E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 04:51 PM   #1
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
IGNITION COIL RECALL: Information from dealer and BMWNA

I called up both my dealership and BMW of NA today about the ignition coil recall we've been hearing about. It is in fact a legitimate recall. The dealership said they've already had 4 people come in today to get it done. And they are in the process of trying to contact all the customers.

Then I called BMW of NA and they confirmed that my car was on the list of cars that needed to be serviced, and that it was the Bosch ignition coils that needed to be replaced. All E46s model years 2002 to 2005 potentially have this problem. I told the customer service guy that I didn't receive an email like some of the other drivers did, and he said they are still in the process of sending them out in batches, and they do not have the emails of every driver. So do NOT waste them and schedule an appointment with your dealership asap. Just because you haven't received an email doesn't mean you're not affected. Either BMW hasn't gotten around to contacting you, or your email is not listed within their system.

Potential problems include stalling, sputtering idle, cold-start issues, and according to the customer service guy, apparently fires. Although I highly doubt the last one.

My appointment is set for Thursday. I think everyone on here should try and schedule one asap as well.

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:57 PM   #2
Ted13B

My Ride: 07 Z4 Coupe
Talking

Just to clarify, it's the Bremi coils that are being replaced. If you have Bosch, you're all set. And no, fires are not an issue!
Ted13B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:59 PM   #3
xxcosmicxx
The OG Black Roof

My Ride: Long Gone
^^ That is correct... You must have misunderstood Ken...

Bremi coils are being replaced with Bosch coils..

Fire is NOT an issue, and this recall has been out for almost a year...
Old 10-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
kpeng
Banned User

I don't know, that's what the dealership told me. I guess the service advisor told me the wrong thing :-(.

-Ken
Old 10-25-2005, 05:02 PM   #5
xxcosmicxx
The OG Black Roof

My Ride: Long Gone
Take it from a parts guy...SA's get cunfused easily...
Old 10-25-2005, 05:03 PM   #6
kpeng
Banned User

lol. Yeah, you are right. The SA at the Gainesville dealer lost my friend Tyler's car.

-Ken
Old 11-30-2005, 06:03 PM   #7
ang

My Ride: 2004 325CiC convert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcosmicxx
^^ That is correct... You must have misunderstood Ken...

Bremi coils are being replaced with Bosch coils..

Fire is NOT an issue, and this recall has been out for almost a year...
I just called BMWUSA today, and they told me my car was on the recall as well, and that the recall has only been out for 2 weeks?? Set up appt. to have it replaced. My car has been making horrible squealing noises on cold start up days, and a ever so slight, loss of power on the first push of the peddel...could this be due to the coil? I have to leave it over night, so they can hear the sound at the start of the next morning..Oh, i drive an e46 2004 325Ci Convert..
ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 03:22 PM   #8
Devious1
Invalid User

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ang
My car has been making horrible squealing noises on cold start up days, and a ever so slight, loss of power on the first push of the peddel...could this be due to the coil?
i get a bad squeling as well when i first start up my car. please keep me updated when you find out what caused it.

thanks!
Old 12-02-2005, 03:27 PM   #9
hakjai

My Ride: 04' 330ci, 95' M3
I just got my recall notice in the mail. I wonder which coils i have in there now... i had them replaced under warranty when the car was new w/ less than 5k miles.
hakjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #10
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Yeah we're just left with the expensive Vanos problems

This thread got my hopes up. Yeah if you have the Bosch like my 2001 your left with Vanos problems unrelated to the coils:

problems include stalling, sputtering idle, cold-start issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted13B
Just to clarify, it's the Bremi coils that are being replaced. If you have Bosch, you're all set. And no, fires are not an issue!
KevinJ_2k1_325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:58 PM   #11
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
My 525i was just in to the dealer for a weird noise from the transmission turns out it was actually the drive shaft and it needs to be replaced. Anyway, on the paper of the jobs done it showed that the Ignition Coil had been replaced due to recall. I was not aware of the recall, and did not request it to be done, but they did it anway.

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:18 PM   #12
pixelated
Ich bin pleite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng
Potential problems include stalling, -Ken
I wonder if this is what happened to my car that they couldn't duplicate? What kind of stalling? When sitting idle at a light, then stalling? Or stalling while driving at highway speeds? Both of these scenarios apply to me.

The dealership was not able to duplicate the problem and could not find anything wrong with my car. What they did was update my software. But my car stalled again after it was out of warranty. That's 3x it's happened....

Guess I'll call the dealership and see if they have my car listed on this recall. Is there a recall # I should refer them too?

TIA!
Old 10-25-2005, 09:23 PM   #13
kpeng
Banned User

I don't know the recall number, but I think they would know what you were talking about. At least my dealership did.

-Ken
Old 11-30-2005, 06:15 PM   #14
faded67

My Ride: 2004 330CI
Quote:
I don't know the recall number, but I think they would know what you were talking about. At least my dealership did.

-Ken
Its known as "Campaign Number: 05E-A01"

BLACK BIMMER
faded67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 09:37 PM   #15
phamman

My Ride: Dinan3 02 325CI
If you want a better lock of the ignition coils, check out the DIY on spark plugs in the TECH section. Looks like he will need to replace his Bremis....
http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/pic...g&directory=44
phamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:26 PM   #16
Allen Yad

My Ride: Hooptie
I remember the 3rd Coil went bad on my 323i once. The car just felt like it lost all its power and would barely move. I would turn off/on the car it would be fine again.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:08 AM   #17
Caveman
:|

My Ride: has wheels
Quote:
I called up both my dealership and BMW of NA today about the ignition coil recall we've been hearing about. It is in fact a legitimate recall. The dealership said they've already had 4 people come in today to get it done. And they are in the process of trying to contact all the customers.

-Ken
Thanks Ken. I called the dealership and they told me mine is not part of the recall.
The guy said this recall came out only 3 days ago, how do i know it ?
I didn't tell him that I have sources (like KEN).....

But I told him, if I have to reveal my source, they have to kill him...
Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 11:25 AM   #18
ad3998

My Ride: 3 series
Hello:

I just had the very same issues everyone is describing here a few weeks ago (rough idle at the light, loss of power, sputtering). I took it in to an independent shop (GMS in Sunnyvale). The readout read "misfire". They replaced one coil with another BREMI coil!!! I wonder if I can get BMW NA to refund this particular service and have them replace all of the current coils...wishful thinking I suppose??

What do you guys think?

Thanks
ad3998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 12:25 PM   #19
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lot
Thanks Ken. I called the dealership and they told me mine is not part of the recall.
The guy said this recall came out only 3 days ago, how do i know it ?
I didn't tell him that I have sources (like KEN).....

But I told him, if I have to reveal my source, they have to kill him...
Haha. Yes, you would have to kidnap him, bring him to me, and then I will dispose of him.

-Ken
Old 10-28-2005, 05:03 PM   #20
Qshio3000

My Ride: 2003 330i
They did mine yesterday along with the new tranny. The SA told me when I dropped the car off early Tuesday. Although I've had issues with the dealer from time to time, they've always been on top of the tsb's.
Qshio3000 is offline   Reply With Quote