E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #1
alvocado

My Ride: 2002 330CIC Sport
Annoying Suspension Chirp

I've seen a few posts regarding this but no definitive resolution. I'm getting a chirping sound from my passenger front suspension when I drive over sharp bumps. A big bump doesn't trigger it but expansion joints, etc. do. It's pretty noticeable with the windows or top down and is really annoying. I have newer Meyle arms and bushings and replaced the sway bar links with Febi replacements about 2 mos. ago. I didn't hear the noise until about a month after replacing the links. Has anyone experienced this and been able to pinpoint the source? I don't have any loseness or suspension performance loss, just the annoying noise.
alvocado is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
grzes12n

My Ride: SRT8
I have it too, I just replaced my meyle control arms with bushings and my sway links are on the way maybe it is the tie rods or the strut mount?
grzes12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
JK1150

My Ride: 2004 325CI
my friend's dodge has this so i'd be interested in the resolution as well...
JK1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:01 AM   #4
alvocado

Has anyone experienced this with Meyle sway bar links? I wish I would have tried them vs. the Febi/Bilstein. It seems strange that this started within weeks of replacing my worn factory links.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
MJRMatt330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to MJRMatt330
i hear this sound every so often from the passenger side too... my FCAB's and gang are bad so i was hoping that was the cause... guess not... somebody help us
Interior/Sound- Tri-M3 wheel, Leather ///M shiftknob, DICE iPod integration, JL Audio 10" Whoofers, Custom Box, JL Audio 250/1 Amp

MJRMatt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #6
dogdaysunrise

My Ride: Sechsundvierzig
Same here, rear, passenger side...annoying, but only when window is down and music not cranked up....hahaaaa.....
dogdaysunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
grzes12n

I have it in the front and rear
Old 06-12-2008, 02:24 PM   #8
alvocado

I'm amazed that so many hear it but no one has figured out the cause. I'm pretty certain it's not a serious issue so it's definitely low priority; just a nuisance. I'm tempted to hit my links and sway bar bushings with Dupont teflon spray to see if that makes a difference.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
MightyY

My Ride: '05 M3, '08 A6
I jstarted hearing a chirp in the rear passenger side, too. Haven't noticed it in a few days, so maybe it was just the hot weather....
Old 06-19-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
alvocado

Even the cicadas can't mask the chirp. It's driving me nuts. Anyone solve this? I've asked Ruben at Desert Motorworks to quote the Meyle stabilzer bar links. I might try swaping out the Febi and see if that solves it.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:34 PM   #11
naraM

My Ride: JDM
hahha my friends e36 used to get it. He doesnt get it anymore i wonder what he did.
naraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:47 PM   #12
Bimmaniac32

My Ride: '05 ZHP
its my opinion that this could very well be normal. I occasionally hear it on my ZHP also. Its possible that its just the shock absorber compressing.. the liquid/gas being shot through the holes in the internal plate that dampens the forces.. If you look at a cutaway of a shock you'll know what i mean.
Bimmaniac32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #13
neil1138

I have this problem too! Someone told me that it could be the spring pads going bad. Those rubber pads wear down and let the springs rub against the metal mounts causing the squeaking/chirping noise.
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #14
ledfut

My Ride: '99 328i
It could be so many things, you really need to get out of the car, move the suspension, and try and track it down.

It could be as simple as greasing the sway bar bushings, or as complicated as replacing your control arms.
ledfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
dogdaysunrise

My Ride: Sechsundvierzig
UPDATE:

I figured mine out, it was the brake pads, they had play.
The clip in the rear had not enough tension and the one in the front was completely missing.

BMW charged me ~$25 for it....a piece of metal that should be no more than $5, but okidoki......
dogdaysunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
alvocado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdaysunrise View Post
UPDATE:

I figured mine out, it was the brake pads, they had play.
The clip in the rear had not enough tension and the one in the front was completely missing.

BMW charged me ~$25 for it....a piece of metal that should be no more than $5, but okidoki......
Interesting. I was at my mechanic a couple of weeks ago for an unrelated issue on my SUV and asked his opinion. He said it's common for the brake pads to make a chirping noise on VW's if they aren't fully secured. I don't know how similar the pad/caliper design is but now that you tracked your problem down to the pads, I'm going to inspect mine.

I'll pick up a couple of clips and replace the fronts and report back afterwards. Thanks for the follow-up information on this.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #17
grzes12n

I will check mine but i dont think this is my problem
Old 08-01-2008, 04:46 PM   #18
alvocado

I haven't bought the clips yet but I noticed that I can easily flex the clip off the caliper on the fronts with my fingers but the backs are super tight; I can't budge them. If the fronts are that lose, it seems reasonable that the caliper would move in the carrier over sharp bumps. I'm picking up the clips tomorrow and will report back.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #19
grzes12n

FIXED!!

I bent the clips and put grease on the back of the pads without taking them out. noise is gone!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #20
alvocado

The new clips eliminated 90% of my chirp. When I compared the original clip with the new part, there was about a 1/4 inch difference in the position of the end of the clip that would rest on the top of the caliper. This explains the reduced tension. It may have been an option to bend the clip back but for $30, I put two new clips on. I do still get an occasional chirp very infrequently over really harsh bumps but I'm certain that's from the pads needing some anti-sqeal. It's not a surprise considering how noisy these Axxis pads have been. The dealer gave me (free) a can of graphite based lubricant they use on factory pad backing plates to absorb squeal so I'll give that a try and see if the chirp completely disappears.