E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2006, 02:11 PM   #1
djsway

My Ride: 2004white 325ci baby
Over all HT equipment questions for the gurus..

I've lost track of what makes a good DVD player these days?
They're all have progressive scan but what makes the one better then the rest?

When buying a receiver 5.1 or higher, I know you're suppose to look at the distortion rate and anything below .09 is good right?
so far...
-edit- BMW front license plate!
-edit- E60 M5 engine transplant
djsway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
soheilm3
bored.

My Ride: definitly not an m3
Send a message via AIM to soheilm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsway
I've lost track of what makes a good DVD player these days?
They're all have progressive scan but what makes the one better then the rest?

When buying a receiver 5.1 or higher, I know you're suppose to look at the distortion rate and anything below .09 is good right?
Currently the "trend" for dvd players is "upconverting." there is a lot of talk about whether or not these really make a difference, but I personally believe they do. These upconverting players take your dvd's 480 signal and can boost it to hd 720p or 1080i resolution (this still isn't hd quality, as the original format is 480). Why is this "good?" The thing to remember is that when you feed the signal into the tv from a traditional player, the tv normally would handle the "upconverting." The argument is that these dvd players can do a "better" job than the tv and do less video conversions (the more digital to analog you have, the better chance the signal degrades). So for some, upconverting players do a great job, for others not even noticable.

I personally decided to bite the bullet and buy the Oppo dvd player (www.oppodigital.com and talked about a lot on the avsforums). Was the picture quality great? Yes. Was it because of the player, I would like to think so, but I don't remember how well the previous did anymore. I did get much faster menu changes then my old beat philips player, and overall am very happy with my purchase. One thing I wanted from dvd player was the ability to play divx, and oppo did it all well.

Another friend purchased the much talked about 80 buck upconverting toshiba from costco, and he loves it.

Hope that gives some insight
--soheil

Taken
Smart
Beautiful

(pick 2 of the three only)
soheilm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:11 PM   #3
blownE30M3

My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
Yeah the Oppo is a very good player for the money.

Personally I prefer Sony DVD players over anything else. They are a little pricy but produce a great picture.

This thread will be moot though very shortly with HD release. If you are shopping for a DVD player just buy something cheap for now and save your money for the extreme cost you'll be paying for an HD player.

Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 03:46 PM   #4
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsway

..given you have decent speakers, you have to listen for yourself. Some receivers sound neutral, some bright and some laid back...all depends on your taste.

i.e. Pioneer elite receivers are on the bright side, while Yamahas tend to be more neutral.

Ofcourse, mainstream (pioneer, denon, yamaha, HK) receivers in the $200-700 will all sound similar, but once you get above the $1k price point, each brand of receivers will have its own trademark sound.

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
TeKNiC3

My Ride: 330i.M3.aBox.996TT
Send a message via AIM to TeKNiC3
For DVD players, as mentioned already, up-converting is what's popular. In my case, I was looking at the Denon 2910 until I decided to not blow all that money on a dvd player that I'll only use for like a year and get the HD DVD play or a Blue Ray.

Magnolia already has a Toshiba HD DVD up on display, might want to take a look at that. We have no content to show on it yet though. But this kind of opens a can of worms as no one knows if HD DVD or Blue Ray will succeed yet.

So what I did was instead of spending too much money on a dvd play, I just picked up a Sony upconvert DVD for like 150 bucks and using it for now until I know whether HD dvd or Blue Ray will stay.

As far as Recievers go, depending on your budget, Denons and Yamahas are generally really good.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:41 AM   #6
vodkarocket

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKNiC3
For DVD players, as mentioned already, up-converting is what's popular. In my case, I was looking at the Denon 2910 until I decided to not blow all that money on a dvd player that I'll only use for like a year and get the HD DVD play or a Blue Ray.

Magnolia already has a Toshiba HD DVD up on display, might want to take a look at that. We have no content to show on it yet though. But this kind of opens a can of worms as no one knows if HD DVD or Blue Ray will succeed yet.

So what I did was instead of spending too much money on a dvd play, I just picked up a Sony upconvert DVD for like 150 bucks and using it for now until I know whether HD dvd or Blue Ray will stay.

As far as Recievers go, depending on your budget, Denons and Yamahas are generally really good.
You work at Magnolia/Best Buy? Hook it up with a discount! Everytime I go I drop a buddy's name and they give me about 10% off.
2006 M3 Vert - OEM hardtop, Work VS-XX, BBS CH w/ JDM red caps, JIC/CROSS Competition Coilovers 564F/787R/RSM/Camber plates, Eibach F/R sways, Axxis Deluxe +, Eisenhaus Meisterschaft TI 83mm, Supersprint V2 headers, Supersprint Sections 1&2, V-CSL full CF bootlid, bumper, diffuser & hood, Hardwired V1, Icelink+
vodkarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 11:07 AM   #7
JimboM3

My Ride: 99 e36 328i Cabrio
Send a message via AIM to JimboM3
Send em my way, I'll work out a better deal for you then 10%.
JimboM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:18 PM   #8
TeKNiC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkarocket
You work at Magnolia/Best Buy? Hook it up with a discount! Everytime I go I drop a buddy's name and they give me about 10% off.
No problem, just PM me if you ever need anything.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:24 AM   #9
blownE30M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKNiC3

Just take a look at the manufacturers signed up for each side. Its easy to see whos gonna win.

And I will second the Yamaha receiver on a budget. The RX-V1500 or 2500 are bang for buck very good receivers.

Old 02-27-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
TeKNiC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3
Just take a look at the manufacturers signed up for each side. Its easy to see whos gonna win.

And I will second the Yamaha receiver on a budget. The RX-V1500 or 2500 are bang for buck very good receivers.
I got the RX-V1500 a while a go and am pretty happy with it......But the Denon 4306.....
Old 02-28-2006, 04:17 PM   #11
M_Thrizzle

My Ride: '01 M3 Coupe
TekNiC3, which Magnolia do you work at?

RIP: 2004 G35 coupe 6MT | Diamond Graphite | OEM Brembo's | Z-tube, K&N, Plenum Spacer, Stillen Sway Bars
M_Thrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:04 PM   #12
TeKNiC3

It's actually a Best Buy/Magnolia store; Blossom Hill
Old 02-28-2006, 07:13 PM   #13
vodkarocket

Patrick, my buddy also suggested the RX-V1500, so I will scoop one of those up for sure. I still need to decide on speakers though...
2006 M3 Vert - OEM hardtop, Work VS-XX, BBS CH w/ JDM red caps, JIC/CROSS Competition Coilovers 564F/787R/RSM/Camber plates, Eibach F/R sways, Axxis Deluxe +, Eisenhaus Meisterschaft TI 83mm, Supersprint V2 headers, Supersprint Sections 1&2, V-CSL full CF bootlid, bumper, diffuser & hood, Hardwired V1, Icelink+
Old 03-01-2006, 05:07 AM   #14
JimboM3

My Ride: 99 e36 328i Cabrio
Send a message via AIM to JimboM3
i would recommend to go with this Receiver, Trust me you will love it for the next 5 yrs or PM me, i'm an authorized dealer for Yamaha and i can get u a good deal.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...ss=Nettune&p=i
JimboM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #15
M_Thrizzle

My Ride: '01 M3 Coupe
The new Denon AVR-2807 is hard to beat for features and price. (iPod connectivity, HDMI switching, 7.1 channels, 110w/ch, great sound, XM-ready, $1100 MSRP, auto room eq)

Also, the AVR-2106 has similar features except for HDMI switching and iPod link for several hundred dollars less.

BTW, I have a Denon 2803 paired to Paradigm Studio 20's.

RIP: 2004 G35 coupe 6MT | Diamond Graphite | OEM Brembo's | Z-tube, K&N, Plenum Spacer, Stillen Sway Bars
M_Thrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #16
vodkarocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Thrizzle
The new Denon AVR-2807 is hard to beat for features and price. (iPod connectivity, HDMI switching, 7.1 channels, 110w/ch, great sound, XM-ready, $1100 MSRP, auto room eq)

Also, the AVR-2106 has similar features except for HDMI switching and iPod link for several hundred dollars less.

BTW, I have a Denon 2803 paired to Paradigm Studio 20's.
Now this has me stumped. I want to be able to connect my Apple MacBook Pro through HDMI. If the TV I plan to get has HDMI, does that mean it's okay that my receiver may not?
Old 03-01-2006, 02:42 PM   #17
blownE30M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodkarocket
Now this has me stumped. I want to be able to connect my Apple MacBook Pro through HDMI. If the TV I plan to get has HDMI, does that mean it's okay that my receiver may not?
Yes. But no audio through speakers unless you have an interconnect from the audio out of the tv to the receiver.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:03 PM   #18
soheilm3
bored.

My Ride: definitly not an m3
Send a message via AIM to soheilm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3
Yes. But no audio through speakers unless you have an interconnect from the audio out of the tv to the receiver.
or audio out from the macbook, though if im correct the macbook does not have digital audio out, so you won't be getting the best quality using your headphone jack obviously (unlike the new mac mini woo woo).

Also note that if you plan on getting a Sony, your going to do a little extra work to get it working as sony's run a funky res, nothing hard, takes about 20 minutes to do, and very easy step by step diys out there. This isn't meant to dissuade you from buying one, just to inform you. I had to do with my xbr, after that works like a charm.

--soheil

Taken
Smart
Beautiful

(pick 2 of the three only)
soheilm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:30 PM   #19
blownE30M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by soheilm3
or audio out from the macbook, though if im correct the macbook does not have digital audio out, so you won't be getting the best quality using your headphone jack obviously (unlike the new mac mini woo woo).

Also note that if you plan on getting a Sony, your going to do a little extra work to get it working as sony's run a funky res, nothing hard, takes about 20 minutes to do, and very easy step by step diys out there. This isn't meant to dissuade you from buying one, just to inform you. I had to do with my xbr, after that works like a charm.

--soheil
They do have digital audio out. Hence the HDMI.