325i
Send a message via AIM to jsedlak Send a message via MSN to jsedlak
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspotash
Some of you, like myself, have to run snows coming up here in the next couple of months. What are you recommending for wheels and from whom? I made an interesting package on tirerack.com, but the package is over $1600. Any better ideas?
I was wondering if snows are an almost necessary thing. I live in Troy and I am a bit afraid of the coming winter.
jsedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 12:52 PM   #3
lgrogan116
Under Worked and Over Paid

My Ride: 328i
Bridgestone Blizzak LM22... hands down the best I've ever had.

"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful."
- Samuel Johnson
lgrogan116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #4
sanspotash

I should have been more specific...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgrogan116
Bridgestone Blizzak LM22... hands down the best I've ever had.
I am actually more interested in advice on wheels... I am considering 18" ASA's from the Tire Rack at $229 each but would like to find something as cool that is less money... they're snows afterall.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:27 AM   #5
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspotash
I am actually more interested in advice on wheels... I am considering 18" ASA's from the Tire Rack at $229 each but would like to find something as cool that is less money... they're snows afterall.
The 18 wheels are the $$ problem. Don't you have potholes in TC? Cheaper 17" wheels would be better for snows. I've got Borbet 17x8 with Dunlop 225-45 winter sports from Tirerack. Work great but I do have 2 bent from potholes. 16" are available also.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005, 09:38 AM   #6
sanspotash

You're correct, a function of my vanity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummer
The 18 wheels are the $$ problem. Don't you have potholes in TC? Cheaper 17" wheels would be better for snows. I've got Borbet 17x8 with Dunlop 225-45 winter sports from Tirerack. Work great but I do have 2 bent from potholes. 16" are available also.
18's are the $$ problem. The car looks so good with 18's my irrational side is hardpressed to go smaller. You're right, though, 16/17's make a lot more sense. I suppose to that end, steel wheels make the most sense $$$ wise.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:48 AM   #7
SONNY..
Team Eurowerkz

My Ride: Blacked out 328CI
blizzacks on ebay last winter $450

SPONSORED BY: ICSPerformance | EAC | Eurospeed | WHEELEXPERTS
SONNY.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 12:54 PM   #8
Wagon Man
Ultimate Wagon

My Ride: 00 iT (SOLD)
Buy some 17" take-off (if you can;t find 17" steelie").. $400~$500 range depands on condition.

Blizzark / Gislaved snow tires ... ~$500 (less if on sale, sho[p here had a buy 3 get 4 on Gisvaled last year .. bought a set for my wife.)

Or set of used wheel/tires.

~$1k should get you going this winter.

BTW, I may sell my winter shoes this year .. go back to 16" steelie. 17" Style 41 (take-off from Z3 on Blizzak). PM me if you;re interested.
Wagon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #9
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Look for someone on the board looking to sell their slightly curbed BMW style type wheels, and through some Blizzaks on them. I did that at the beginning of summer for about a grand total.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:01 PM   #10
nukis

My Ride: E88
if you're buying wheels specifically for winter try to get something as narrow as you can. if the wheel is wider its like a snowshoe and you'll float on top because the weight is distributed more. throw an old battery in the trunk above each wheel too and you're set
Old 09-17-2005, 03:12 PM   #11
lgrogan116
Under Worked and Over Paid

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukis
if you're buying wheels specifically for winter try to get something as narrow as you can. if the wheel is wider its like a snowshoe and you'll float on top because the weight is distributed more. throw an old battery in the trunk above each wheel too and you're set

Good point. I put 205/50/17 on mine, (which I think is the narrowest you can go on stock rims) and I've never had a problem.

"Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful."
- Samuel Johnson

Last edited by lgrogan116; 09-17-2005 at 03:25 PM.
lgrogan116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 03:19 PM   #12
TCoville

My Ride: 02 330i
do u only need to do a winter set of tires where it snows? i have read about winter tires and wasn't sure i am in southern california and was kinda confused :p
TCoville is offline   Reply With Quote