E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
oie77

My Ride: 04Imola Red 330i ZHP
Extended warranty on plasma- worth it?

I just picked up a new 42" Hitachi plaz and I also got the 2yr extended warranty from Circuit City ($460). This is my first plasma and Im just not sure that its worth the money for the warranty. If they came out to professionally calibrate it I could understand, but they dont do that. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help.
oie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:54 PM   #2
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
As far as I know, that doesn't even cover burn-in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
I would love to hear what Busa would have done
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
I'd like to know how Busa would handle this situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
What are we to do?
'busa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
oie77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55
As far as I know, that doesn't even cover burn-in.
You're right it doesnt cover burn-in and it is a one year warranty. I already bought it so Amex is not really an option.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:59 PM   #4
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
Purchases on AMEX automatically increase the product's warranty by 1 year.

Your hitachi should come with 1, and if you buy with AMEX, you'll have 2.

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #5
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

My Ride: 335i coupe
I bought an extended warranty for my Panasonic 50" plasma. It covers everything except burn in. And it's a replacement not repair warranty, so if the TV breaks, I get a new one, not mine repaired or someone else's refurbished junker. I paid $299 for 5 years coverage.
slow323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:17 PM   #6
'busa

Quote:
Originally Posted by James330I
Purchases on AMEX automatically increase the product's warranty by 1 year.

Your hitachi should come with 1, and if you buy with AMEX, you'll have 2.
I believe he used CC's no-interest for 33 or 36 months deal... That's what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow323ci
I bought an extended warranty for my Panasonic 50" plasma. It covers everything except burn in. And it's a replacement not repair warranty, so if the TV breaks, I get a new one, not mine repaired or someone else's refurbished junker. I paid $299 for 5 years coverage.
Where did you get this? I didn't really like CC's offer, and I couldn't find any info an extended warranty from Panasonic.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What are we to do?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:45 PM   #7
oie77

[QUOTE=hayabusa55]I believe he used CC's no-interest for 33 or 36 months deal... That's what I did.

Correct. It is a repair/replace plan. Basically, if they cant fix it they give you a new, comprable model.

Like I said I already got the TV so amex/costco are really not options. I was just wondering if these tvs (even though its the newest generation) are susceptible to certain defects/problems (aside from burn-in) If so, it makes sense to keep the extended warranty- if not then I'll probably return it...
Old 04-03-2006, 01:50 PM   #8
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by oie77
Like I said I already got the TV so amex/costco are really not options. I was just wondering if these tvs (even though its the newest generation) are susceptible to certain defects/problems (aside from burn-in) If so, it makes sense to keep the extended warranty- if not then I'll probably return it...
$460 for 2 years on a 42" plasma is a rip off.

Especially if it's 2 years "inclusive", i.e., runs concurrent with the factory warranty. That's how nearly all extended plans operate. If that's the case, then you are really only getting 1 extra year for $460.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:47 PM   #9
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55
Where did you get this? I didn't really like CC's offer, and I couldn't find any info an extended warranty from Panasonic.
It's a policy from a regional appliance store here called American TV. It's underwritten by Federal Warranty Service Corporation, a large provider of extended warranty plans.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
'busa

Quote:
It's a policy from a regional appliance store here called American TV. It's underwritten by Federal Warranty Service Corporation, a large provider of extended warranty plans.
Any idea where I could get a comparable plan myself? I bought a 42" Panasonic plasma less than two weeks ago. Just barely over 120 hours on it now. I think I broke it in pretty well, and I'm looking forward to calibrating it with the AVIA dvd. Very happy so far, but a nice extended warranty would put my mind at ease.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What are we to do?
Old 04-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #11
TeKNiC3

My Ride: 330i.M3.aBox.996TT
Send a message via AIM to TeKNiC3
Quote:
What?? No way.......well it could be true. But lets say that the volume button stopped working on your tv, they will REPLACE the TV and not REPAIR it?

Old 04-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #12
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKNiC3
What?? No way.......well it could be true. But lets say that the volume button stopped working on your tv, they will REPLACE the TV and not REPAIR it?

That's what it says. That's a big reason why I bought the coverage. There's really no such thing as a trivial repair, even fixing the volume button is a major undertaking. Funny you mention that specific thing, since that exact item sent a Sony I used to own to the graveyard.

Also, Panasonic does in-home service under their regular warranty, at least for 50" panels. Don't know about the smaller ones.

Last edited by slow323ci; 04-04-2006 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:45 PM   #13
TeKNiC3

My Ride: 330i.M3.aBox.996TT
Send a message via AIM to TeKNiC3
Quote:
That's what it says. That's a big reason why I bought the coverage. There's really no such thing as a trivial repair, even fixing the volume button is a major undertaking. Funny you mention that specific thing, since that exact item sent a Sony I used to own to the graveyard.

Also, Panasonic does in-home service under their regular warranty, at least for 50" panels. Don't know about the smaller ones.
First time I have ever heard of a replacement plan on plasma.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:54 PM   #14
'busa

Quote:

I have a 42" and it also has a 1-year In-home. Oh, you'll probably be happy to see this. You may have already:

Four Panasonics in the top 5! And most of those have been updated/improved for the 60U/600U series.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
What are we to do?
Old 04-03-2006, 01:25 PM   #15
deletedpenguin

My Ride: is gone!
Send a message via Skype™ to deletedpenguin
Costco. Return it when it breaks.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #16
FloridaE46

My Ride: *****
The Pioneer Elites are better plasmas than the Panasonics.. With that being said, Panasonics plasmas are amazing for the price, BUT, the Pioneers do look better, BUT, the price can be rediculous..
Best plasmas on the market are made by Pioneer, Fujistu, LG, Hitatchi.. i you have ever been to a show and seen their high end models you will not claim the panasonic is the best plasma on the market.
Panasonic makes the best plasma for "the consumer" and its a damn good plasma as well.

Im pretty sure consumer reports rates their products for best all around INCLUDING PRICE... that is why you do not see pioneer towards the top, and that is why you do not see Fujitsu on there at all.
The magazine is called Consumer Reports, not, Best of the Best

Last edited by FloridaE46; 04-05-2006 at 09:28 PM.
FloridaE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:46 PM   #17
slow323ci
E46-free since 10-13-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaE46
Im pretty sure consumer reports rates their products for best all around INCLUDING PRICE...
Price is not a factor in their ratings. If something performs especially well for the price they highlight it as a "best buy" but that doesn't change its overall ranking.

The Panasonic is at the top of their ratings because its HD performance is very good but its standard-def performance is superior (relative to other plasmas). Since 90% of TV programming is still standard def that's a pretty important factor - hate to say it but standard def on the Pioneer (and almost every other plasma) is shitty (and shamefull considering the price). The Panasonic is at least watchable.

Consumer plasmas from LG, Hitachi, Fujitsu look like ass. Sorry, they do. In November 2005 I looked at every 50" plasma on the market that cost less than $6500. Back and forth and back and forth until I thought I was going insane.

But everyone has their own opinions, some people have different preferences for color balance, white level, etc. so even a technically perfect picture may seem off. Use your own eyes and make your own decision, no substitute for that.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #18
FloridaE46

My Ride: *****
Quote:
Use your own eyes and make your own decision, no substitute for that.

i stare at these things all day long everyday i work

also if you guys want to compare plasmas, large lcds,or large projections.... dont go to best buy, i dunno about you guys but everyone ive gone into is playing a terrible loop that looks like poop... in Circuit City (other places as well) we have all our plasmas, big lcds, and big projections running off of a DirectTV HD reciever, ask and we will switch the channels to any HD or any non-HD.. during football season we have the NFL ticket and ask to see your favorite game in HD to compare ... we also have the MLB ticket, baseball games at night look AMAZING on these TV's

Last edited by FloridaE46; 04-06-2006 at 11:01 AM.
FloridaE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #19
flush01

My Ride: 3 3 0
you can get that warranty for free.... when i was buying my tv, you just tell the guy you will buy it right now if he throws in extended warranty for free, he will go to the manager and 80% will say sure... if not you go to a different store... I even got a free stand with free warranty for 5 years
flush01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:33 PM   #20
jstar41

My Ride: TopazE46|MontegoE92
i was about to buy the new Panasonic 50" 60U and i can get it at employee discount but when i asked for the extended warranty... for 2 years was an extra 459. and for 4 yrs was about 700. dollars.. it is ridiculous.. so I'm holding off til I find a better deal..