E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-08-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
kingkassis

My Ride: 2000 323 Ci Dinan 3
Please Help! Brownish foamy whipped stuff in my radiator coolant

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know why I have this foamy brown stuff in my radiator? Please see attached pics. After getting a low coolant light, the next day I check my coolant and i found this crap. I decided to do a complete flush, so I drained the system completely, all the way to the engine block. Flushed a couple of times with a garden hose, then i added BMW coolant and distilled water. I ran for a couple of miles and recheck, and I still got this brownish foamy stuff. Any ideas??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coolant1.jpg
Views:	953
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	187029   Click image for larger version

Name:	coolant2.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	187030  

Last edited by kingkassis; 07-08-2006 at 07:09 PM.
kingkassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
kingkassis

bump
Old 07-08-2006, 07:24 PM   #3
UnBreakable

My Ride: OB E46 328i
Dude, obviously you need to have your system flushed and new coolant.

-l-
'---0-(_)-0---'
UnBreakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
bikergeek

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
bad news, man...that's engine oil getting into the coolant. you have either a blown head gasket and/or a cracked head. $$$$ to fix.
bikergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 12:36 PM   #5
mikemartin9

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikergeek
bad news, man...that's engine oil getting into the coolant. you have either a blown head gasket and/or a cracked head. $$$$ to fix.
that is indeed a sign if a blown head gasket
mikemartin9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:09 PM   #6
Bring Me Women

My Ride: 328i
Your oil appears very normal....I do not think that your head gasket is blown.

A. You did not overheat the engine
B. The coolant was fine just before the addition of the aftermarket coolant
C. Coolant turned to sludge after the addition of aftermarket sludge

You need to flush your cooling system very well...this includes removal of the block drain plug, res plug, rad plug.
Bring Me Women is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 01:24 PM   #7
rooneym

My Ride: 2001 E46 325I
Send a message via AIM to rooneym
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Me Women
Your oil appears very normal....I do not think that your head gasket is blown.

A. You did not overheat the engine
B. The coolant was fine just before the addition of the aftermarket coolant
C. Coolant turned to sludge after the addition of aftermarket sludge

You need to flush your cooling system very well...this includes removal of the block drain plug, res plug, rad plug.
+1

I would have a COMPLETE coolant flush (pressurzied and all that good stuff). You might have to do this a few times to get rid of all the old coolant, but it's worth it.

Also, your oil looks fine, so your head gasket is probably OK. Just start off with a few good coolant flushes (with OEM anti-freeze), and see what happends. Good Luck,

-Mike
rooneym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #8
kingkassis

oh man!! Can any one out there confirm what bikergeek said?
Old 07-08-2006, 07:39 PM   #9
Marlin311
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 328ci
Who S*** in your coolant?
Old 07-08-2006, 07:46 PM   #10
QuiKsiLvrCSL

My Ride: Black on Black ZHP
Send a message via AIM to QuiKsiLvrCSL
i have no idea what that is but it makes sense what biker geek said.....do yourself a favor and call a local gas station with a mechanic or the bmw dealership.....doesnt look good bro
QuiKsiLvrCSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #11
BmwPerfection

My Ride: 3.5 M3 & 00 323ci
Send a message via AIM to BmwPerfection
Biker is right, one way to verify it is by checking your oil to see if you have coolant there, when you have a blown head gasket the oil over flows into the ports where your coolant runs in the head. Did you car ever over heat at some point??
Old 07-08-2006, 07:59 PM   #12
kingkassis

no the car never overheated. The funny thing is about two weeks ago i checked the coolant and it was a little low. So I added off the shelf premixed coolant and the coolant in the radiator looked very clean. Last night i was driving and the coolant light came on. So i drove for about 4 miles with the light on until i got home. The next day i went down first thing in the morning to check on the coolant and when i opened the cap that stuff started to spew out. I found it weird because although the engine was cold, when i turned the cap i felt it was pressurized. coolant and nasty sh*t continued to spew out. The car was in the sun and it was about 90 degrees so that could have been it.

The oil looks clean, there is no sign of anti-freeze there. Although it was about half a quart low.

what do you think?
Old 07-08-2006, 08:12 PM   #13
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
Sorry to say, but that is a classic sign of a blown head gasket. When a leak develops in the head gasket it can cause one or many different problems incluing: it may allow engine oil into your coolant. It may also allow coolant into your crankcase oil. Or it can allow coolant into your exhaust system (appears as white exhaust smoke and smells sweet like coolant). You say your checked your oil level and it looked low. That is because your oil is being drawn into the cooling system. You should only drive this car in to get the head gasket replaced. Do not keep driving it until you get it fixed or you could cause much more damage.

Last edited by IxNay; 07-08-2006 at 08:15 PM.
IxNay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:42 AM   #14
Qshio3000

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by IxNay
Sorry to say, but that is a classic sign of a blown head gasket. When a leak develops in the head gasket it can cause one or many different problems incluing: it may allow engine oil into your coolant. It may also allow coolant into your crankcase oil. Or it can allow coolant into your exhaust system (appears as white exhaust smoke and smells sweet like coolant). You say your checked your oil level and it looked low. That is because your oil is being drawn into the cooling system. You should only drive this car in to get the head gasket replaced. Do not keep driving it until you get it fixed or you could cause much more damage.
Werd. It's likely many or all of the above (plus the possibilty of a bent head). Get towed to a good indy if you're out of warranty. GL
Qshio3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:33 AM   #15
Beefweasal

My Ride: '08 335i Coupe
It almost looks like you mixed Dexcool and normal antifreeze, but from the picture you posted you didnt.
Beefweasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:13 PM   #16
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkassis
So I added off the shelf premixed coolant and the coolant in the radiator looked very clean.
Use only BMW coolant in your system along with distilled water or you are just asking for trouble.
IxNay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #17
kingkassis

i know that was a big mistake.... I figured a little off-the-shelf topping off wouldn't hurt. I can't believe though a small thing like that could have caused the blown gasket...

Quote:
Use only BMW coolant in your system along with distilled water or you are just asking for trouble.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:48 PM   #18
kingkassis

Thanks everyone for your input!! Very much appreciated. You guys have confirmed my worst fears...

How much should i expect to dish out for this at the stealership?

Anyone have experience with this?
Old 07-08-2006, 10:08 PM   #19
Cobra

My Ride: '00 328i & '06 R6S
Quote:
i've used other coolants for a long time, and i never had problems... of course my mechanic told me it's recommended, so i guess i'll switch to bmw coolant for my next flush. nothing to worry about.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:35 AM   #20
Bring Me Women

My Ride: 328i
I suspect your problem might be the fact that you used off the shelf coolant mixed the BMW original stuff and a reaction ocurred to create sludge. I would also suspect that you have a cooling system leak also. The M52TU engine is not known to blow head gaskets....however, it is known to have coolant leaks.

Last edited by Bring Me Women; 07-09-2006 at 01:39 AM.
Bring Me Women is offline   Reply With Quote