E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006, 01:22 PM   #1
texan

My Ride: 323i
CEL(P1477?) after oil separator valve R&R

Replaced oil separator valve. No foghorn sound now but got the CEL (P1477 ?) instead.

This is what Peake research tool tells me: EVAP LDP reed valve cant open.

I am not inclined to believe it is a coincidence, hence the question: What could have I screwed up?

texan
99 323i Sport,5sp 140K
texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Vacum line broken that goes back to the LDP

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #3
texan

Thanks for the quick reply, Seth! On the diagram below, which line is it? I think #7 and 8 connect to purge valve. #9 goes to the 3-2 valve and I couldn't have possibly damaged it since i was working up top. Are there other lines?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	35.png
Views:	481
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	206732  

Last edited by texan; 12-12-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
texan

Update,

I've replaced the short vacuum hose (#8 on the attached diagram) connected to fuel regulator and that seem to have fixed the problem. The hose rubber was dryrotten and i must have damaged it by pulling on it while removing the dipstick tube.

Special thanks to Seth for confirming the vacuum leak diagnosis.

texan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	36.png
Views:	425
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	207011  

Last edited by texan; 12-14-2006 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
RockerGuy

My Ride: Not a BMW
Anybody have any idea what or where the last diagram is pointing to?
I am trying to make sense of it because I have the same problem after replacing the OS.

Thanks
RockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
RockerGuy

My Ride: Not a BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
Anybody have any idea what or where the last diagram is pointing to?
I am trying to make sense of it because I have the same problem after replacing the OS.

Thanks
Bump.

Its warm now. I want to get it fixed. I had it on all winter.

Cheers
RockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
san_siro

I had this exact same code (Peake code : table 15 8D) after replacing the CCV / Oil Separator.
There were no errors before the repair so I knew something did not get put back correctly.

There is 90 degree hose that connects to a vacuum outlet under the intake manifold between
the throttle cable (for those with M52 engines) and the heat shield. It is to the right of the ICV.

This comes out when you removed the oil dipstick guide tube as this hose is attached to it by
a plastic bracket.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1477.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	442275  

Last edited by san_siro; 03-17-2012 at 12:02 AM.
san_siro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
dishroon

My Ride: 2000 328i
Same Problem

I am having the same P1477. I replaced several of the small rubber hoses on the back of the engine under the manifold and by the throttle body. I did notice that same tube sticking out with nothing on it but I cannot find a hose that goes to it. Does anyone know where the other end of the hose that connect to this plastic vacuum nozzle goes. There is another metal hose connector just under it. Is this where the hoses go from one to the other or is this a place for another hose? The plastic nozzle, pictured in the previous thread does have vacuum to it with the car running. The metal nozzle does not.
dishroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #9
san_siro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishroon View Post
I am having the same P1477. I replaced several of the small rubber hoses on the back of the engine under the manifold and by the throttle body. I did notice that same tube sticking out with nothing on it but I cannot find a hose that goes to it. Does anyone know where the other end of the hose that connect to this plastic vacuum nozzle goes. There is another metal hose connector just under it. Is this where the hoses go from one to the other or is this a place for another hose? The plastic nozzle, pictured in the previous thread does have vacuum to it with the car running. The metal nozzle does not.
It's the hose from the fuel tank breather valve that connects to that plastic nozzle in the pic above. Look at #3 from here
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...33&hg=13&fg=15

This part is near the DISA, below and to the left.

Last edited by san_siro; 05-03-2012 at 09:55 PM.
san_siro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
gscott2

Quote:
Originally Posted by san_siro View Post
I had this exact same code (Peake code : table 15 8D) after replacing the CCV / Oil Separator.
There were no errors before the repair so I knew something did not get put back correctly.

There is 90 degree hose that connects to a vacuum outlet under the intake manifold between
the throttle cable (for those with M52 engines) and the heat shield. It is to the right of the ICV.

This comes out when you removed the oil dipstick guide tube as this hose is attached to it by
a plastic bracket.

Good luck.
Thank you for posting this! Just did my CCV a few days ago and got code P1477 as well. I'm sure the cause is the same given how much I messed around in that area.
gscott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
gscott2

Update,

I went looking for the disconnected hose today. It was right where san_siro said it was. I was able to get two photos of the connection point - one where it was disconnected, as I found it, and one with the hose reconnected. The photos were taken with the plastic shield around the brake reservoir removed (no easy task in itself) but that's not necessary to reconnect the hose. The hose was loose enough after I put it back to knock it off with a feather! I put a hose clamp on it for good measure.

The hose is one of several held by the bracket on the oil dipstick guide tube so that's how it gets knocked loose in the CCV replacement. It's one of the small hoses closer to the firewall of the group held in the bracket. If I'd known what I was looking for I probably could have reconnected it without removing anything. Hope the photos help someone save time.

Last edited by gscott2; 02-25-2013 at 08:15 PM. Reason: clarification
gscott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #12
dishroon

Found it, there was a hose that goes back underneath the car and the engine end of the hose was laying on top of the transmission where you couldn't see it from bottom or top. Got underneath and gently pulled on hoses til I found one that was loose and carefully pulled it out and re-connected it to the back of the engine under the manifold and presto, everything is fixed.
dishroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #13
WFRFitness

My Ride: 2000 328CI E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by san_siro View Post

a plastic bracket.

Good luck.
Just fixed! This 90 connector was my problem too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
WFRFitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #14
maxi

My Ride: BMW E46 328I, 1999
thanks for that, I already replaced the CCV and all hoses. I think I have to have a look to this since Im facing some probs with performance.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
nineeight9898

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323Ci
CEL(P1477?) after oil separator valve R&R

great pictures. this solved my problem as well. no more code!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
nineeight9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #16
Zakko

My Ride: 1999 323i
Adding to this 2 second fix for post CCV P1477 codes. Was able to reach back without taking any parts off and reconnected this hose.

Thanks!
Zakko is offline   Reply With Quote