E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 07:18 AM   #1
Titanium 325

My Ride: '01 325Ci
19's rubbing in front on stock sport suspension....

First off I have searched and still cannot find what I am looking for here, so bear with me.

Ok, I just put 19" Miro M6 reps on my car with 235 35 19 fronts and 265 30 19 rears. I am rubbing more often in the front then the rear. I have a wheel well gap with the stock sport suspension, so I am perpelexed as to why it is rubbing.

I do not see any scars on the sides of the tire and I think it must be hitting on the splash guards or something.

Any of you with lowred cars on 19s have this issue? If so, how did you address it? I am afraid to drop the car if I am rubbing now. The offsets are correct for my car, I double checked them before I orderd the wheels. so I don't think it is that.

Please let me know your thoughts. It is only rubbing when the suspension is under load (cornering at speed and some dips) and not when parking or anything like that. It is very odd. It does not rubb all the time, so I am assuming I am hitting the splash guard on the fronts somewhere.

Thoughts? Here are a couple of pics to show that it is not slammed or even all that close to touching. Very odd.

Will have to take a more striaght side shot, but you can still see the wheel gap. The offset is E46 specific and is what the various vendors are carrying. Any thoughts on this issue are apprecaited.

Thanks.

Mods - M3 Style Lip Spoiler, ACS Replica Roof Spoiler (bowed in the middle), Predator Chromium Angel Eyes, P46 Xenons, Smoked Side, Corners and LED Tails, Blacked out Kidney Grills, Self Painted Bumper Reflectors, K&N Drop-in Filter, 19" Miro M6 Reps in Time Attack

Titanium 325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:26 AM   #2
M3_GTR

My Ride: hates driveways
are you sure there 19's
they look massive

FOR SALE!
M3_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:37 AM   #3
Titanium 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_GTR View Post
are you sure there 19's
they look massive
Positive. LOL

Mods - M3 Style Lip Spoiler, ACS Replica Roof Spoiler (bowed in the middle), Predator Chromium Angel Eyes, P46 Xenons, Smoked Side, Corners and LED Tails, Blacked out Kidney Grills, Self Painted Bumper Reflectors, K&N Drop-in Filter, 19" Miro M6 Reps in Time Attack

Old 10-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
something has to be wrong. I ran staggered 19's on stock sport suspension with 235 in front and 265 in the rear and never had rubbing issues. Even now, dropped on pss9s, I don't have any rubbing. Something has to be wrong with the offset or camber.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #5
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
something has to be wrong. I ran staggered 19's on stock sport suspension with 235 in front and 265 in the rear and never had rubbing issues. Even now, dropped on pss9s, I don't have any rubbing. Something has to be wrong with the offset or camber.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
01330vert

My Ride: 2008 550i M
dude i had the same exact problem with my miro m6 reps. i am running the same tire size setup. to eliminate the front rubbing i had to purchase a new suspension. my stock sport suspension was shot with 95,xxx miles on it. the new shocks would give you less bounce and eliminate some rubbing. you best bet is to do what i did and use this opportunity to grab a set of coilovers! the rear will likely rub on you also, to fix the rear i had my fenders cut, it eliminated all rub even with the backseat full. pm me if you need any help

2001 330 CiC - SOLD
2005 Audi A6 4.2 - TOTALED
2008 Honda CBR600RR - SOLD
2008 550i M - SOLD
2007 X5 4.8i M - SOLD
1992 BMW 318i Vert swapped w/ S50
2001 330 Ci
01330vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
Titanium 325

[Quite=2001_328Ci]something has to be wrong. I ran staggered 19's on stock sport suspension with 235 in front and 265 in the rear and never had rubbing issues. Even now, dropped on pss9s, I don't have any rubbing. Something has to be wrong with the offset or camber. [/quote]

I have not had an alignment yet, so it could be the camber as well. But I am wondering if the stock shocks are at their limit. They do have 81K on them. The car never seemed to bounce much though before and rode very tight and still does, but I guess it just has too much up and down movement for the 19s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01330vert View Post
dude i had the same exact problem with my miro m6 reps. i am running the same tire size setup. to eliminate the front rubbing i had to purchase a new suspension. my stock sport suspension was shot with 95,xxx miles on it. the new shocks would give you less bounce and eliminate some rubbing. you best bet is to do what i did and use this opportunity to grab a set of coilovers! the rear will likely rub on you also, to fix the rear i had my fenders cut, it eliminated all rub even with the backseat full. pm me if you need any help
That is what I have been wondering. I really don't have the funds to do coilovers right now... I may just have to replace the shocks for now. Unless I can find a reasonable kit somewhere and get it installed though my Indy shop as well.

I will have to check on that. Thanks man. I apprecaite it!

I was wondering if the aftermarket springs are tight enough to keep the front end from compressing so much even though they sit lower?

Old 10-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #8
Cruzader

My Ride: Alpinweiß facelift
i have just under 60,000 miles on my sport suspension and my front passenger fender has been pulled down by my tire. i have a buncha scars on my tire edge now and it usually happens when im turning and theres a bump/pothole. the first time it happened was when i was visiting home in a construction zone that i was not familiar with, hit a big pothole, and that got it pretty bad. it hasnt stopped happening since then since roads in tallahassee suck.