E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 05:21 AM   #1
timax

My Ride: 320 M touring 318Ti
Would you buy BLACK again?

I have mostly had silver cars and would like a change but though I think black looks great when clean I am scared that day to day it wil be a pain to keep looking good. Does any one have any comments on living with a black bimmer?
Tim
timax is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:38 AM   #2
OneHipNip

My Ride: 02 JB M3, 94 T.W DC2
I honestly don't think I will EVER get black again. It is an incredible pain in the ass to keep clean. However, if you have the time to wash/wax black can look incredible.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
robin325ci

My Ride: Helrot 325Ci
black is the hardest to maintain, but it is also the "shiniest" when taken care of. the big problem with black (and dark blue's) is swirl marks. just don't wipe the car when it's dusty and don't use an old rag when washing the car, and you'll be fine. if you want a color that's easy to maintain, go for silver
Old 09-13-2006, 05:55 AM   #4
Emanuel

My Ride: '00 Z3C/'07 Z4MC
I've got TWO black BMWs, and from now on I think all of my cars will be black (see below). Yes, they're difficult to keep clean, but I think those few moments when they are clear are totally worth the effort Which isn't all that much really - 15-20 minutes and $2 in quarters at the local coin wash, once or twice a week. Once a month I wax whichever one I'm driving most. Once a year, I have each detailed, but I'd do that no matter what color my cars were.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:53 AM   #5
Emanuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel View Post
I've got TWO black BMWs, and from now on I think all of my cars will be black (see below). Yes, they're difficult to keep clean, but I think those few moments when they are clear are totally worth the effort Which isn't all that much really - 15-20 minutes and $2 in quarters at the local coin wash, once or twice a week. Once a month I wax whichever one I'm driving most. Once a year, I have each detailed, but I'd do that no matter what color my cars were.
I'm as good as my word - I bought my 3rd black/black BMW last Tuesday, a 2007 M Coupe (some great deals on them right now). The plan now is to get rid of the 2 in my sig and add a black 530i or a black 330C1 cab with ZHP for my topless fix.

Here's a quick picture of it on the trip home from North Carolina, where I bought it: . I'll take some nicer ones when the snow stops.
Old 06-29-2011, 02:40 AM   #6
Emanuel

Quote:
I'm as good as my word - I bought my 3rd black/black BMW last Tuesday, a 2007 M Coupe.
And the trend continues, with my 4th black BMW and my 3rd Z-car, a Z3 Coupe. The stable stands at:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	z3sig.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	407866   Click image for larger version

Name:	z4sig.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	407867  
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
Emanuel

Quote:
I'm as good as my word - I bought my 3rd black/black BMW last Tuesday, a 2007 M Coupe (some great deals on them right now). The plan now is to get rid of the 2 in my sig and add a black 530i or a black 330C1 cab with ZHP for my topless fix.

Here's a quick picture of it on the trip home from North Carolina, where I bought it: . I'll take some nicer ones when the snow stops.
And my 4th black BMW -

Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:58 AM   #8
SilverStreakTeg

My Ride: 2006 325ci
I dont think i would get black again, at least not JET black, its such a *****, even waxing its a pain cause you get streaks of wax you cant see unless your working in a well lit garage. I always had silver cars and you can tell when their clean, and they look clean when their dirty. The Jet Black one gets dirty within 5 minutes of cleaning it. theres already dust on it. But when its clean, its the most beautiful thing ever. I wouldnt get Jet black but maybe the metallic black BMW has.

www.AlbanyAutoGroup.com Sponsored by: DetailedImage.com
SilverStreakTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:12 AM   #9
jeyur

My Ride: e46 325ci / e30 325
i think i would. i REALLY like how the black looks on cars
Old 09-13-2006, 06:28 AM   #10
Beefweasal

My Ride: '08 335i Coupe
I just went from black to silver.....no more black cars for me. Its just too hot and a PITA to keep clean.
Beefweasal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:32 AM   #11
TravsM3

My Ride: 05' 545i, ZSP
I love black - it's the sexiest color at night.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:32 AM   #12
4ngie

My Ride: Chrissspyy
I always say I'll never buy another one because of how hard they are to keep clean, but honestly, when it's clean (which is most of the time for me), it's absolutely gorgeous and I love it.

4ngie likes this.
4ngie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:36 AM   #13
james2538

My Ride: Sold
Its a major pita to keep it clean... but damn is it worth it. Still there are many other unique colors out there that I would look into next go around.
james2538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:56 AM   #14
germanspec330i

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
I'm basically just going to reiterate what everyone else said. It's a huge pain to keep it clean, you wash it and then a day later its already a bit dirty...but when it is washed/waxed nothing beats it.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:09 AM   #15
CPDePrins

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanspec330i View Post
I'm basically just going to reiterate what everyone else said. It's a huge pain to keep it clean, you wash it and then a day later its already a bit dirty...but when it is washed/waxed nothing beats it.
CPDePrins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:50 AM   #16
Sneaky

My Ride: Fixie
4 door bmws need to bmws need to be black.
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #17
zikhkd

My Ride: AMG
Send a message via AIM to zikhkd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
4 door bmws need to bmws need to be black.
say what?
Old 09-03-2007, 07:07 PM   #18
Sneaky

My Ride: Fixie
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikhkd View Post
say what?
Did I stutter?
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:25 AM   #19
Tireux Roche

My Ride: 2002 325i
I had a black Saab 9-3 (What a collosial POS that thing was) and don't think I'll ever do black again.
Tireux Roche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 07:40 AM   #20
Lugnut2683

My Ride: Lotus Elise
Send a message via AIM to Lugnut2683
Thumbs Up Not a BMW but...

I have personally never owned a black vehicle, by my parents have.

My dad once had a black 85' Vette. It looked sick when clean (I was the one always detailing it even as a young kid). I found it hilarious that he said he would never own a black car again because it was so hard to keep clean, even though I was the one who was always cleaning it. Even at like age 10, I was freaking out when he would drive through puddles right after I washed it,

In 04', my parents purchased a new Jaguar XJ8... in black, in spite of their promise to never own a black car again. Once they saw it, they simply couldn't resist! They also now live on a dirt road, so weekly washings are mandatory, if not twice a week! They used to keep the dust off the car with the California Car duster, but you should only really use that for pollen, and not dust from dirt as it can scratch the clearcoat.

The XJ8 is an otherwise "plainly" (yet classy) styled car. I've seen some in beige and they just disappear in traffic along with the multitude of other plain looking cars like Hondas and Toyotas. But because their car is black, it really has an upscale look to it that makes it stand out. I love the color... especially since I don't live at home and don't have to wash their cars for them weekly anymore! If you can deal with the maintenance, I'd say the color black is definitely worth it.

DIY Garage Build (Updated November 18, 2009):

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=297607
Lugnut2683 is offline   Reply With Quote