E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-20-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
DIY: Driveshaft Rebuild/Repair

I had picked up a Driveshaft for $100 at a junk yard that needed a little work. Flex Disc aka (Guibo) was torn to shreds. Center Mount was falling off and center sleeving well lets just say didn't look to good. Anyways in the midst of still waiting for a new clutch kit and SSK I decided to post this write.

Tools Needed:

Dremel w/Grinding Bit
Snap Ring Pliers
Rubber Mallet
42mm Open ended wrench or large Cresent Wrench
18mm Wrench and or sockets
3 jaw puller
Grease

Parts Needed:

The only part that will vary from auto to manual is the flex disc this one however is for a manual. (the difference being the autos is slightly larger)

Flex Disc - P/N# 26111227410 - FREE for me since it came with the tranny I bought
Center Mount - P/N# 26127501257 ~ $26 @ www.autohausaz.com
Centering Sleeve - P/N# 26117526611 ~ $10
Clamping Sleeve - P/N# 26117514037 ~ $10
Circlip or locking ring (whatever you want to call it) - P/N# 26123648156 ~ $1
Butyl Tape - P/N# 26127511140 ~$3 (However this is for when you reinstall the driveshaft on the car, for some reason my car didn't have any when I removed my autos driveshaft, but I'm gong to use this anyways.
3 - Hex Nuts - P/N# 07129900047 ~ $0.50 each
3 - Hex Bolts - P/N# 26117523709 ~ $2.00 each

Step 1:

Remove Flex Disc aka (Guibo) When I bought it (The driveshaft) it was literally torn to shreds so that thing needed replacement. Well it's only held on by 3 - 18mm Bolts and Nuts. So whip out your wrench and socket and remove them. Supposedly I think the bolts are one time bolts, so I bought new ones anyways just to be safe.

Step 2:

Since my centering sleeve was not looking so good I decided it needed to be replaced. BMW apparently doesn't give a time frame on when it should be replaced. But I have a feeling the people at the junkyard didn't know how to remove the driveshaft. For when I removed my automatic driveshaft my centering sleeve looked perfect.

Anyways I had originally bought a small 1/4" to like an 1" bearing puller to pull the centering sleeve out. Well that didn't work and the puller broke an arm. So I took a dremel with a grinding bit and carefully ground away at the centering sleeve until it came out.

Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
Ivegotissues666

Weapon of choice:

This stupid thing broke:

Step 3:

Seperating the driveshaft, make note of the two white paint marks made from the factory on the driveshaft. You are to reconnect the driveshaft using these as reference. If you are off even one spline, it could result in an unbalanced driveshaft. If there are no marks or white dots then make your own marks.

Loosen the clamping sleeve, it's about 42mm but I just used a Large Cresent wrench, plus the torque spec is really really small. One clamping sleeve is fully loosened you can seperate the driveshaft.

Old one on the right and new one on the left:

Step 4:

Remove the Lock ring holding the center bearing of the center mount in place. Use your lock ring pliers to do so. Next you can now remove the center mount with bearing. Since my mount practically crumbled off I just needed to remove the bearing. For this I whipped out my trusty 3 jaw puller which did the trick nicely. Apparently some people say you can "supposedly" remove the bearing by hand. Honestly I don't think thats possible since the thing is pressed on.

I know I know I used a screwdriver in this picture but lock ring pliers would have been easier:

Center Bearing Mount:

Puller:

Old 07-20-2006, 08:49 AM   #3
Ivegotissues666

Seperated:

Step 5:

Once everything is removed, cleanup the driveshaft center sleeving are of all the metal shavings, clean the splines free of grease since you will be reapplying new grease.

Step 6:

Installing the centering sleeve, simply apply some grease to the hole the sleeve will rest in. Now put the centering sleeve in the hole, it will need to be pressed in, well thats where your trusty mallet will come into play. The center sleeving is suppose to protude the slot 4mm. So in order to do this you must hammer the sleeve in with your mallet and keep double checking the measurements untill you get to or pretty damn close to 4mm.

Grease:

Pressing:

Old 07-20-2006, 08:50 AM   #4
Ivegotissues666

Just bout right:

Step 7:

After you installed your center sleeving you can now move onto the center mount. The one you ordered should have already come with the bearing pressed into the rubber mount. Apply some grease to where the center mount will go. Once again his will have to be pressed on, and will be a little harder because you don't want to damage the bearing.

I made a device out of pipe and a tranny input shaft seal I had lying around. The tool I made rested perfectly against the bearing and rubber. Now put your tool to the test and use your mallet again or you can use a 3 lb hammer and give it a few light taps to press the bearing on.

Note: that where you removed the lock ring clip there is a small groove in the driveshaft. DO NOT press the bearing past this point just enough to reapply the new lock ring, I don't know if there is any detrimental affect, but I just wouldn't chance it thats all.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:51 AM   #5
Ivegotissues666

Step 8:

Reassembly of the driveshaft, apply grease to the splines and put on the ew clamping sleeve you have purchased, I'm sure you can use your old one but I just decided to go with a new one. Realign the driveshaft according to the white factory paint marks. REMEMBER IF YOU ARE EVEN OFF ONE SPLINE YOU WILL MAKE THE DRIVESHAFT UNBALANCED. Slightly tighten the clamping sleeve but not fully until you are installing the drveshaft back onto the car.

Clamping Sleeve:

Reassembled:

Step 9:

Last Step, now reinstall your new flex disc aka (guibo) using the new Hex Bolts and Nuts you ordered. Using a 18mm wrench and smaller breaker bar with 18mm socket this can be easily done.

Have fun and enjoy, any questions or comments feel free to ask.

Jared
Old 07-21-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
guitar_man

My Ride: sticks like glue
great post.

J
guitar_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
Chris_A

My Ride: 320d
Nice one!
Chris_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
this is a good one!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #9
forza

My Ride: 02 325i S/P
U-joint replacement?

Great post! Anyone have any experience with replacing u-joints?

Thanks Jim
forza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #10
vegito

My Ride: BMW 318i E46 2002
Great D.I.Y.. i did this job last week and also my clutch but i have a problem when i drive my car like 80 km than i hear a whinning sound like a diff but i hear it near the transmission. I did't have this sound before i replaced. Could it be that my bearing shot again or maybe te alignment problem?. please help
vegito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:00 PM   #11
Starless

My Ride: 02' 325i
All pictures are gone

Can they be restored?
Starless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #12
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starless View Post
All pictures are gone

Can they be restored?
+1 the images no worky
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
pish180

My Ride: 02' M3
Send a message via AIM to pish180
Where all the pictures go?

<-----:::::::::===================== =======================:::::::::----->
pish180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #14
Shimmy23

My Ride: ///M3
I need pics!
Shimmy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:18 PM   #15
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
OP, what kind of grease did you use for the splines?

Thanks--wish the pics worked
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #16
Glory22

My Ride: 323ci
Glory22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 PM   #17
raptorman5174

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by glory22 View Post
+100

18 VMR CSL's
Koni FSD's
Eibach Sport Spring's
UUC Power Pullies
Sprint Booster
raptorman5174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:52 PM   #18
sdbimmer

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
yeah would be nice to have pictures.

you can upload your pics to http://www.tinypic.com/ for free and share again....thanks
sdbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #19
MalibuMafiaV

My Ride: SCed E46 & E60 M5
Wow this would be awesome with pics.
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD

Last edited by MalibuMafiaV; 02-16-2012 at 07:17 PM.
MalibuMafiaV is offline   Reply With Quote