E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
scottn2retro

My Ride: 2001 S54 M Roadster
e46 Rear sub-frame tear issue

Hi All -

We knew racing the car we'd have to do this - not even an option - and sooner rather than later. We figured right . . .

What we'll be putting in the car: Turner Subframe Re-inforcement kit, some prepared class legal TMS solid rear subframe bushings, new RTABs, and from Rob and Dale at MPACT, some RTAB bushings and the new prepared class legal rear control arms.

So you want to do the rear subframe re-inforcement project? Well, the rear diff., exhaust and gas tank need to come out. I took the opportunity to hit the gas tank with a little Simple Green (after covering all the openings). Note: it is a good idea, if you know you'll be doing this, to try and have as little gas in the tank as possible.
(as usual, hi res can be found in my photo gallery)

Then we hauled the car to BMS, where they pulled the rear sub-frame out.

Result of inspection after 3 race events: One tear starting in the rear subfloor (passenger side), rear sub-frame bushings starting to tear, and RTABs shot. Below, you can see the tear which Herm had already welded and primed by the time I got there. It's the way line in light gray in the lower center part of the picture.

Herm of BMS working on reinforcing the rear sub-frame area

A part of the TMS reinforcement kit installed (sorry for being blurry)
Photo Gallery
scottn2retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:15 PM   #2
M_Thrizzle

My Ride: '01 M3 Coupe
I hear a lot of clunking from my car on clutch-in's and shifting. I need to prop up my car and check it out if it's torn. I hope not!!

RIP: 2004 G35 coupe 6MT | Diamond Graphite | OEM Brembo's | Z-tube, K&N, Plenum Spacer, Stillen Sway Bars
M_Thrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:33 PM   #3
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
How much does the rear subframe reinforcement by BMS cost including parts from Turner?
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:43 PM   #4
scottn2retro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAed330
How much does the rear subframe reinforcement by BMS cost including parts from Turner?

kit from Turner is like $150. But while all that stuff is down, may want to change RTABs and rear sub frame bushings.

I can get a quote from BMS on what they would charge for a complete customer drive up/drop off/drive away job.
Photo Gallery
Old 06-12-2006, 08:01 PM   #5
HighBoostin330

My Ride: 2002 Stock 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottn2retro
kit from Turner is like $150. But while all that stuff is down, may want to change RTABs and rear sub frame bushings.

I can get a quote from BMS on what they would charge for a complete customer drive up/drop off/drive away job.
Currently, I have the Powerflex RTABs and could not find a rear sub frame bushing that was not solid.

A quote would be nice!
HighBoostin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:26 AM   #6
scottn2retro

Quote:
Currently, I have the Powerflex RTABs and could not find a rear sub frame bushing that was not solid.

A quote would be nice!
Powerflex does not make a rear sub frame bushing? Turner has 2 versions, but they are both pretty much solid (one version has Delrin insert).
Photo Gallery
Old 06-13-2006, 06:26 PM   #7
scottn2retro

Quote:
Chris at BMS (714) 429-0257 said the work is $2500 plus the kit (about $150)
Photo Gallery
Old 06-13-2006, 06:30 PM   #8
scottn2retro

One good thing we did notice when the sub-frame was down was that the RTAB buckets on the e46 M3 are much better designed than on the e36 M3. They were going to reinforce them like they do on the e36 cars and realized they wouldn't need to. (Dang, I should have gotten a pic while the RTAB was out of there).
Photo Gallery
Old 06-14-2006, 12:51 AM   #9
scottn2retro

Solid rear sub-frame bushing installed. Part of the reinforcement repair is above it.

Photo Gallery
Old 06-14-2006, 12:55 AM   #10
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Just curious, what did you paint/coat the newly welded on reinforcement with?
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:46 AM   #11
scottn2retro

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
Just curious, what did you paint/coat the newly welded on reinforcement with?
I'll have to ask what he used on the bottom, but it's some kind of primer/rust resistant paint.

On the inside of the trunk, we'll use some primer and then the Imola red without the clearcoat. Here is what the repair looks like on the trunk side
Photo Gallery
Old 12-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Driver08

My Ride: '88 325is, '04 ZHP
subframe bushings

Does anyone have an opinion on the benefits of using solid subframe bushings without the reinforcement kit. One school of thought is that the rubber bushings allow the subframe to "wind up" and put undo stress on the chassis mounting points. The other school of thought is that the softer mounts help protect the chassis from tearing. Besides the depth (cost) of installation I can't install the TMS reinforcement kit without negating my warranty but the bushings would likely go unnoticed. I'm a long time autocrosser and track day participant in my E30 and I keep reading things that make me think I bought a chassis made of craft paper in the E46. I plan to install the front strut tower reinforcement plates as well as rear shock mounts as preventative maintenance along a modified CDV valve for better feel. The E30 will still be the toss-around car but I'd like to think that once I can get and LSD in the E46 I will be able to have some fun with it without constantly worrying about suffering a failure. Mine is a later version ('04, ZHP package) and from what i've read the chassis tear is quite less common at this point. I guess I'm fishing for some reassurance as well as information. Thanks.
Driver08 is offline   Reply With Quote