E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-24-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
Tony330i

My Ride: 330i
Question Clear bulbs vs. amber bulbs

I am investigating putting on OEM clears all around my 2005 330i sedan.

Bimmian.com has a set I've looked at. They're wanting $450 for 8 lenses (2 front, 2 side, 4 back).

They also have a selection of invisible bulbs to use with the clears. Anyone have experience with these bulbs called "Solaris Invisibulbs?" Some flash clear like xenon, some flash amber. I do want a set that looks invisible when not lit, but what is the consensus on clear vs. amber?

Any other vendors to recommend?

Thanks,
Tony
Tony330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
M3LTDOWN

My Ride: Range Rover on 22's
Send a message via AIM to M3LTDOWN Send a message via MSN to M3LTDOWN
Are the police pretty stiff in your area?

I personally like the xenon lit ones, but i think each state has its laws on bulbs and colors.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:47 PM   #3
Tony330i

My Ride: 330i
NC laws on bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by His ///M-inence
Are the police pretty stiff in your area?

I personally like the xenon lit ones, but i think each state has its laws on bulbs and colors.
I tried to find vehicle requirements on North Carolina's DMV website but was unsuccessful.
Tony330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 02:32 AM   #4
desi786

My Ride: 320i
in my province (alberta), its illegal to hav clears, but lots of ppl have them anyways. my cousin got pulled over and was like "my car is from germany, its built like thsi what am i suppose to do?" and the cop gave him a warning. usually cops dont care unless theyre a)pricks b)your acting like a jackass.
desi786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
BMWBoiDE

My Ride: 2010 328 M SportVert
I have the BMW clears and the yellow bulbs looked terrible in them, expecially the side markers. I bought the New Solaris Diamond bulbs and they are great. You can't see them in the lens but the glow a much brighter orange than the original Solaris. The light output is identical to when I had the orange factory bulbs in but now they are invisible when not lit! Highly recommend them.
BMWBoiDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:00 PM   #6
Dev
PSHOPWERKS

My Ride: Yellow Porsche GT2
I like the egg-yolk look and feel.

Current Hate Level: 10 | Previous Hate Level: 9
The hatin' level on the E46Fanatics.com board.
Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:55 PM   #7
Caveman
:|

My Ride: has wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony330i
I am investigating putting on OEM clears all around my 2005 330i sedan.

Bimmian.com has a set I've looked at. They're wanting $450 for 8 lenses (2 front, 2 side, 4 back).

They also have a selection of invisible bulbs to use with the clears. Anyone have experience with these bulbs called "Solaris Invisibulbs?" Some flash clear like xenon, some flash amber. I do want a set that looks invisible when not lit, but what is the consensus on clear vs. amber?

Any other vendors to recommend?

Thanks,
Tony
that's the same price I paid for (also from Bimmian), they fit perfectly, front, side markers, and rear.
Amber bulbs came with them, so I left them like that for now. When they die, I'll get the Solaris.
For now, the "egg yolk" thing, does not really bother me that much.
Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:20 PM   #8
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
So wheres the best place to buy clears??...Bimmian or Bekkers?
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:24 PM   #9
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
i bought my clears off ebay (front and rear) and haven't had any problems with them.. I had ebay sidemarkers but they would fog up and leak so i bought oem ones from the dealer... as for the lights, I went with the xenon colored leds from jlevi... they are perfectly clear in the housing, have instant on and off, and look sweet when lit up (surprizng it doesn't look ricey at all)

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:38 PM   #10
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Send a message via AIM to bgsmith
I originally bought front and side clears off ebay the clips on the side clears were cheap plastic and broke when I tried to put the on, replaced them with clears from Pacific BMW. The front corners from ebay eventually warped/melted because they were cheap pieces of crap that didnt have the aluminium reinforcements that OEM lights have. I eventually replaced my front clears and bought rear clears off Bimmian, perfect fit all around. By the way the warping of the cheap ebay clears broke one of my Solaris bulbs which really pissed me off, the bulbs cost more than the clear corners did. I also orderd Solaris bulbs from bimmian.

Just a heads up the rear bulbs for the clears from bimmian are the J shaped bulbs (the arrangement of the little nubs on the bulbs) not the bulbs that are straight across. The OEM bulbs that came with my car had the straight across alignment. If you go to the Bimmian website you will know what I am talking about.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:39 PM   #11
pcdsl

My Ride: 2002 330xi
the nubs are not really a problem. I bought Phillips Silvervision and they were straight fit, I just filed off one of them and they fit fine now.

BavAuto has OEM clears. Get Philips Silvervision, I think they are great bulbs. For the sidemarker ones, I just bought cheap silver ones.
pcdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:50 PM   #12
TravsM3

My Ride: 05' 545i, ZSP
bulbs = http://autolumination.com/bmw.htm
Old 10-30-2005, 07:12 AM   #13
frw73

My Ride: '04M3/SMG/SGM/IR
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempknowsis
Nice site. Got a few questions. It's time to replace my front turn signals. I had originally tried the Bimmian Solaris bulbs (the older version, not DiamondCoat). While the egg yolk delete was great, light output was not. Also, they have lasted less than one year. Now I'm looking for an LED alternative.

My bulbs have the offset pin design. I have looked at the JLevi site and the site above to get LED kits from. Only problem is, JLevi site has 1156/7507 lumped together. My understanding is that 1156 is not the same as 7507. From the Sylvania site and the site above it looks as if 7507 has the offset pins while 1156 has pins that are 180 degrees apart. Is there a way to fit 1156's into the hole for 7507? Can you just file one pin down on an 1156 and put it into a 7507 socket?
Old 10-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #14
pcdsl

My Ride: 2002 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by frw73
Nice site. Got a few questions. It's time to replace my front turn signals. I had originally tried the Bimmian Solaris bulbs (the older version, not DiamondCoat). While the egg yolk delete was great, light output was not. Also, they have lasted less than one year. Now I'm looking for an LED alternative.

My bulbs have the offset pin design. I have looked at the JLevi site and the site above to get LED kits from. Only problem is, JLevi site has 1156/7507 lumped together. My understanding is that 1156 is not the same as 7507. From the Sylvania site and the site above it looks as if 7507 has the offset pins while 1156 has pins that are 180 degrees apart. Is there a way to fit 1156's into the hole for 7507? Can you just file one pin down on an 1156 and put it into a 7507 socket?
I filed down a pin on the Philips Silvervision to fit it in my holder. It works fine.
pcdsl is offline   Reply With Quote